• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kensai & Power Surge

Rashak Mani

First Post
There have been almost no threads about the Kensai (Complete Warrior) to my surprise...

I'm curious to know of people's experiences playing Kensai PCs. How did they fare ? Was the Power Surge a good ability ? How is it best to use Power Surge ? How to maximize its use ?

Any roleplaying tips ? Especially for the Power Surge.

Also what would you consider the best weapon enhancements for the signature weapon ? Keen ? +d6 energy damage ? Something Bane ? Or increase the weapon from + 1 to +2 ?

Brain

First Post
I played a paladin/kensai in a fairly short-lived campaign. I found power surge to be pretty cool. I liked using it against things with damage reduction, giving up my full attack to instead get one more powerful attack (I only had 2 attacks at that point).

For me, roleplaying a kensai was all about discipline. It trickled into every aspect of the character, and a few little touches make a big difference. The manifestation of power surge was adopting a powerful fighting stance and concentrating, focusing inward. Very different from a raging barbarian for example.

I concentrated on straight up +1, +2 enhancement to help offset the kensai BAB, although I went with blessed on my Falchion because it was fitting for a paladin style kensai and also powerful when fighting evil.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Quick Question... 2 of my fellow players understood the Kensai signature weapon rules in a different way than I. Basically they think the Kensai class level limits how much enhancement my signature weapon can have.

So 1st lvl Kensai = +1 weapon
3rd lvl Kensai = +3 max weapon.

So that when I gain my first level of Kensai that if my weapon already is +1 that I can't add any ability. I certainly don't read that into the class description. Seems silly especially since if someone picked the PrC much later he most certainly would have magical weapons.

Rules opinions ?

Dimwhit

Explorer
I initially thought along the lines of your fellow players; however, on re-reading it, I think you're right. Particularly this part:

The signature weapon then becomes a magic weapon (if it wasn't already) and gains an enhancement bonus and/or special abilities.

In addition, in the Signature Weapons table, the middle column reads 'Weapon Bonus' not 'Max Weapon Bonus,' which is what I would expect if that were the case.

On the other hand, if you already have a +2 weapon, then by 8th level, you can no longer imbue the signature weapon with additional abilities. But maybe that's ok. Obviously, if at 1st level you took the weapon from +2 to +3, you would pay more than the 40 EXP listed for the +1.

To be honest, though, I'm just not sure. Reading through, I can see it going both ways. Did your DM make a ruling on it? I haven't checked the FAQ, but has an answer been published there? Maybe someone else can give a clearer reading, but barring such, I think I would allow what you propose. Maybe. (Man, I'm wishy-washy on this one.)

shilsen

Adventurer
I agree with your players. If the 3rd lvl Kensai already has a weapon with the equivalent of +3 enhancement, he's out of luck.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I checked the FAQ... nothing specific...

The key phrase of the signature weapon description is:

"His current class level limits the amount of enhancement a kensai can place into his signature weapon."

It doesn't say the limit he can have.. but place. I understood that as the maximum bonus the Kensai can place. (which is repetitive... )

It could mean that the +Number part can never be more than the class level ? So a 3rd level Kensai with a normal +3 sword could only add special abilities ? Keen, flaming... but not make it a +4 weapon ? Kind of makes sense since the pure +1 to +5 abilities are very good.

Under the signature weapon table it even mentions that the XP cost assumes the weapon doesn't have an enhancement bonus. If it does the cost is adjusted and so forth by paying the difference in XP cost.

I certainly feel there isn't much in the text to suggest the idea that the weapon has to be plain.

Remove ads