Kickstarter moving to blockchain

darjr

I crit!
I guess that nothing will seem to change on the surface. I gotta admit I really don’t understand how you move a web site to work on top of blockchain.

I’m missing something.

What does this mean for rpg Kickstarters? If this is a big snafu for them and the KS ship sinks, is it easy or hard to move to another crowd funding platform?

Not sure if this even belongs though.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Of, for love of fleep! Kickstarter doesn't need fleeping blockchain!

For those unware of what it is, to quote IBM:
"Blockchain is a shared, immutable ledger that facilitates the process of recording transactions and tracking assets in a business network. An asset can be tangible (a house, car, cash, land) or intangible (intellectual property, patents, copyrights, branding). Virtually anything of value can be tracked and traded on a blockchain network, reducing risk and cutting costs for all involved."

Blockchain is an underlying technology to bitcoin systems - it supports the creation of an immutable ledger of transactions independent of the people who make the transactions. In bitcoin's case, it keeps the people who make the transactions anonymous.

Since bitcoin is (nigh inexplicably) a big thing, "blockchain" has become the new buzzword technology.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Of, for love of fleep! Kickstarter doesn't need fleeping blockchain!

For those unware of what it is, to quote IBM:
"Blockchain is a shared, immutable ledger that facilitates the process of recording transactions and tracking assets in a business network. An asset can be tangible (a house, car, cash, land) or intangible (intellectual property, patents, copyrights, branding). Virtually anything of value can be tracked and traded on a blockchain network, reducing risk and cutting costs for all involved."

Blockchain is an underlying technology to bitcoin systems - it supports the creation of an immutable ledger of transactions independent of the peole who make the transactions. In bitcoin's case, it keeps the people who make the transactions anonymous.

Since bitcoin is (nigh inexplicably) a big thing, "blockchain" has become the new buzzword technology.
I agree that Kickstarter does not need it but would be a good testing ground for a non currency blockchain system. Strikes me as a way to attract the kind of venture capital funding in a way that Kickstarter is not sexy enough to attract.

Remove ads