• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kitchen Sink Settings

EditorBFG

Explorer
Usually, most people I've gamed with are open to anything that looks like it makes sense and is balanced. I don't run into a lot of Core Rulebook snobs anymore. And yeah, if someone i splaying something odd, it gets worked into the setting. I don't think much of a guy having a fantasy setting that is "set" before players sit at the table. If the players are going to devote time to game, they should have a certain level of input, even if that input is just a class/race preference that shapes the game.

Treebore

First Post
I'm not kitchen sink. I only allow what I "planned for" in my campaign. Now if you talk to me about it before I start the campaign and I can fit it in then I will most likely do it. If your joining an on going campaign you are very likely going to just have to live with things the way they are until I start a new one. You can still ask, because I can often "make things happen/occur" with some thought, but never, ever, expect to be able to play something or use a rule just because its in the WOTC books.

Its my game, not WOTC's, or yours, if that isn't good enough for the player I probably don't want them at my gaming table anyways. All I will promise is that fun is my number one goal, and that in no way means I have to give players all the "candy" they want.

So if i am running the core 3 books only, and that isn't good enough for a player, they can keep on going to someone elses game. Anyone who is more interested in how powerful they can make their character rather than how fun the game is, well, they are likely not to be someone I'll miss having at my games.

sckeener

First Post
Crothian said:
I do. Not everything is automatically there, but potentially anything could be. For instance I've never seen a Warlock in my own setting, but if a player would like to play one they could fit in there.

Echo. I'm open to introducing new stuff to my games, so any supplement is fair game. The usual driver is either a player that wants something from the supplement or an NPC I think would be cool using the supplement.

I think it is a harder sell on concepts that introduce totally new systems to the core such as Tome of Magic or Psionics (both of which are included in my worlds.)

Psion

Adventurer
I allow lots of supplements, but I'm not that free with things. I ban several specific player options and books outright, and allow no Eberron or FR material.

greywulf

First Post
I've played and GM'd both free and restrictive campaigns. If I'm picky, I prefer the restrictive ones as they have much more flavour and style. Y'know the ones where only Wood Elves from the F'larnyhym Forests are Rangers and only Fighters from ThatBigNothernTown use longswords.

That said, I'm GMing a very open game right now where Rule Zero is: "If you can convince me, it's in". I like to foster player imagination :) I've got an Arabian-style warforged Monk with an AMAZING backstory, a catfolk ranger and a CG duergar barbarian in the game. Each one has added something to the world mythos in a way that makes the gameworld seem more vibrant and.....real, somehow. I've given the players free hand to create whole cities, countries and religions. Hey, it makes life easier for me :)

Numion

First Post
Treebore said:
So if i am running the core 3 books only, and that isn't good enough for a player, they can keep on going to someone elses game. Anyone who is more interested in how powerful they can make their character rather than how fun the game is, well, they are likely not to be someone I'll miss having at my games.

You seem to equate wanting to play something besides same ol-same ol as wanting more power. Maybe you should not.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
By the definition the OP gave, no.

Replace 'WotC' with 'WotC, Green Ronin, Goodman Games, Game Mechanics, RPG Objects and Malhavoc' and affix 'most other d20-compatible material by request' to the end, and you get a yes.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Sometimes. A lot of times I will use a prestige class, spell, monster, etc. from different books, but maybe not everything from the book. As long as it can work in the setting.

Remove ads