Kingmaker Solo Campaign

Satin Knights

First Post
"Deal. My words are that I would like to live peaceably and profitably in the land to the north. I think there is enough room for us all to do that. What information I have gathered so far says Boraga feels quite different. Papers and words don't make trust. Action and time will. So, I am pleased we have started a good foundation. The trust should be built over time. For now, you have more information that you did an hour ago."

"Such sweet words, Squire. You, you, you're going to make my eye tear up." Uder says with blatant sarcasm. Chucking, "Don't cha worry mate, he is actually naive enough to believe that stuff. As long as he pays the bills, I will keep him alive so he can build his pretty places."

"Hurry up already! While you guys are jibber jabbering, the sun is already starting to go down. I got exploration and surveying and planning and so much to do. Can't do that in the dark. Well, not more than a few feet at a time. I have gone through all the books, all finished weeks ago. Such a slow ship. I gotta get started."

Kellermyre just rolls his eyes and sighs. The respect or control of his subordinates is something that he obviously hasn't mastered yet.

Kellermyre_Stormforge_headshot.png
uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

Kellermyre Stormforge Uder Gormengeist * Shari de Leye

Systole

First Post
The inhabitants of the Forenicci settlement bid you farewell, and you make it back to the ship without incident, richer by a fairly thick file on the Boragas. Shari immediately sets to reading it and in the evening she presents a summary. "House Boraga is headed by Grand Dame Ludmilla Boraga. The House has always been known for its ruthless business dealings, but Ludmilla has taken it to a whole new level, and most of her six children are following in her footsteps. By the way, that's six children fathered by three husbands, all deceased. Well, supposedly fathered by. Brasi Boraga was born ten and a half months after his quote-unquote father died, so there's that. He did kill someone in a duel after the other guy questioned his paternity, though, so he's apparently a bit sensitive about the issue.

"Anyway, I was saying: six kids. From oldest to youngest: Tessio, Clemenza, Brasi, Tommasino, Abbandando, and Cicci. The youngest two are social butterflies and generally known to be kind of stupid and short-sighted, so neither of them is probably going to be running Boraga operations. And Tommasino is ... well, he's a black sheep and by all accounts the only decent one out of the lot, so it won't be him either. So that leaves Tessio, Clemenza, or Brasi who's in charge. Tessio is supposedly some sort of mage. Some say he's a sorcerer, but he sure as heck doesn't have good people skills like most sorcerers do. It's rumored that Clemenza does magic as well -- a dark sort of magic, going by various reports. But if so, she only does it behind closed doors. Last is Brasi, who is just a plain old brute. When he was thirteen, he beat a servant to death with his fists, except that Boraga money managed to have it ruled 'death by misadventure.' The official story was that he fell down a set of stairs, but it must have been a big set of stairs, because he needed a closed casket at his funeral."

"Seems unlikely it'd be Brasi if he's just a dumb thug," Peet says. "Dame Ludmilla is a sharp customer."

"I've long since stopped being surprised at who the noble houses see fit to put in charge, Red. They get ideas that their inbred son is some sort of military genius even though he dribbles down the front of his dinner jacket and it's even odds whether he gets his boots on the right feet on any particular morning," Uder says, filling his pipe. "And going for open warfare right away? Seems about right to me."

Peet seems unconvinced. "Or it could have been a smart move if they thought we'd be unprepared."

"Vermag made a note that he thought it would be Tessio," Shari says. "But they're keeping a low profile for now, whichever it is."

The captain comes down into the galley and gets your attention. "Excuse me, Mr. Stormforge. We're passing an isle with a colony of fisher's seals on it. We can keep going, or we can stop and do some hunting. The furs and the bone'll fetch a good price, and the fat can be rendered into a decent tallow. It'll be another day or so, and it might get dangerous if we run into one of the old bulls, but it'll give you a good stake."

Shari seemed appalled. "Hunt seals? What have they ever done to us?"

"Better question is, 'What have they ever done for us?'" Uder replies. "Everyone's gotta eat, love. Better them than us."

Peet shrugs. "I'm with Grumpy on this. Might as well get while the getting's good."

phineas_150.png
peet_150a.jpg
uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

. . Phineas Renlow . . . Wholesome Peet . . . . Uder Gormengeist . Shari de Leye

Satin Knights

First Post
"No. We were a few days ahead of schedule. We used up one of them stopping and giving our neighbors their warning. It will be better to get the ship in and unloaded before we are expected. There will be time later to come back to the island, after we have settled and built some defenses; and of course a temple. Best speed to our destination."

Kellermyre Stormforge

Systole

First Post
The captain nods and gives the order to continue at speed. The next few days pass quietly, and it's late in the evening when at last you arrive at the destination specified by the charter.

A ramshackle assortment of small buildings greets you from the shore, and a long but rickety pier extends out into the ocean. The captain shakes his head. "Not a particularly good location for a port, Mister Stormforge. See how open it is? There's no shelter from passing storms. And a pier that long says to me that the waters are probably pretty shallow and full of sandbars. And the current feels like arse, which means that the sandbars must shift around like a bunch of cats in a wet sack. The good news is that there's no rocks to wreck on, but there's plenty of places to ground a boat until a good spring tide takes you away." He scratches his beard. "If I were you, I'd set to looking for a better location, because speaking as a sailor, Forenicci's town is a better place to make port. You'll have the Gabbiano trade either way, but the independent ships'll go where it's easiest. On the other hand, if there's a gold mine hidden on the other side of those buildings ... well, money would go a long way toward bringing in business, no matter the state of your dock."

The captain leaves your side to direct the docking process. Despite the concerns he voiced, it goes smoothly, and the sailors are already tying off to the pier when a female dwarf comes marching down to meet you. She looks somewhat grim, but her expression changes completely when she sees Captain Renlow. "Phineas!?" she exclaims. "Did Franco send ... of course he did. And he didn't tell me. I'll kill him!"

The captain seems surprised at first and then overjoyed. "Varga?" he says, and then leaps from the deck to the pier before the gangplank is down and seizes the woman in a fierce hug. The two begin talking in Dwarven excitedly. Shari translates. "They're brother and sister. See the resemblance? They're talking about old times ... good to see each other after almost four years and such. Now Varga is asking about you and he's saying that you're a ..." she looks confused. "That doesn't make any sense."

Uder lights his pipe. "The captain called him a 'guglach vuk,'" he says. "A mineral vein of solid coprolite, also known as fossilized turds. Implies mostly that you're full of well-aged crap, squire. But also implies that there's an outside chance of something worthwhile buried in there." He puffs once or twice. "Pretty much the same report I'd deliver if anyone asked."

With a heavy thud, the gangplank is maneuvered into place, and you're able to walk onto the dock and into these lands you're expected to tame.

GM: And the story XP puts you into 2nd level. Congrats.

Now, the NPCs will generally advance themselves, but depending on your influence with them, they may be willing to entertain a bit of direction in the way they advance. You wouldn't require much influence with a particular NPC to get them to allocate a skill point or two where you want it, but getting them to take a particular feat when they have another in mind will be a bit harder.

outpost_2.jpg

phineas_150.png
Varga_150.jpg
uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

. . Phineas Renlow .. . . Varga Renlow . . . . . Uder Gormengeist . Shari de Leye

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
"Well Uder, we still got our heads and we still got our cargo. The hostile enemies we have are the same as when we boarded the ship, and the other folks we have encountered have seen that we don't intend to be a threat to them. So, I would say that was a good voyage." "For a storm priest, you sure see a lot of sunshine that ain't there." "Don't worry. The storms are coming. Being prepared for them is what I intend to be."

Looking out over the settlement, "Well, at least we are starting with roofs over our heads." Kellermyre walks down the gangplank and peers over the edge of the dock to see that indeed, this is should only be considered a temporary solution at best. He waives towards Shari and she comes down off of the ship as well. "Well, I think the captain is right. Location is key to success." "And success isn't here." "Did you see anything else along the coast line that would serve better?" "Well..." as she starts to ponder. "I suppose we will have to ask the experts from both sides of the water's edge."

Kellermyre, figuring he has given the siblings a few moments, and they will have plenty of time later to catch up, approaches the captain and his sister. Approaching the pair, "So, has he filled you in on the inadequacies of the greenhorn yet? Well, I, Kellermyre Stormforge, servant of Tanager, executor of Gabbiano's charter, am that greenhorn. It is my duty to tame this wilderness and build a grand port for trade." Kellermyre bows slightly to the dwarven sister.

"I agree with you expert advice Captain Phineas. This does not look to be the best bit of coast to sew those dreams upon. Would either of you have a better place in mind?"

uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

Systole

First Post
Varga looks you up and down with something like disapproval -- or perhaps resentment. "So, you're the church-boy that Fortino foisted off on us? Fine, but let's get a few things straight. I'm here for two things: to protect Signor Franco's investment, and to make sure none of these idiots I've got working for me gets killed. I'll follow your lead as long as you don't piss the boss's money away and you don't do anything that would endanger my people." Her hand tightens on the wicked-looking gaff-hook that she carries. "Losing money will just get you sent home. If you go riling up the locals or anything similarly stupid, it's going to go less well."

"Ooh, she's a fiery one. I like her," Uder says with a leer.

Varga glances at him and then back at you.
"Tell your pet monkey that if he speaks to me again, it's going to cost him his other eye. And if he doesn't get the point after that, I'm going to start charging him testicles." The threat seems to delight the mercenary more than scare him, but he decides to keep his mouth shut.

"As far as the location goes, I know it's not ideal. You have to understand, these lands are almost completely uncharted, and Boraga and Forenicci are both breathing down our necks. There's a river mouth not far away, which gives us a fresh water supply, so we called it good and set up camp here. I'd like to move to a better location, at the moment we don't even know if there is a better location. We'll have to start exploring and surveying the surrounding area first, but until you got here we didn't have the manpower or the expertise."

She pauses. "There's one of those frogmen -- grippli, I think they're called -- that was hanging around the camp a week back. He wouldn't talk to us or come near us, but he didn't seem hostile. He might know the lay of the land. We've also seen a few of the local tribesmen around. Bunch of feral elves, believe it or not, and they stink to high heaven. You could also go looking for one of them to help you explore, but they generally stick to the highlands."

Varga_150.jpg
uder_150.jpg

. . . Varga Renlow . . . . Uder Gormengeist .

Satin Knights

First Post
"Everybody seems to want to tell me how they are going to do things." The anger starting to swell in his voice, "Listen here. I was chosen to lead this expedition, by your boss Franco, by my boss Fortino, and " pointing to Phineas, " and by his, Gabbiano himself!"

Shari steps back to give the angry aasimar some room.

"Your brother scoffs at me and considers me a fool. Well, if it wasn't for my actions and decisions, he would have likely lost his cargo or his head by now, probably both. As it is, he knows the seas are more dangerous this season than last, and the only blood that stains docks is that of those that declared themselves as his enemies, and mine. Phineas did not choose to be in the fight, but he at least knows it is a fight now, and will not fall to an attack because he was surprised."

Seeing where this is going, Shari whispers a quick cantrip. With a bit of concentration, focused mostly at the one who's voice is raised, but not a shout yet, above Kellermyre's head and just behind him, a storm cloud forms. About three feet in diameter, it roils and churns as it grows in intensity and darkens.

"When one of your workers drops an axe on his foot, who is the one going to mend his wounds? I am.

When our enemies come, who is going to to lead the fight against them? I am.

Who is going to heal the injured after the battle? I am.

The storm cloud darkens and pulses with each statement.

When someone is wandering away from the moral path and needs a bit of guidance back, who is going to give them a bit of advice or lecture? I am."

"When it comes to making decisions around here, who is going to make them? ... I am."

Kellermyre pauses for a moment to let that statement ferment and imprint.

Then, softening his tone, "Now that that is clear to everyone, tell me what supplies we have on hand, and what manpower is available. First, we need to know what we have. Then we are going to scout for a better location. Once we find a place to build, it is quick shelters, a defensible fence line, a pier before the next ship arrives, and then permanent housing in that order. Phineas, how many days before the ship that was to follow us arrives?"

As his voice is calming, so is the cloud over his head. Shari is managing to stifle her giggles and keep a straight face.

"After those immediate needs, we focus on a smithy, a baker, mill, a butcher, carpenter, and the things we need to build a proper port town. Once food and tools are done, then we can build the brewery and tavern."

uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

Systole

First Post
The workmen stop what they're doing and gaze at the cloud in a bit of awe. However, the captain shakes his head, being familiar enough with real stormclouds to recognize a cantrip when he sees one. And Varga simply snorts. "So you’re the decider, are you? Well, sadly, it’s past five, so I’m off the clock, and therefore I can’t be bothered to listen to your decisions at the moment. I will begin work punctually at eight tomorrow morning, however. And if you want an inventory in the meantime, the crafting and building materials are in the workshop. The foodstuffs are in the back of the mess hall. Everything else is in the warehouse. Come on, Phin. Let’s go grab a drink and do some catching up.” She takes her brother by the elbow and begins walking toward a long, low building that would seem to be the mess hall.

