[June] What are you reading?

Rykion

Explorer
I just finished reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Reliquary-Pendergast-Book-Douglas-Preston/dp/0812542835/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275575755&sr=8-1"]Reliquary[/ame] by Preston and Child.

I'm currently reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Drillmaster-Valley-Forge-Steuben-American/dp/B003JTHR9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275576251&sr=8-1"]The Drillmaster of Valley Forge[/ame] by Paul Lockhart. Dr. Lockhart was one of my favorite professors back in college.

Mallus

Legend
And quite entertaining, with the exception of the rather frequent and ridiculous sex scenes.
I didn't find the sex scenes too frequent --they're only really two, Myriam Bancroft and Ortega-- and more importantly, they're important thematically. To what extant can we separate mind from body, even when we have the fancy-shmancy technology to do so in a totally literal fashion?

As for them being ridiculous... well, that's kinda par for the course (does anyone do them well?)

And have you read his quasi-fantasy novel The Steel Remains? There's a part near the end that reads like JRPG slash fiction... that said, it's got a lot to recommend it.

Fun books, and interesting tech, but the endings always felt a little underwhelming.
I loved Altered Carbon all the way through. But I find I'm less enamored with Broken Angels. I guess I dug the Chandler/Hammett pastiche aspect of the first one more than the extra SF-inal allure of a alien spaceship in the second.

Also, are their a lot sex scenes in the 2nd? Doesn't seem to fit the story this time around.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I'm reading A Clash of Kings. Before I started I was concerned this series wouldn't live up to the hype. So far it may actually be exceeding it. I'm hoping the quality holds up.

Besides that I'm working my way through DC/Vertigo's Lucifer series. Good read so far.

And when I have time I'll be tackling Beginning ASP.NET 4 in C# and VB. I'm hoping it will enable me to make a more sophisticated version of a website I made for the folks at my workplace to use (I'm not a programmer or web developer at all, but I was the most knowledgeable person in the office and I saw a need, so I made a very basic site in Word.)

Starman

Adventurer
I've been wanting to read that one. I've heard a lot of good things.

I'm not quite a third of the way through it, but I'd still say it is well worth your time. I just wish the next book was out.

I'm reading A Clash of Kings. Before I started I was concerned this series wouldn't live up to the hype. So far it may actually be exceeding it. I'm hoping the quality holds up.

It gets even better with A Storm of Swords, but does dip a bit in quality with A Feast for Crows. Still, the worst of ASoIaF is far better than most of the fantasy novels out there.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I'm not quite a third of the way through it, but I'd still say it is well worth your time. I just wish the next book was out.

It gets even better with A Storm of Swords, but does dip a bit in quality with A Feast for Crows. Still, the worst of ASoIaF is far better than most of the fantasy novels out there.

Encouraging news. Sweet! :cool:

coyote6

Adventurer
Reading Gone Tomorrow, by Lee Child.

I wasn't real happy with Last Argument of Kings, unfortunately. Not sure I'm interested in more from the author, at least not in that setting; I have a feeling it will be more of the same (in more ways than one).

Remove ads