Just saying hello (and asking a question...shhh)

Techmonster21

First Post
Hey folks I just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Tom and I've been gaming for roughly 5 years or so, kind of a late bloomer IMO. Just recently I've decided to become much better acquainted with the gaming systems I'm involved with and this forum has been extremely helpful thus far and I would like to thank everyone for their collective knowledge.

As for the question I mentioned in the thread title....Currently I'm involved in a D&D 3.5 campaign (DM's decision). It's a relatively low magic setting but I can tell the DM has some sort of plan to turn it into a high magic setting. My current character is a 9th level Warblade.

In a recent encounter my character became separated from the rest of the party (floor caved in and I dropped into a sublevel), and upon my journey to reunite with my companions I encountered a Fire Giant. Luckily I defeated the Giant but only with a few Hit points left to me. After the game session ended the DM looked at me and said "dude, that giant almost killed you, you should have smoked that thing". Now generally my character is far from inadequate in combat but when he said that I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps the DM was exaggerating a bit or if my character build was supposed to be able to "smoke" a Fire Giant. So I guess my question is; should a 9th level warblade single handedly be able to defeat a Fire Giant easily? And if so, what should I do/have done differently to win in a better fashion?

Thanks for any input!

-Tom

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Tom,

Welcome to ENWorld!

I have found that no matter how the character is built, the dice have a mind of their own and can cause even Min/Max character to on occasion have problems.

Not exactly the most informational answer, but there are others who are more adept at the comparisons of classes to mobs. You'll find the people here are pretty helpful, have a good sense of humor and are a great resource for questions.

Also, poke around the site, check out the Living Worlds section if you like PbP. We have some excellent games going.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Giants are brutes and do a LOT of melee damage. A fire giant is CR 10. That means that he was designed to face 4 level 10 characters with a normal array of powers and equipment for a normal challenge. If you have fewer than normal magical items and were level 9 there was a big chance you could have died.

Yeah, a warblade is going to be far more powerful than a character just made with the core rules due to the power slide of classes and feats but still... That should have been a very tough fight so I think you are fine.

IronWolf

blank
Dragonbait is right on. A Fire Giant is CR10. Going against one by yourself puts you at a rather large disadvantage. A CR10 encounter is meant for 4 characters of appropriate and not one 9th level character.

It should have been a very tough encounter, possibly deadly. The fact you survived, regardless of how close it was, is all you need.

Techmonster21

First Post
[MENTION=50177]Artur Hawkwing[/MENTION] That's certainly true. I know I missed a few attack rolls to execute my maneuvers, perhaps that's why I took more damage than the DM thought I should? I dunno lol

[MENTION=29182]Dragonbait[/MENTION] so I guess I should be happy I survived the encounter at all is what it sounds like. Could you please tell me whether or not a Fire Giant qualifies as "Humanoid"? My character wields a +2 greatsword with the Bane:Humanoid quality, the DM had told me the Giant didn't qualify, but to me, anything with 2 legs that walks upright is Humanoid. Am I right or wrong? Sorry I even had to ask, if I had access to a Monster Manual I wouldn't have bothered but unfortunately I don't.

[MENTION=21076]IronWolf[/MENTION] it does seem that way, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
@Dragonbait so I guess I should be happy I survived the encounter at all is what it sounds like. Could you please tell me whether or not a Fire Giant qualifies as "Humanoid"? My character wields a +2 greatsword with the Bane:Humanoid quality, the DM had told me the Giant didn't qualify, but to me, anything with 2 legs that walks upright is Humanoid. Am I right or wrong? Sorry I even had to ask, if I had access to a Monster Manual I wouldn't have bothered but unfortunately I don't.
Magic Weapons :: d20srd.org

A bane weapon works only against a specific humanoid type. You may not want to mention this to your DM :p However giants are not humanoids anyway.

IronWolf

blank
Could you please tell me whether or not a Fire Giant qualifies as "Humanoid"? My character wields a +2 greatsword with the Bane:Humanoid quality, the DM had told me the Giant didn't qualify, but to me, anything with 2 legs that walks upright is Humanoid. Am I right or wrong? Sorry I even had to ask, if I had access to a Monster Manual I wouldn't have bothered but unfortunately I don't.

A Fire Giant is a Giant type. This chart should help for the bane weapon:

Magic Weapons :: d20srd.org

EDIT: Ninja'ed by anest1s!

Techmonster21

First Post
Lol @ ninja

Thanks for all the help guys. Luckily for me the DM is the one whom told me it's Bane vs. all humanoids (it's supposed to be a blade of some significance in the area where our campaign is set), and I'm not one to argue that.

Last edited:

Remove ads