“Divine reckoning mightn’t’ve been the best way to impress the lass,” Uder notes, looking appreciatively at Varga’s backside before turning to you. “You know, squire, yer gonna need someone to delegate to when yer out doing fieldwork. So it seems to me, yer gonna have to either talk her around or else send her home and find someone you trust and get along with, ‘cause in my experience, when the sergeant and the captain butt heads like that, things in the trenches go to hell right quick.” To illustrate his point, the workmen look confused, unsure whether to unload the boat, or whether to continue working on their assigned tasks, or whether to follow Varga’s example and knock off for the evening. It’s six-thirty or so, but clearly the men are used to working longer hours. You can also hear surprised conversations about starting work at eight tomorrow, rather than at dawn.

Shari clears her throat. “Um, I think the problem with Varga is that she feels like she was passed over. And, well, she kind of was, to be honest. She’s been Signor Franco’s right-hand man … er, woman ... er, dwarf ... She’s been Franco’s number two for the past six years, and she got that position because she earned it. If it wasn’t for the Cardinal getting to name the executor of the charter, Varga would’ve been the one, I’m mostly sure. Or maybe Finia, Lord Gabbiano's assistant, because she's been with him for at least eight. But you're a ...” she coughs and trails off.

“You're a nobody, is what the wee gel means to say," Uder finishes. "If you want the dwarf lass's respect, you're going to have to show you've earned it, not just yell 'Jump!' at her. But in the meantime, talking nice might smooth some ruffled feathers. And speaking personally, squire, I hope you get her around instead of sending her back home, because if ye send her on, I’ll only get to see her walk away just once more, when she goes up the gangplank. And to my way of thinking, that’d be a downright shame, ‘cause that lass has one of the finest pairs of hams I’ve ever seen. I could watch her walk away all day.”

Varga_150.jpg
uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

. . . Varga Renlow . . . Uder Gormengeist . . Shari de Leye

Satin Knights

First Post
"I know I shouldn't have got mad. But, I ain't got time to coddle people and beg them to do their jobs. I am a nobody. The nobody that was put in charge, by all those in Venza in control. She has to deal with the sting of that. And it is better to deal with it now, and she makes a decision before Phineas leaves, than to leave her trapped where she cannot control her destiny."

"I will not apologize for the truth. Peet, where are you? This goes for you too. Life out here will be dangerous and hard. We know we have enemies, and we know that they can come at any time, maybe even never. We can either work hard and build something worthy of gossip and envy in Venza, or we can slip away into obscurity waiting for death to find another unsatisfying morsel."

"If one of you wants to chase after her and unruffle her feathers, you can try. I figure it is going to take several hours for the sting of the situation to settle. For the others, we got a ship to unload."

With that, Kellermyre walks the dock and approaches the first worker that appears to be packing up early. "Varga, she's taking a bit of time off, because her brother came in on that ship. Well, her brother Phineas is the captain. So, they got some catching up to do as he won't be here long. But, the rest of us need to make sure he is ready to set sail tomorrow with the tides. So if about half of you could lend a hand unloading the ship, we should be able to get it done in short order. Is that the warehouse?"

Kellermyre Stormforge
[sblock=actions]Gather some men to start unloading the ship. Always grab a heavy crate/sack/barrel to carry.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The men begin getting back to work, but there's clearly some confusion and some muttering, and they're obviously not working as hard as they were.

Peet pokes her head out from around a nearby building. "Well, at the moment, this is safer for me than Landadel. And there's a lot of potential profit here. I mean, have you seen some of the stuff in the warehouse? Furs, some unbelievable mahogany and teak, chunks of rock that might be gold ore ... and a bunch of dried herbs I've never seen before, too. I can't wait to see what I can brew with those, boss. If that's two weeks' worth of half-assed trading, I'm sticking it out."

"Wait, there are samples? Plants, animals, rocks ... ? I need to go look at those. Where's my notebook? Excuse me!" Shari hurries off, your words already forgotten.

Uder puffs on his pipe. "I said I'd be here until it got bad, and it ain't bad yet, squire. As far as the dwarf lass goes, I'd prefer to keep me berries attached to the bush, as it were, so that won't be me talking to her. I suppose that means the duty'd fall to Red, if you ain't going to do it. Either way, I'd recommend someone try, 'cause if she goes, I think there's a bunch that would sail with her."

"Sure, I can do that. Convincing people is what I do. Usually it's about how much something is worth, or where I might or might not have been on the night of such-and-such. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to throw a little polish on this turrrr ... er, is there anything in particular you'd like me to say?"

peet_150a.jpg
uder_150.jpg
attachment.php

. Wholesome Peet . . . Uder Gormengeist . . Shari de Leye

Remove ads