Kickstarter pre-launch followers and final totals

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is something that's occurred to me recently. I haven't tracked this at all, so I have very little data to go on. But I'm wondering what the typical correlation is between pre-launch followers on Kickstarter and the final number of backers.

Here's all the (very limited) numbers I know. Like I said, I haven't been tracking this at all. There may not even be a correlation as there are so many other factors.

Kickstarter pre-launch followers don't all back a Kickstarter (common wisdom is 20-30% do), but obviously projects pick up more backers throughout the campaign.

ProjectPre-launch backersFinal backersPercentageFinal funding totalAverage pledge
AuroborousAbout 9K10,218113%$1,260,863$123
TanaresAbout 12KTBATBATBA (passed $1M on first day)
Mythological Figures & Maleficent MonstersAbout 2K2,444122%$174,152 (converted from GBP at today's rate)$71
My typical mini-quickstarterAbout 300About 700200%About $20K$28

Last edited:

Michael-Alves

Lead Game Designer - Dragori Games
Just to help with your data, right now we have 29% of conversion from followers to backers. (still on day one trough, so its not final %, it may be more or less as people may join or drop) (not saying name, as this is not to promote, just to inform you)

I believe a table like that would need to take into account the strategy of the KS.
If there was a giveaway, it tends to reduce the % of followers conversions, as it inflates the number of followers.
The amount of pre-campaign marketing also might play a huge role.

As a small addition, to help you correct one of your data , Auroboros had about 8.5k followers, not 6k i am almost sure of that. You can check it by using waybackmachine to look at the kickstarter page in a prior date. This is a strategy that can be used to do this research, but it is not a 100% chance of success as it depends on the timestamps of waybackmachine crawler bot.

Last edited:

Michael-Alves

Lead Game Designer - Dragori Games
auroboros.png

Just got this on Wayback Machine. I couldn't find it on a closer date to the release (April-20).

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
As another data point, I'm a little more than halfway through my current Kickstarter. I have had 471 followers, with 93 converted, for a 19% conversion rate. I'll update this once the Kickstarter ends.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just to help with your data, right now we have 29% of conversion from followers to backers.

I'd fine it interesting to find a less direct path - do initial followers act as marketing, yielding backers far in excess of their own numbers?

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
My Kickstarter just ended, with a total of 520 followers, 178 of whom converted, for a conversion rate of 34%. I'd be interested to see how many of the followers from the pre-launch campaign converted. I'm not sure if I can find out that information.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My Kickstarter just ended, with a total of 520 followers, 178 of whom converted, for a conversion rate of 34%. I'd be interested to see how many of the followers from the pre-launch campaign converted. I'm not sure if I can find out that information.
Do you recall how many pre-launch followers you had?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think a lot of it might have to do with how long you've been advertising before launch. For example, I just wrapped up Chromatic Dungeons, only advertised about 2 weeks prior to launch with 90ish followers, and ended up with 335. so that's gonna make good data analysis hard unless you know how long each has been advertising before the launch date.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases