D&D 5E Just Me, or Are Kobold Press Deep Magic Options Very Unbalanced?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think Kobold Press has the same level of resources for playtesting that WotC has, so I wouldn't expect the same level of final polish. But I've loved their books so far.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't think Kobold Press has the same level of resources for playtesting that WotC has, so I wouldn't expect the same level of final polish. But I've loved their books so far.
In general, I also enjoy their work, and I’m excited for this kickstarter (in spite of how I view the top leadership at Kickstarter).

But I was very curious if others saw the same lack of balance or not.

Now I’m more curious how many folks who don’t worry too much about balance in this context, let martial characters stunt pretty freely, vs how many are pretty strict about what skills can accomplish.

Zardnaar

Legend
Only familiar with their clockwork domain.

Had a Midgard player tonight connect a 10d8 chromatic orb using leylines. Level 4.

Dausuul

Legend
There are several spells that are just strictly less or more powerful/useful versions of PHB spells, but with sprockets or whatever.
That doesn't mean they are unbalanced.

A 3rd-level damage spell that was a superior version of fireball would be unbalanced.
A 3rd-level damage spell that was a superior version of vampiric touch might be almost usable.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Where do you read this stuff?

My experience with Kobolds stuff is it's mixed. Spells not so much archetypes reasonably good. Spells weak, races mixed.

They have printed to most powerful wizard in 5E though with the Geomancer. Only works on Midgard though and ten in certain locations.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases