Kickstarter moving to blockchain

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Doesn't blockchain eat up significant electrical power? I know something related to cryptocurrency is a significant power drain, and that's the last thing we need when trying to reduce greenhouse gasses. Might get me to completely swear off kickstarting.
Not and expert here, but my understanding that is more of a function of scarcity in cryptocurrencies than a necessary property of blockchain.

Dausuul

Legend
Doesn't blockchain eat up significant electrical power? I know something related to cryptocurrency is a significant power drain, and that's the last thing we need when trying to reduce greenhouse gasses. Might get me to completely swear off kickstarting.
Some consume more than others. Bitcoin is notoriously horrendous. Kickstarter is using one that claims to be carbon neutral.

The world of blockchain technology is one of insane bombastic hype and hardly a shred of substance, and words mean everything and nothing, so who the hell knows what they mean by "carbon neutral." But it's probably not as bad as Bitcoin. Not much is.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
And here I thought this was regarding a new Kickstarter for a TTRPG about prison breaks. Sheesh.

john turturro pete hogwallop GIF

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Doesn't blockchain eat up significant electrical power?

My recollection is that the blockchain itself isn't the power sink. It is bitcoin mining (the way new bitcoin come into being to be traded) calls for doing HUGE amounts of cryptographic calculations. Like, truly stunning amounts of number crunching - people stealing the electricity to do this is starting to cause major power grid issues in China. And, for each bitcoin "mined", the next one becomes harder. Bitcoin will eventually become unsustainable economically and ecologically for the computation required.

You don't need to do bitcoin mining if you are just using blockchain as a ledger.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases