D&D 5E Just Get Rid of "Saving Throws"

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The thing I dislike about saving throws is that it assumes the player’s action. The player has no opportunity to offer an alternative reaction to the event. Now, for many events the only reaction is to try and leap out of danger, hence the frequent dexterity save. But I still feel it would be nice for players to have some input as to what their character does.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Wow, you’re right!
I have a strong sense for thread necromancy. There are certain discussion topics that are just… beginning of an edition’s lifespan material.

The thing I dislike about saving throws is that it assumes the player’s action. The player has no opportunity to offer an alternative reaction to the event. Now, for many events the only reaction is to try and leap out of danger, hence the frequent dexterity save. But I still feel it would be nice for players to have some input as to what their character does.
I agree! I prefer to describe something about the triggering action or event that the player can respond to - the click of the pressure plate or the enemy caster extracting a ball of guano from their pouch and reeling back to throw it - then asking the player what they do.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
If we're going to have "defense scores" I'd rather just have it be versus the ability score itself. No reason it couldn't work within a bounded accuracy system. It's simpler, and hey it actually makes having an odd numbered ability score somewhat useful!
I was about to post the same thing, almost word for word.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I don't think this is a good idea. There can be a "ring of strength" that makes you stronger and a "ring of climbing" that makes you better at climbing and a "ring of paralysis protection" that makes you more resistant vs paralysis spells.

It would be a very boring game if we had only broad magical effects in the game.
Agreed.

Edit: Failed my saving throw, static defense, ability check versus necromancy....

Remove ads