D&D 5E Just a reality check.

Evenglare

Adventurer
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints, fix this, fix that. So I just wanted to make sure, you guys realize the fundamental sweeping game changes aren't going to happen at this point... right? The book has gone off to the printer, over and done with. I can't imagine they are going to release a book with 10 pages of errata as soon as it hits shelves. I get that some people don't understand design choices which is fine, but at this point you are simply going to have to house rule whatever you want them to change. As a side note even though I love the new system I am completely distraught from what I'm reading here and on the wizards forums. It seems as though wizard has completely failed at this release, and that really sucks because I was hoping people would like this system better after 4e, or maybe everyone does like it and the complainers are just a vocal minority or something?

AstroCat

Adventurer
Strange, my interpretation of the general reaction is the exact opposite. I see most people really liking, if not loving 5e D&D. As a matter of fact this is one of the most positive releases I've seen in a long time. I think this bodes really well for the system and the genre.

Last edited:

When 3e was previewed, it drew some bile from those who didn't like it, even after it came out. When 4e was previewed (repeat). When 5e was previewed (repeat).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's generally positive, I've found. And yes, Evenglare, we do realise that the game isn't going to get sweeping changes now.

Phoenix8008

First Post
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints, fix this, fix that. So I just wanted to make sure, you guys realize the fundamental sweeping game changes aren't going to happen at this point... right? The book has gone off to the printer, over and done with. I can't imagine they are going to release a book with 10 pages of errata as soon as it hits shelves. I get that some people don't understand design choices which is fine, but at this point you are simply going to have to house rule whatever you want them to change. As a side note even though I love the new system I am completely distraught from what I'm reading here and on the wizards forums. It seems as though wizard has completely failed at this release, and that really sucks because I was hoping people would like this system better after 4e, or maybe everyone does like it and the complainers are just a vocal minority or something?

I hope they're just a vocal minority. Maybe people got so used to giving feedback in the playtest and getting changes made that it still seems the right thing to do. Overall, I'm very pleased with the new system and looking forward to playing it. I can't wait to see the PHB and other core books. One thing I haven't seen much of (which is cool), is edition wars. Yes, people are complaining or wishing for changes. Not saying that it's the worst thing ever or that 'so and so edition is still better', etc. Most I've seen are wanting some things changed, yes, so they can play it the way they want. But most seem like they are going to play it even if they have to houserule the stuff they want. Very few outright refusing the edition from what I've read at least. That makes it better than 4E already.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Something else to remember - when 4e was released, there actually WERE 10 pages of errata within months of its release, and the policy was rolling errata for months, leading to 100+ page errata doc downloads just to keep up with how the game was officially played. Some people who were used to this in 4e may be expecting this again, and I think that WoTC is trying to get away from that.

Ruzak

First Post
The comments seem to me to be more along the line of "This element of this game I love looks problematic. How can we fix it?" than harsh criticisms of the game as a whole.

Nagol

Unimportant

I find 5e closer to my preferences than 4e, but with enough disconcerting elements that it does not look like a game I'll ever bother running -- other games fit my preferences better. I find it easier to pick a game that matches my preferences than to replace large swaths of a game with house rules.

I still hold out some hope, but some of my issues are structural in nature. I've gone from "likely purchaser" to "will think about buying it if the reviews of the DMG are good enough"

I'd probably play 5e, but I'd chat with the prospective DM first about the rationale for the game engine.

Tortoise

First Post

Despite my concerns, I do like it.

My main concern is that there are things built into Basic that I personally feel should have been options and not part of the baseline of the game (Ability score increases). It is tougher to dig them out than to add them in. Other than that, I see it as a very playable game.

Kinak

First Post
It seems hard to be properly angry at 5e if you were involved in the playtest. I mean, you basically knew what you were getting.

I had my dealbreakers and they're out there breaking deals, but they were doing that for much of the playtest. There's even less point getting worked up about that now than during the playtest when something could, in theory, be done.

Everglare said:
It seems as though wizard has completely failed at this release, and that really sucks because I was hoping people would like this system better after 4e, or maybe everyone does like it and the complainers are just a vocal minority or something?
So if you're seeing a lot of complaints, I'd actually think it's worse than it looks like.

That said, remember to adjust for the fact that this is the internet. Complaining is kind of what we do here.

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads