• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kalamar - first published 4e setting?!?

hong

WotC's bitch
I think you missed my earlier reply: It is only reasonable to act as if said thing is indeed stupid if you actually want something from those people, like selling them a product.

Your critique of the foundations of a modern capitalist service economy is also intriguing, and I wish to extend my subscription to your blog.

If you want to sell a song of a given style to people who like that style, it would not be reasonable to consider it a stupid song just beacause some people consider it stupid. It's called "know your target audience".

This is where the

There are rules that produce good syllables, and there are rules that produce stupid syllables.​

bit comes in.

Is this clear now? We can go into ice cream and pizza examples, if needed, to avoid the political examples.

In MY day, generic food metaphors used ice cream and peanut butter, and we LIKED it.

Since you have issues with KoK names, I think you have issues with other "strange" names as well. I am willing to be convinced otherwise, but your insistance that some names are stupid just for not sounding right to you makes me doubt the success of this.

If enough ppl think your name sounds stupid, then it is stupid. Whether I personally think it's stupid has nothing to do with it. Of course, your name may not in fact sound stupid to enough ppl to qualify as such, but clearly such a question can only be answered by a poll.

Last edited:

Fenes

First Post
This is where the

There are rules that produce good syllables, and there are rules that produce stupid syllables.​

bit comes in.

This is where the "just because you say it often doesn't make it true" bit goes in.

Please, save energy, time and the planet, and copy/paste my bit right after your bit next time you repeat it, thanks!

redcard

First Post
So, in short, the worst thing it seems people can find about Kalamar is that it's names are weird?

Sounds like a damn good setting then.

hong

WotC's bitch
This is where the "just because you say it often doesn't make it true" bit goes in.

To be precise, by choosing rules that make for good syllables, you can reduce the number of people who think the syllables are stupid to below the threshold at which they become stupid. This is because the underlying attraction of the Kalamar naming scheme, as far as can be told by those who have posted here, is that it follows a consistent underlying set of rules. The outcome of those rules is another thing entirely, and hence there can be good rules (those which produce results that are not stupid sounding) and not-so-good rules (those which produce results that are stupid sounding).

Is this clear?

Please, save energy, time and the planet, and copy/paste my bit right after your bit next time you repeat it, thanks!

If you insist.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
To be precise, by choosing rules that make for good syllables, you can reduce the number of people who think the syllables are stupid to below the threshold at which they become stupid. This is because the underlying attraction of the Kalamar naming scheme, as far as can be told by those who have posted here, is that it follows a consistent underlying set of rules. The outcome of those rules is another thing entirely, and hence there can be good rules (those which produce results that are not stupid sounding) and not-so-good rules (those which produce results that are stupid sounding).

Somebody is thinking too hard about fantasy.

Fenes

First Post

Is this clear?

Not everyone thinks the names are stupid. That is due to different languages, different expectations, more tolerance for foreign cultures, and less ego. And no matter how often you say it: Something isn't become stupid just because you say so.

Remove ads