Kingmaker 5E Conversion notes

Kingmaker 5E Conversion notes 1.1

No permission to download

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
toucanbuzz submitted a new resource:

Kingmaker 5E Conversion notes - Updating one of the best adventure paths ever to 5E

Wow, where to begin. I'm putting my notes in installments. Kingmaker, if fixed up a bit, is just plain awesome. There's a kingdom on the brink of civil war that sponsors a group of adventurers to reclaim "stolen lands" and form a kingdom/barony, and the most active forum in the gaming world to make this more awesome.

As with any conversion, it's not all about stats. Run as-is, Kingmaker is above average, nothing more. Run as it should be, with political intrigue, fey politics, a wealth of...

Read more about this resource...

Weiley31

Legend
Did the Kingmaker AP Anniversary book get released yet? I know the Bestiary for that has the 5E conversion stats for the Pathfinder version of the AP

I have no idea if this post is related to that or not so that's why I was asking when I saw this title.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Did the Kingmaker AP Anniversary book get released yet? I know the Bestiary for that has the 5E conversion stats for the Pathfinder version of the AP

I have no idea if this post is related to that or not so that's why I was asking when I saw this title.
That product has been delayed for a long time (around 2 years since I last checked), and only the monsters were slated for conversion. Rather than wait, just got started on my own. I ran this 10 years ago under 3.5/Pathfinder rules pretty much as-is, taking a much different more enjoyable path, slowing down the rate of advancement (roughly 1 character level every 2 months of real time) so we can role play a ton more as running a kingdom should open doors for it moreso than most other modules.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
That product has been delayed for a long time (around 2 years since I last checked), and only the monsters were slated for conversion. Rather than wait, just got started on my own. I ran this 10 years ago under 3.5/Pathfinder rules pretty much as-is, taking a much different more enjoyable path, slowing down the rate of advancement (roughly 1 character level every 2 months of real time) so we can role play a ton more as running a kingdom and all the side paths that can take should open doors for it moreso than most other modules.
I don't blame ya: I've been waiting for it since it got announced and its nuts that it's still not out yet.

TheSword

Legend
I’ve converted and ran the first two books of Kingmaker, adapting quite a few pieces from the computer games and adding a bit of my own.

What I will say is the campaign suffers from the 5 minute adventuring day. Most of the encounters are trivial difficulty if played at the level expected. Only the adventuring locations become a challenge.

I’m not sure what the solution to that is, other than to play in a low points buy, no feats and be stingy with magic items. Or possibly boost every encounters CR by 2-3 points. I opted for the latter and we ran up to level 9.

Ran this when it came out and the PCs lost at about 14th level.

And 6 sessions into running it again. It is absolutely in my zone of interest for adventure.

Well done on your good conversion work

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
toucanbuzz updated Kingmaker 5E Conversion notes with a new update entry:

Rivers Run Red, Book #2

Wow, this one occupied us for over 6 months, easy, and about 10% of it was from the module as written. Several roleplay days with not one die rolled, and everyone lived it. So where's where I went.

Leveling up, Milestones. I needed the PCs to get levels 5-7 here. But, there'd be days where we just roleplayed. I really wanted to slow it down, have some fun, and it was. So, each level was a major threat resolved + 3 side quests. The major ones were Hargulka, Candlemere, and Carnival of...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Remove ads