Kickstarter: Mimic's Grids. Good idea?

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Note: I'm NOT shilling for the product and am looking for thoughtful input.

Stumbled across this kickstarter, Mimic's Grids, that has me scratching my head and going: Why haven't we done this before? But, I'm not sure about them. Would somebody else take a gander and tell me what they think of them? They look a tad expensive, but they should be pretty durable. What I'm really liking is the ability to draw on them with any kind of pen (dry erase, wet erase, even permanent).

Is there some other grid out there that does this same sort of stuff?

Cherno

Explorer
This has been done before, the KS is just a combination of different ideas. I utilized magnets for most of my paper terrain & model projects, such as the "Fute Noir" one:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=46259.msg537935#msg537935

rimg3572gtkqh.jpg

Great things can be done with the use of inexpensive Neodynium magnets, the possibilities are almost endless.

Staffan

Legend
Is there some other grid out there that does this same sort of stuff?
Well, it doesn't have the magnetics, but I've been pretty happy with the modular chipboard grid tiles from Role 4 Initiative. They only charge $32 for a set of 9 10" x 10" tiles (or 36 5" tiles, or 5 10" + 16 5"), which is like a quarter of what the Mimic's grid costs.

And yeah, having the artist map add-ons seems cool, but IME pre-made maps become more of a gimmick that you can only use once (unless it's of a really generic place, like a tavern).

I

Immortal Sun

Sure, it's been done before, but not all games require tactical grids (as opposed to say, most games needing dice) and they don't have the same player appeal as minis, the end result is that these companies usually produce a good product for a limited amount of time, and then go out of business.

I've still got my plastic puzzle-piece-like dry-erase boards. They're a little roughed up, but still work pretty well.

But I've got 12 of them, and I dropped $50 on them. Paying $200 for the same number of tiles and some extras is a little rich. I mean presumably if the Kickstarter funds they'll have a store or something, but that's a gamble, and then it's a further gamble if they'll even still be making product in 6 months or a year.

zachshallbetter

First Post
Owner, Co-Founder, Inventor, etc. here.

Your opinions are completely valid. Instead of countering them, I'd prefer to answer anything you'd like to ask.

We're transparent, so feel free to ask anything.

Last edited:

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. I wasn't expecting to hear from you so I don't have anything much at the moment. Except maybe: What is the planned future for these? In other words, if I get them, are you planning on expanding the ... er... expansions?

Owner, Co-Founder, Inventor, etc. here.

Your opinions are completely valid. Instead of countering them, I'd prefer to answer anything you'd like to ask.

Thank you Zach for stopping by. The question, and sorry if I overlooked this on the KS page, but how many maps from the designers do we get? For example, if I choose the $200 KS, it states; "4 artist set (you choose)" - does this mean I get all the maps from those artists or 4 maps and I choose from which artist they come from?

Thank you for your time. It is appreciated. And we are glad to have you in the community.

zachshallbetter

First Post
Apologies, on the delay. I somehow missed the notification.

It states; "4 artist set (you choose)" - does this mean I get all the maps from those artists or 4 maps and I choose from which artist they come from?

With those 4 Artist sets you can choose any variety that you would like (duplicates, one of each, etc.).

What is the planned future for these? In other words, if I get them, are you planning on expanding the ... er... expansions?

Tons and tons and tons. For this product, we're in the process of purchasing the equipment needed to produce 2D magnetic elements and their packaging on-demand. This, along with our relationships with artists, should enable an incredible amount of products and versatility both physical and digital.

Beyond that, we have 3D pieces, other products with the Any-Erase surface.

The sky is kinda the limit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases