Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Actually those MtG art books are an excellent resource for a campaign. I have the Zendikar and Dominaria art books and they come with a lot of information on the world, basically all the lore you'd need to run a game there meaning DMs just have to come up with potential mechanics, some of which already exists in the planeshift documents.

Yaarel

He Mage
Shadowrun is our real world with fantasy and cyberpunk, and lots of creatures and races. Kamigawa is only a "country", and the number of humanoid lineages is lower.

* Kamigawa: Neon Dinasty sounds like a perfect setting for fanfiction crossovers with manganime characters, but it is a (urban fantasy+)cyberpunk setting with high-tech too advanced to can be used with the D&D 5th Ed. Of cours we can recycle the "crunch" from d20 Future and Starfinder SRDs but we haven't enough experience to find the right power balance for the encounters where enemies can use firearms or high-tech gadgets. In some games the PCs are civilians, and some weapons and armors are only for military. In others PCs are allowed to use heavy weapons, and the encounters have to be redesigned. If there is a future D&D sourcebook about a M:tG plane, you shouldn't bet for Kamigawa: Neon Dinasty.
It is easy to use the 5e formats for spells and magic items to represent supertech.

Neon works fine with 5e mechanics.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It is easy to use the 5e formats for spells and magic items to represent supertech.

Neon works fine with 5e mechanics.
You could probably use something like the Apparatus of Kwalish and the rules for ships in ghosts of saltmarsh (I think that's where they are) as a base for mecha and then come up with some additional rules for them so that players can create their own. the ship rules I'd say could easily be used for any kind of vehicle.

Weiley31

Legend
I never got all that excited about the original Kamigawa set, but this one I'm hoping gets made into a setting book.
I would absolutely love and wouldn't mind another MtG/DND crossover book being Neon Kamigawa, but worse case scenario you can kinda already do that with the following, in a worst case scenario if it doesn't happen:

Mists of Akuma and then use the race options that appear in all the online MtG Planeshift Articles with some tweaks if need be. Pretty much the closet thing so far with refluffing the Steampunk into magi-tek. (Or borrow some stuff like the mecha and what not from Carbon 2185 in that kit bashing). Samurai/Artificer/Ninja(Rogue), Druid is pretty much covered via normal 5E. Naga's can swap out one of their racial traits for the UA Thri-Keen's Secondary Arms racial feature to cover Neon Kamigawa's four armed snake race. Ogre is just Orc with the name refluffed.

I'm not exactly sure what could be used to substitute for the Moonfolk. Unless they count as refluffed Elves. Kitsunes could be refluffed Half-Elves or you just use Mists of Akuma's Fox Hengeyokai.

Maybe there is a door or loophole to allow Kamigawa in D&D. A dark domain where most of high-tech can work, but not the firearms (it is the curse against the dark lord, because this wanted to use them in a disohonorable fight). Of course you could find ray guns, but they are very expensive because these need magic.

I suppose all the new planes of M:tG are being designed for potential crossovers with D&D.

Weiley31

Legend
I'm not exactly sure what could be used to substitute for the Moonfolk.
Okay update: Moonfolk would be refluffed Assimar. Since Assimar can do Radiant Damage, you can refluff that as Moonlight or something and still have the same thing since I've seen Moonlight as refluffed Radiant Damage.

Likewise, you could also do them as refluffed Haregon with one of their racial traits swapped out for one of the Assimars since the Rabbit/Moon/Lady Kaguya are associated with each other in Japanese folklore.

Also:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Okay update: Moonfolk would be refluffed Assimar. Since Assimar can do Radiant Damage, you can refluff that as Moonlight or something and still have the same thing since I've seen Moonlight as refluffed Radiant Damage.

Likewise, you could also do them as refluffed Haregon with one of their racial traits swapped out for one of the Assimars since the Rabbit/Moon/Lady Kaguya are associated with each other in Japanese folklore.

Also:
Reading the blurb about them, they sound like some sort of air genasi (not that surprising with their association with blue magic). They can fly and live in the clouds. Maybe harengon mixed with air genasi would be a good mix for them. I'd maybe just give them a straight up flight speed.

Remove ads