Jumpgate Is An Overhaul of the Roll20 VTT

A new engine with a focus on improved performance and user interface.

A new engine with a focus on improved performance and user interface.

Our Founder in Residence Riley introduces Roll20 Jumpgate: a major reworking of what powers our VTT + efforts to integrate the new UI redesign efforts for a faster, more modern experience.

IMG_8974.jpeg

Jumpgate is the name of our overall project to deliver to you the largest overhaul and modernization of our VTT platform since we started. It’s a major reworking of the lowest level of the engine code that powers our VTT, as well as an opportunity for us to bring together all of the recent strides we’ve made with our new UI redesign efforts.
Bottom line: it means a faster, more performant VTT, with a beautiful modern interface, built on top of the latest web technology that will last us well into the future.

Here is a stress test video.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There is a new update. The interesting one to me is the touch support. I’ve said for a while tablet and phone support can be huge especially in new markets.

Nice to see Roll20 uping their game. I run all my games in Foundry but occasionally am a player in games run on Roll20. Competition is good.

MNblockhead

Make it super easy to import maps (I mean, that's why I like maps w/o grids, so I don't have to fiddle with sizing as much, but that isn't always possible). The UI needs some work, hope that's fixed (fonts too).
YES, this. Also my main complaint about foundry. Pulling up and applying a grid on the DnD Beyond map function was a revelation. It is SO easy. Makes me much less forgiving about the experience in Roll20 and Foundry.
The one huge advantage it has on Foundry is the ability to have WotC rules native....
How is the automation in Roll20 these days? I can import my DnD Beyond content in Foundry easy enough and only have to pay for it once, so just having the content in Roll20 isn't much of an attraction for me, unless I was starting from scratch and only buying the content in Roll20. Even then, it is so much more pleasant to read rules content on DnD Beyond than any VTT I've used. Even with Warhammer 4e having all the content in Foundry, I still ended up buying the PDFs of many of the books because reading through rules in popout windows just isn't as convenient and pleasant. But with DnD Beyond, I've read entire D&D books entirely on my phone without an issue.

The downside with Foundry is getting the automations to work takes a lot of time and patience testing and troubleshooting community mods and I get running into issues here and there that we just used DnD Beyond for PC character sheets. Fantasy Grounds was very good for the little I used it, but I could never host games without internet issues from my area. From speaking with others, it seems that there are many countries that Fantasy Grounds has issues with hosting games from. Though it may have gotten better over the past three or four years. I've NEVER had an issue with Roll20, even with poor internet from countries that highly restrict internet activity. With Foundry I use a third party host (forge-vtt.com), which has had really good performance. But Roll20 has always been the easiest, non-hassle VTT when it comes to network issues.
If anyone had the perfect character creator (like dndbeyond) that would be HUUUUUUGE.
DnD Beyond is the best and I just sync it to Foundry. I've seen tools that enable this for Roll20 as well. Do they not work well?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
YES, this. Also my main complaint about foundry. Pulling up and applying a grid on the DnD Beyond map function was a revelation. It is SO easy. Makes me much less forgiving about the experience in Roll20 and Foundry.

How is the automation in Roll20 these days? I can import my DnD Beyond content in Foundry easy enough and only have to pay for it once, so just having the content in Roll20 isn't much of an attraction for me, unless I was starting from scratch and only buying the content in Roll20. Even then, it is so much more pleasant to read rules content on DnD Beyond than any VTT I've used. Even with Warhammer 4e having all the content in Foundry, I still ended up buying the PDFs of many of the books because reading through rules in popout windows just isn't as convenient and pleasant. But with DnD Beyond, I've read entire D&D books entirely on my phone without an issue.

The downside with Foundry is getting the automations to work takes a lot of time and patience testing and troubleshooting community mods and I get running into issues here and there that we just used DnD Beyond for PC character sheets. Fantasy Grounds was very good for the little I used it, but I could never host games without internet issues from my area. From speaking with others, it seems that there are many countries that Fantasy Grounds has issues with hosting games from. Though it may have gotten better over the past three or four years. I've NEVER had an issue with Roll20, even with poor internet from countries that highly restrict internet activity. With Foundry I use a third party host (forge-vtt.com), which has had really good performance. But Roll20 has always been the easiest, non-hassle VTT when it comes to network issues.

DnD Beyond is the best and I just sync it to Foundry. I've seen tools that enable this for Roll20 as well. Do they not work well?
beyond20 works for both foundry and roll20....it is what we use (your last question).

I do import stuff from dndbeyond to foundry, but not everyone wants to do that. I do it for the same reason you do (well, two reasons). First, I only pay once, no idea why you'd want to pay on roll20 and dndbeyond. I'm guessing this will be blocked at some point? Second, I want more of that native in foundry (makes using monsters easier).

As for automation, it is just too much work for me in foundry. It is part of what makes dmhub intriguing to me (alas, they only support the srd, but you can add your own stuff. also, no beyond20 connection) as it does automation easily.

It's actually shaping up to be nicer than I expected. And good performance on lower end devices is a significant plus (when we used Foundry, one of our players used an older Intel-based Macbook and his experience was definitely subpar).

MNblockhead

It's actually shaping up to be nicer than I expected. And good performance on lower end devices is a significant plus (when we used Foundry, one of our players used an older Intel-based Macbook and his experience was definitely subpar).
Out of curiosity, was the DM running Foundry from his/her computer, or from a hosting service like The Forge?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads