• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep on the Shadowfell preview

jaldaen

First Post
Rechan said:
I wonder if this works for area attacks. And if so, would a secondary effect (like being knocked prone) effect the pally, no the original target?

The power would probably use the key word "area attack."

Before answering the second question I would say that once the Paladin uses this power he becomes the "primary target."

The Paladin would be the target of the secondary attack if it effects the primary target.

If the secondary attack effects a secondary target, then the secondary effects key off of the Paladin being the primary target (for purposes of determining who can be effected, such as adjacent targets, allies within 5 squares, etc).

LFK

First Post
Stacking: the DDXP stuff had a brief note about stacking: Temp HP and ongoing damage of a same type (all temp HP are the same type) do not stack, the highest value overwrites.

Confirm on the "not AoE attacks" since that's the entire point of the :ranged: :close: :melee: :area: symbols.

Martyr's Blessing Paladin Utility 2
You step into an attack made against an adjacent ally
Daily Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a :melee: or a :ranged: attack
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead

samursus

Explorer
The entry in the PrRC states

"Temporary HP, such as those gained by the Paladin's bolstering
strike, can exceed a character's maximum Hit Points. However,
you can only have 1 pool of temporary HP at a time. If you have
3 temporary HP, and then use an ability to get 5 temporary HP,
you have 5 extra, not 8. They do not stack. [Unless otherwise
stated, temporary HP last until the end of the encounter"

Not sure where they got the info, but its not ?? like the other speculative stuff.

Rechan

Adventurer
Sojorn said:
I would assume it makes the paladin the new target of the attack and he takes all the effects instead. Including being slid around, knocked prone, slowed, stunned, thrown, set on fire, drowned, partially turned to stone, melted, kicked in the jimmies, or otherwise negatively affected.
However, I COULD see a paladin power that let him take an area effect for another person. The ol' "Dive onto a grenade" type thing, except you're diving in front of the person to take the blast.

I'm not sure I like that.
Think of it like being on fire. Once you're on fire, someone sticking a torch to you isn't going to catch you on fire AGAIN.

MindWanderer

First Post
Rechan said:
However, I COULD see a paladin power that let him take an area effect for another person. The ol' "Dive onto a grenade" type thing, except you're diving in front of the person to take the blast.
The Justiciar's "Strike Me Instead" does almost exactly that: the attack automatically hits you, but misses all of your allies that would have been struck.

Last edited:

Knight_Errant

First Post
Rechan said:
Outside of a situation where there's like four opponents or more around the paladin, I don't see Valiant Strike being all that useful.

How often are there enough enemies adjacent to one character to make the ability really worth it?

Based on what we've seen thusfar in preview materials, several classes have the ability to push enemies around the battlefield. Between the Rogue and Warlock, I think the other party members could set up the Paladin nicely.

Besides, +1 to every enemy is significant.

Remove ads