• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep on the Shadowfells Questions!

hennebeck

First Post
Temp hit points do not break minions.

In our KOTS run, I gave the minions the temp HPs from the Wyrmpriest.
That gave them a total of 6hp. In no way game breaking. I believe everyone except the cleric does minimum 6 damage on most of their attacks.
The way I see it, if someone's granting temp hit points, it protects them from the extra cleave damage, or maybe splash damage from Acid Arrow. That's about it.
It makes them a bit tougher, but they can still be slain with 1 attack.

Yes, it's more work for the DM, but really, not really. I didn't even count them. I just decided if they got the second part of the cleave (+3), then they didn't die. If they were the target, they died.
Simple like that.

Griogre

First Post
ryryguy said:
Here's one... for the terror runes in the crypt, no saving throw is mentioned. Is the effecct supposed to last until the victim reaches area 7?

I was thinking it might have the standard save at the end of your turn to get rid of it... but what if it happens outside of combat?

Also, IIRC it says the victim takes an "immediate action" to run towards area 7... so this would happen even if it's not the vicitm's turn?
I think you go into "combat" when they trigger a rune and after all immediate actions have finished. The odds are ok someone failing one may fail a couple and end up in combat anyway.

I think they then get a save every round, as normal, at the end of round phase to get rid of the effect.

The "run" is triggered as an immediate move so the character moves and likely triggers another rune and he may fail that one too. If he does he keeps running for the next and may trigger it too. I see that area is like a greased slide right into the stairs to area seven.

ryryguy

First Post
Griogre said:
The "run" is triggered as an immediate move so the character moves and likely triggers another rune and he may fail that one too. If he does he keeps running for the next and may trigger it too. I see that area is like a greased slide right into the stairs to area seven.

I was imagining that too... although, that seems strange, that potentially someone could chain enough immediate actions together in this way that he moves four or more times in a single round, twice as fast as he could normally move! It doesn't seem quite right, although probably not a big deal.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
ryryguy said:
I was imagining that too... although, that seems strange, that potentially someone could chain enough immediate actions together in this way that he moves four or more times in a single round, twice as fast as he could normally move! It doesn't seem quite right, although probably not a big deal.
Yeah, but the runner is REALLY scared, so it's ok! :D

chengarino

First Post
Which Exception Wins

[fighter's reaping strke] which does damage even when he misses

OR

[minion] a missed attack never damages a minion.

Especially since [minions] maybe limited to 1 hp, but they can have as many 'temporary' hp as they can get?

thx,

Griogre

First Post
The minion ability. Bascially the minon normally goes down on any direct hit. Misses simply don't do damage to them - they are immune. It's like the fighter's miss does fire damage to something immune to fire.

Bear in mind that player's don't have to know they are fighting a minion, to them the miss might appear to do damage but it simply is not enough to drop the creature.

WotC has said minions get temp hp. However most of the pre gen character's min damage is high enough they will still kill the minons in one blow despite the temp hps if they don't roll minimum damage.

npiccini

Explorer
maybe the phb will fill some of this in, but the pre-gen warlord from WotC doesn't have any abilities that grant healing surges. Am I misreading this?

Bongo

First Post
npiccini said:
1. Do you really not need a cleric in your party? We chose not to have one and healing seemed very difficult. You can only use a second wind once per encounter unless granted by a special ability correct? what is the difference between a healing surge and a second wind? This seemed extremely challenging to stay on your feet
It's not that you don't need healer, but you can replace the cleric with another type of healer (like a warlord) and still function. In previous editions, no other healer was a passable substitute for a cleric.

Remove ads