• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Just played my first 4E game

Bump2daWiza

First Post
I love these threads: "My friends and I gave 4E a chance, here's our list of complaints".

Internet critcs for the win! :yawn:

he is just giving his opinions about the game. He also listed what he liked. ~inappropriate comments removed - PS ~. Some people think it is okay or not even that good a system. Eyes wide open my friend, eyes wide open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhaelen

First Post
Thanks for your opinions on your first game! I always love to read these, regardless if I agree with them or not. Among your list of dislikes I noticed several items that may be more a result of this being your 'first' impressions, than anything else.
[*]Wizards have been seriously neutered. With this 'daily powers', 'encounter powers', 'powers at will' system, one of the major advantages of the wizard - versatility - has been seriously curtailed.
Well the wizard's spellbook still makes the class the most versatile of all 4E classes.
The main difference to 3E wizards is imho, that they're only more versatile within their role, rather than having an amount of versatility to be able to replace every other role.
It's a matter of preferences if you feel this is a change for the better or worse.
[*]The classes don't cover what they ought to. I don't really miss the monk, but bards are sorely mourned. Warlords just don't fill the same role - in fact, I don't really see what the warlord brings to the game that a fighter couldn't.
I completely agree about the monk which is a pretty unique concept that isn't really covered by any existing class. I'm less sure about the bard. The bard's _combat_ role is pretty well covered by the warlord. It's the other aspects of the bard that aren't covered well.
I am truly baffled by your last comment, though. Did you have a look at the fighter and warlord powers? They serve completely different purposes. Did you see both in play?
[*]The whole thing plays like a video game. It seems like it's been designed to feel that way as well, to the point that while we were playing we kept asking our DM if we could 'save game' and at one point I cracked the group up when a player asked "how do I use this skill" and I answered "hold down B and press up." If I want to go play a video game, I'll go play one.
Here you completely lost me.
What did feel like a video game to you? Out of context your comments seem extremely forced. I cannot see anything in the skill system that reminds me of a video game. Could you elaborate?
[*]There isn't enough to distinguish one character from another. Everybody's basically the same. There's not enough options to customise and vary your character.
While I actually disagree, it's likely you are just used to a game with dozens of splatbooks, which eventually you'll have in 4E, as well.

These are just my views on these matters. Naturally, you don't have to agree with me. But I think, if you get some more experience with the system, some of your initial dislikes may dissolve. Keep playing! :)

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
he is just giving his opinions about the game. He also listed what he liked. Not everyone is going to get homo-gay about 4E. Some people think it is okay or not even that good a system. Eyes wide open my friend, eyes wide open.

Hey, Bump2, we don't say "homo-gay" here at ENW. So how about you don't either.

Foundry of Decay

First Post
I love these threads: "My friends and I gave 4E a chance, here's our list of complaints".

Internet critcs for the win! :yawn:

Actually, I really do like threads like this. The poster in question actually PLAYED a session or two of 4e instead of based their like/dislike of the game off of skimming the three rulebooks.

The worst internet critics.. Hell, the worst critics in general are those who base their reviews off of either assumptions, or off of some emotional response.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Interesting feedback, STARP.

What kinds of PCs did you guys end up playing? (How many people in your group, anyways? I get the impression there are quite a number...)
-blarg

Abraxas

Explorer
STARP_Social_Officer said:
The whole thing plays like a video game. It seems like it's been designed to feel that way as well, to the point that while we were playing we kept asking our DM if we could 'save game' and at one point I cracked the group up when a player asked "how do I use this skill" and I answered "hold down B and press up." If I want to go play a video game, I'll go play one.

CADFAN said:
6. This makes me want to bash my head into the wall. 4e is nothing like a video game. 4e uses a fair amount of DM judgment, and simplified math. A video game would use zero DM judgment, and would have no need to simplify the math so that mere humans could comprehend it. 3e was the one that played like a video game, because only a computer could calculate all the different types of bonuses you could get, and assure that you never accidentally stacked two divine ac bonuses or something.

I actually believe there is something to the statement that 4E feels like a video game. I don't think it has anything to do with the necessity (or lack thereof) of a DM or the difficulty in tracking modifiers. I have heard this from a number of people when they first try 4E - and these are folks that

a) don't read ENworld or any rpg website so they aren't being influenced by 4E haters

and

b) aren't lifelong players - most having started with 3E or 3.5E

I will have to ask them why they got that impression. It would be interesting to find out if there is a common element (or elements) that causes this upon first playing 4E

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I actually believe there is something to the statement that 4E feels like a video game. I don't think it has anything to do with the necessity (or lack thereof) of a DM or the difficulty in tracking modifiers.

I rather like 4e and I think it has certain elements that make it feel like a video game. I play WoW with my friends (the same guys I play RPG's with) and I'm the group's main tank, a Paladin. The mechanics in WoW that let me "hold aggro" and keep the bad guys from attacking the more vulnerable party members feel very similar to those in 4e that tend to make the bad guys want to attack the Paladin (or Fighter) instead of the weaker party members.

Abilities with "cooldowns" in WoW remind me of how At Will, Per Encounter and Per Day abilities work in 4e. The fact that harmful effects like poisons last only a few rounds reminds me of how poisons work in WoW. If you can rest for 5 minutes after a fight then you are healed back to full. And no damage lasts through a 6 hour rest. All these things make it feel a bit "videogamey" in my opinion.

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Remove ads