D&D (2024) Jumping ahead: Bring back Bloodied for monsters

Was that asterisk meanto to be linked to a footnote, because if so it was orphaned. Given the scare quotes, I am assuming the 'ranger' was not technically a ranger, so maybe some clarification on what it actually was? EDIT: Not having a go (I do that sort of thing all the time). Just curious!
we were using the middle earth 5e books so they had a few new classes and then they renamed some and took the spells away.
so what we would call a ranger is called a wanderer... the wanderer is a ranger without spells but has a single feature called 'known lands' that interacts with the journey system I like. but we never called it a wanderer.... we always called it a ranger.

glass

(he, him)
we were using the middle earth 5e books so they had a few new classes and then they renamed some and took the spells away.
so what we would call a ranger is called a wanderer... the wanderer is a ranger without spells but has a single feature called 'known lands' that interacts with the journey system I like. but we never called it a wanderer.... we always called it a ranger.
Thank you for clarifying. I guessed it would be something like that, but it is good to get the specifics.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I miss Bloodied from 4e. Sometimes the monster's new attack was overwhelming (especially auras) but the announcement was always an indication that the group was making progress taking this monster down.

I agree that 'cannon fodder' foes should not get an attack* at Bloodied but Lieutenants and Bosses should.

Bosses and "special agent" (think 007) monsters could get a lasting ability, not just a one-use-power, when they are really hurting.

Some classes of monsters - mindless undead, say - get nothing at Bloodied; they don't even recognize there is a problem.

* They might get a disengage-aiding one-shot ability instead.
Thing is, what a monster gets from becoming bloodied IMO shouldn't always have to be to its benefit. For some, it could be a weakening of some sort e.g. a loss of some ability it previously had (an easy example: a bloodied monster with flight can no longer fly, and if already aloft on becoming bloodied must glide to the ground). For others, sure, it could be some one-time big attack or ability use.

Mix it up, is all I'm saying. :)

Iosue

Legend
I can sorta see what you mean now, but even as a condition it doesn't actually do anything other than allow things to trigger off it (and it does not really need separate tracking since the GM and/or relevant player is tracking hp anyway).
Sure. I don't have a problem with a spherical bloodied condition in a vacuum. My problem was more with the multitude of conditions in 4e and the effect that had in play. I thought 5e did well in paring those down, and making combat less reliant on them.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
Not a popular opinion, but id love for pc and monsters to suffer a debuff when bloodied. Maybe half movement and lose one attack, bonus or reaction. Just something to break up the all or nothing hp system.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
IME, those systems tend to just turn into a long and painful death spiral.
That's kind of the point. :)
Great in fiction, but not fun in play.
Just means one has to play differently, that's all; and look at every hit point - rather than just the last one - as being a highly valuable resource not to be expended unless there's no other option.

Don't get hurt, or make sure you get cured up as soon as you do, and the death spiral doesn't become an issue.

Haplo781

Legend
That's kind of the point. :)

Just means one has to play differently, that's all; and look at every hit point - rather than just the last one - as being a highly valuable resource not to be expended unless there's no other option.

Don't get hurt, or make sure you get cured up as soon as you do, and the death spiral doesn't become an issue.
Sorry that isn't a game most of us want to play.

Yaarel

He Mage
Ideally:

Fresh / Refreshed: maximum hit points or some damage, full health, vigor, alertness, skillful response, luckiness, near misses, nonphysical damage, minor fatigue, distraction, only negligible physical damage, light contact (mainly for poison attack and similar), glancing strikes, minor scrapes.

Bloodied: half or more hit point loss, noticeable fatigue, distraction, sloppiness, punchdrunk, superficial but noticeable physical damage, blood drawn, solid impact landing, cut, there will be bruises and need for bandages.

Downed: zero hit points, helpless, loss of control. Depending on the nature of attack, bound, knocked unconscious, or deep physical trauma, organs rupture, bones break, hemorrhaging, system shock, an injury threatening life (or limb) occurs.

One thing I'd like to see used more in RPGs are reverse death spirals. Abilities at bloodied are one way I've seen to do that.

One element I like about this is it gives you a buffer as a GM for setting encounter difficulty. The closer a party gets to a TPK the more abilities they get, which should mean that their likelihood of getting a close win is increased.

In terms of monsters, there's a huge design space in there as mentioned above. Recharges on bloodied, some creatures may run or get weaker, while others become more dangerous. I'd love to see some element of this included in One D&D

Remove ads