Kick Ass 2 Spoilers

Crothian

First Post
I enjoyed the first Kick Ass movie and since I had the day off I went to see the second one. It did a good job of building off the first one. I like that the evil kid tried to go super villain and failed in so many ways but was still able to buy himself what he needed. Hit Girl I think had some great scenes trying to fit into High School though she didn't seem as psycho in this one. I know the first movie is not seen as a hit as it didn't even do $50 million in the US but I think for the people who did like it the second one will be enjoyed by them as well.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I saw it, albeit for $6.50, and I think that was a fair price for it.

I liked the framing of the movie as coming to terms with your existence. That said, I think there were some missteps that brought that down. Movie and comic (Kick-Ass 2, Hit Girl) spoilers follow.

[sblock]The big change I disliked was making Chris so wavering in his evil. I really don't think the movie went far enough in showing him as evil, and even played the two really evil things he does for laughs. The lampshade about not killing the dog was amusing. However, it's his callous disregard for not just the Colonel, but the dog and the mutilation that really paints him as crazy. Similarly, Katie/NB's gang rape scene (and I'm okay with writing Katie out) was played for laughs with an ED joke. Yet in the comic, here's Chris perfectly willing to commit major atrocities on a person beyond simply killing them. At this point in the comic, he's clearly not just crazy, but evil. In the end, I think it weakened the idea the movie was trying to set up about learning who you are. Especially when you consider that the counterpoint is (in the movie, at least) Dave and Night Bitch hooking up over doing good and Mindy kissing Dave. I know they didn't want to be overly shocking, but in playing it safe I think it took away from the overall point.

The other big change I wasn't thrilled about was leaving off most of Mindy's end of the deal with Dave. You've got Dave, who is relatively normal and wants to be a superhero, so Mindy trains him. They should have kept the bit from the comics where Mindy is a superhero and wants to be normal, so Dave trains her. That's why they form a good team. Additionally, I'm not sure why they didn't keep the original ending of Hit Girl where her family gets attacked. Again, it's a nice harmony to the parts already there - Dave losing his dad, NB getting attacked, and so forth. If they're going to actually show the consequences of being a superhero, you can't make Hit Girl out to be Superman.

Finally, the ending. Again, this is something where I'm not sure why exactly they didn't keep closer to the book. I somewhat get not being able to do a big set piece in Times Square. Also, the CGI here was not great, so I wouldn't expect them to try. Still, I'm not sure why they decided to wrap everything up when in the comic basically everyone but Dave and Marty get arrested for the violent fight. It's a nice parallel to the common comic concept that normal people are distrustful and afraid of superheroes and supervillains, but for actual real reasons.[/sblock]

Crothian

First Post
I never read the comics but I think Chris not being an effective super villain was great. It was a better movie having those scenes being played up for laughs.

I also really liked that we got two actors known for the outrageous comic portrayals playing some serious and well done characters.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The movie was ok. There's my damning praise.

I just want to know: did Lindy Booth find a fountain of youth or something? It's like she gets younger every time.

Remove ads