Killjoy Cooking With the Dungeons & Dragons Crowd

1Mac

First Post
Wow, you guys turned a humorous article into a debate. Bravo.
And as KM pointed out, there a certain recursive irony to arguing around this particular article, given its topic.

@KM: I just didn't think your examples of sports and politics were very apt for the point you were trying to make. But one could dismiss the distinction as, well, arcane minutiae.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Does anyone have revised stats for this one?
mackerelly.jpg

Dungeoneer

First Post
Pro-tip: engaging in serious argument with parody cooking article makes you look like the very type of person Lore was skewering when he wrote it.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Pro-tip: engaging in serious argument with parody cooking article makes you look like the very type of person Lore was skewering when he wrote it.

Well, there is no reason or rationality when it comes to pet peeves.

I just find that writing an article essentially complaining about complaining also makes you look like the type of person you are "skewering."

Plus, you get to look all smug when someone contradicts your point and you say (or have someone else say) "See! I told you!"

Which would work into the irrational pet peeve aspect of this.

ANYWAY, NOT A BIG DEAL, DON'T LOOSE SLEEP OVER IT, OKAY?! ;)

jefgorbach

First Post
likely the same reason Starcraft/etc are live-play competitive televised sports in Korea while we're stuck with ho-hum basketball/etc here in the USA ... lack of innovative sponsors willing to overlook a large lucrative niche market of active players.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Y'know, I remember reading this article when it first came out and getting a chuckle here and there. But it's a bit biased--after all, we haven't heard from the fans that actually like The Better Joy Cookbook. My mind wandered to this piece during a boring meeting today, so let me share a few of those posts with you:

Posted: 12:14 a.m. by roflmaotoon I can't believe that some people still don't want to get the newest version of The Better Joy Cookbook. It has fewer recipes and they're far simpler to actually use. I don't want to spend hours planning my meal before I cook it. Sure, the online portion planner and nutrition value index they discussed at the time of publication is vaporware, but the shopping list generator is here and functional. That's worth paying a monthly subscription fee to access, and anyone who disagrees is an aging social reject that is probably bald and overweight.

Posted: 12:29 a.m. by otakuguy4444 Those tools that keep cooking their outdated version of macaroni and cheese and meatloaf are slowly killing our hobby. Don't they realize that Dishfinder is never going to have the name recognition and market presence of The Better Joy Cookbook? If our preferred version goes off the shelf from the major retail outlets, no one will cook any more AT ALL!!! It might not be your favorite cookbook, but if people don't start with this one, they'll never pick up a different cookbook--ever. Good luck trying to get your own favorite cookbook at the store when my favorite one is gone and our hobby is a faded memory.

Posted: 12:48 a.m. by Snarky_Avatar I can prove that the revised version of The Better Joy Cookbook is better than the previous version. You can go online and pay for access to an exclusive web service that provides you with the same content as their dead tree versions. Everyone knows that today's fans want reasons to pull out and show off their iPhones around the table instead of staring at a printed page like a sixteenth-century pilgrim.

Posted: 1:09 a.m. by p0wurg4mur1337 I saw the funniest thing at my local grocery store tonight. There was some guy there buying beef and wine... to make beef bourguignon. Who eats that any more? Classical French cooking hasn't been featured in a Hollywood action movie with explosions and CGI or in a direct-to-video anime release, so it's obviously a style of cooking that no one likes any more. Why can't people just make their decisions based on what is popular in mainstream entertainment instead of according to what they think tastes good? French cuisine just isn't relevant any more!

Posted: 1:13 a.m. by MonkeyPants These people with their "old school" cookbooks and open source products are killing the book that I love. Cooking is a niche hobby, and we have to compete with restaurants, caterers, delis, and everyone else that wants to cook for us. They're bleeding off the market because they won't do what The Better Joy Cookbook wants them too. Thanks for killing my hobby, jerks.

Posted: 1:18 a.m. by otakuguy4444 One of my friends sold their copy of The Better Joy Cookbook at the used bookstore and picked up a copy of Dishfinder. At first, I was freaked because I thought he might be leaving the hobby--but then I realized that he must just be using the online content to cook his meals. Yeah, that must be it. Book sales are declining because people hate using archaic printed books, not because The Better Joy Cookbook doesn't suit their cooking style. Because I lack any verifiable sales figures and possess the ability to rationalize anything, I will declare that The Better Joy Cookbook is obviously the greatest version ever and is, without a doubt, dominating the market. Because of the internet, declining sales actually means that it's doing better, not worse!

Last edited:

Remove ads