Just realized something about item crafting.

am181d

Adventurer
breschau said:
But, there are no craft skills. So what makes anyone a weapon smith. Desire?

Why would blacksmithing need to be defined mechanically? Is anyone planning a campaign that will feature frequent smelting contents?

(Of course, I don't see much need to define every ritual either.)

rweston

First Post
Enchant item, step one, light the 5 candles....

To Use the Enchant Item Ritual you would not have to take a multiclass feat, you could take 2 feats: "skill focus:Arcane" and "Ritual Caster" (or whatever it's called.

What really stuns me about the item crafting is not that anyone can do it, it's that you can create ANY item of your level or lower in 1 hour once you have the funds to pay the cost of the item.
ANY item except for potions, and they, for some reason, are a 5th level ritual.

I find that weird, and slightly disturbing.

Of course as DM it's easy to say "the Enchant Item ritual has been lost for centuries. There is an Enchant armor Rite, as well as a Craft Magic weapon rite, and a enchant ring ritual, the Holy Ritual of Cloak Weaving,
the Tinker Ritual of teflon coating pots& pan, etc. The Septarchs of the Quantum are trying to solve great Unified Enchantment Ritual, but thus far have not solved it - though they will pay well for the party of adventurers who gains access to the lost library of Sitnalta, wherein the great ritual was one stored..."

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
rweston said:
I find that weird, and slightly disturbing.

There is already a limitation built into the system by not letting you craft anything above your level. No need to add another layer of limitations just to punish player characters. Besides, since rituals only cost money and not feats or anything really valuable it would not be much of a limitation anyway.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
You don't have to have the Arcana skilled trained, or even boosted through feats, since Enchant Magic Item has no skill check. The enchanter can know literally nothing about bat guano and still succeed. :D

breschau

First Post
Revinor said:
One small point is that Enchant Item (and Ritual casting actually) requires Arcana skill, so probably Dwarf Fighter would have to take a multiclass feat to wizard first.

Ritual Caster requires that you're trained in either Arcana or Religion. Both magic item rituals are keyed to Arcana, but neither requires a roll. There's nothing in the ritual section stating you need to be trained in the key skill. Cleric, paladin, warlock, and wizard have access to Religion. Sans paladin for Arcana. It takes a feat for the paladin and warlock to enchant. Multiclassing into any of these classes grants the skill and a power, so just taking the skill training feat is a waste. Then it's ritual caster time.

tophu

First Post
Hella_Tellah said:
You don't have to have the Arcana skilled trained, or even boosted through feats, since Enchant Magic Item has no skill check. The enchanter can know literally nothing about bat guano and still succeed. :D
In my campaign world, you damn sure have to. I won't allow my players to perform a ritual whose key skill they haven't trained.

lukelightning

First Post
tophu said:
In my campaign world, you damn sure have to. I won't allow my players to perform a ritual whose key skill they haven't trained.

Go ahead and let 'em! Where do you think cursed items come from? People making magic items without really knowing what they're doing! :D

Look guys, I just made a sword of fireburst! It's only got a little glitch.... the fire comes out the handle....

Cirex

First Post
Revinor said:
One small point is that Enchant Item (and Ritual casting actually) requires Arcana skill, so probably Dwarf Fighter would have to take a multiclass feat to wizard first.

If the Dwarf Fighter was a NPC, he wouldn't need such thing. Just say he can craft items and voilà.

Maldor

First Post
NMcCoy said:
At 4th level you'd have 3 feats. Even without the multiclass, you can just take Skill Training: Arcana and Ritual Casting.
And NPCs need not follow character rules anyway, but I agree that "fourth level" is a lot more plausible for an item-crafting NPC than "9th level wizard".

where is all this 9th level stuff coming from craft arms and armor only took caster level 5 and i would say you should take cleric rather then wizard becuase the old all father likes it when you put that (lovingly hand crafted adamantime warhammer that you infused with his divine might) up side that giants head or knee cap

Xect

Explorer
lukelightning said:
Go ahead and let 'em! Where do you think cursed items come from? People making magic items without really knowing what they're doing! :D
I'm more afraid of cursed items from those who really know what they are doing :cool:

Remove ads