Keep your filthy points of light away from me!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Who else doesn't like that 4e forces the Points of Light campaign philosophy down our throats?

It may be nice for some campaigns, but I can't be the only one who thinks that it's not the only way you can set up a world.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I'm not exactly a big ol' 4E cheerleader, but this does seem a little bit of an overreaction to what is basically hot air from marketing.

-The Gneech :cool:

Wolfspider

Explorer
Zurai said:
Errr... pray tell, how are they doing that?

Well, for one, by making very radical changes to the Forgotten Realms so that it more closely fits that model. For many FR fans, that's pretty gag-inducing.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
I have to say, as long as WotC is planning on making Fourth Edition Eberron-compatible, they won't be hardcoding "points of light" into the rules design. (I have no idea how they'd do this in the first place, but that's another matter.)

The only sense in which I can see the setting assumptions being written into the system is with magic items. 3.x assumed that people could sink money into purchasing magic items with relative ease. You didn't have to play that way, but in my experience, going against that pattern caused some odd things to happen. Of the many changes they're making, the changes to magic items strike me as being the point on which they have been the most silent. (Obviously my own curiosity should be factored into that bias.)

Haven

Rechan

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
Well, for one, by making very radical changes to the Forgotten Realms so that it more closely fits that model. For many FR fans, that's pretty gag-inducing.
I'm impressed FR fans even have a gag reflex by now. :eek:

I kid, I kid. Just that it seems like FR's signature is someone hitting the 'undo' button a lot.

BlackMoria

First Post
I'm with Kae'Yoss on this. It is being rammed down the throat of most Realms fans.

Let's use the analogy of making your home renovations.

Changes to the Eberron home - let's put this nice shelving unit over there. Done.

Changes to the Forgotten Realms home - let's toss out the furniture. While we at it, lets tear out the walls, wiring and plumbing. In fact, lets take it down to the framing studs and start over.

The latter is only desirable if you want a complete makeover. However, it is not desirable if you just wanted a new hot tub and to put in some new track lighting.

Change in the Realms is a given... and expected. Hot Tub, track lighting please.

The contractor is coming in and tearing out my walls and telling me that I will be happy with results. All I wanted was the frikkin' hot tub and track lighting...

Remove ads