(kalamar question) Reanaarian coins

Wicht

Hero
I'm setting up for my next campaign which I plan on doing in Tellene on the Reanaarian bay. I'm trying to do some homework first so I can have some internal consistancy in my game and have been stumped on trying to find out if each Reanaarian city makes their own coin or if there is some sort of standard.

Or has nothing ever been published about this?

If anyone can point me to a module, book or even a website that mentions this I would appreciate it.

Otherwise I will have to make it up, which is fine (but more paperwork for me)

Thanks.

Scarogoth

What do other people have?
Reanaarian coins

By choosing Reanaarian Bay you may have unwittingly confused the issue. Barter of goods for goods is certainly not uncommon in parts of the country, though in Geanavue in particular, it has been declining in popularity. I'll quote some text from Geanavue for you:

"The use of "oebelaar" or promissory notes (written documents marked with both the debtoe's and creditor's seals, sigils or marks, and witnessed by a Castle official) is slowly growing, though only for large amounts. Most daily transactions are exchanges of goods for coins.

Although many foreign coins circulate at face value in Geanavue and Loona, all sales of land or buildings within the city walls must be made in gems or locally minted coins. Those who lack such currency must go to the Castle or a moneychanger... [snip]

More recently, the Castle mint (a smithy deep in the Castle cellars) has struck circular gold, silver and copper coins that do not change regardless of changes in the lordship of the city. They are by far the most familiar and favoured currency in Geanavue.

All of them display the words "1 [name of coin]" on one face, and the arms of Geanavue (wings-spread-eagle-clutching-a-ruby) on the reverse. A gold coin is known as a "goldglint" in Geanavue. ("glint" in daily usage or "naelain" in Reanaarese), a silver coin is a "rosaara", and a copper piece is known as a "small". The exchange rate is the usual 1 glint equals 10 rosaara or 100 smalls."

I would not think it inappropriate for coins to make it elsewhere in the Reanaarian Bay area, particularly if it saves you some work!! You won't be surprised to hear that all the above comes from Ed Greenwood's Geanavue: The Stones of Peace, which I thoroughly recommend to you.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Thanks, I guess that answers my question and gave me a place to look for verification. Each city/state mints their own coins.

Remove ads