Jumpgate Is An Overhaul of the Roll20 VTT

A new engine with a focus on improved performance and user interface.

A new engine with a focus on improved performance and user interface.

Our Founder in Residence Riley introduces Roll20 Jumpgate: a major reworking of what powers our VTT + efforts to integrate the new UI redesign efforts for a faster, more modern experience.

IMG_8974.jpeg

Jumpgate is the name of our overall project to deliver to you the largest overhaul and modernization of our VTT platform since we started. It’s a major reworking of the lowest level of the engine code that powers our VTT, as well as an opportunity for us to bring together all of the recent strides we’ve made with our new UI redesign efforts.
Bottom line: it means a faster, more performant VTT, with a beautiful modern interface, built on top of the latest web technology that will last us well into the future.

Here is a stress test video.

Out of curiosity, was the DM running Foundry from his/her computer, or from a hosting service like The Forge?
At the time we were trying, the DM was running from his own computer. Cannot tell if it would have been better for our Mac player after the switch to Forge hosting (I didn't notice any differences on my end), because he had switched to his gaming notebook for our sessions by then.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
At the time we were trying, the DM was running from his own computer. Cannot tell if it would have been better for our Mac player after the switch to Forge hosting (I didn't notice any differences on my end), because he had switched to his gaming notebook for our sessions by then.
DMs bandwidth and location can create issues with any VTT hosted on the DMs local computer and network.

The other thing is making sure that the player has hardware acceleration enabled on their browser.

The other thing is making sure that the player has hardware acceleration enabled on their browser.
I think that's the core problem. Hardware acceleration seems to be less than ideal on Intel Macs - from what I read on the Foundry subreddit, there are no problems on the Apple Silicon/M chip Macs, though.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think that's the core problem. Hardware acceleration seems to be less than ideal on Intel Macs - from what I read on the Foundry subreddit, there are no problem on the Apple Silicon/M chip Macs, though.
I have an M1 (2020) and have never had an issue. Never owned an Intel Mac, much less used Foundry one one, so I can't compare.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
DMs bandwidth and location can create issues with any VTT hosted on the DMs local computer and network.

That's what the roll20 help says, but it in fact started working much better (relatively) for me when I turned the acceleration OFF.

Reynard

Legend
Here's a question participants in this thread may be able to answer: I forgot that I had subbed to Roll20 last year for a game that ended up not happening, and recently my sub renewed. So, if I do not want to purchase "books" for Roll20 and just use the platform, what game works really well out of the box with just a Roll20 sheet and free resources.

Note: I have used Roll20 just a couple times. The most successful was a Mutants and Masterminds 3E campaign.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Here's a question participants in this thread may be able to answer: I forgot that I had subbed to Roll20 last year for a game that ended up not happening, and recently my sub renewed. So, if I do not want to purchase "books" for Roll20 and just use the platform, what game works really well out of the box with just a Roll20 sheet and free resources.

Note: I have used Roll20 just a couple times. The most successful was a Mutants and Masterminds 3E campaign.
There is a browser extension that exports the die roll from the D&DBeyond character sheet to Roll20. I would use that if a D&DBeyond subscriber.

MarkB

Legend

I've only played a couple of systems on Roll20, but their free playbook and crew sheets for Blades in the Dark work really well. You'd have to pay extra for things like city district maps, but those can be easily imported if you have them available from elsewhere.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads