• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kitsunemori - A New Campaign Setting

matthewajg

First Post
Answer to your question

kensanata said:
Thanks for sharing, Matthew. Your post reminded me of a few things in the book. I've now gone back to that NPC myobu and moved him up to level 9.

Assuming a starting prestige of 13 + 9x1.5 = 26 or less. This would give him four tails beyond the initlal two, and level advancement will have given him an additional two tails for a grand total of eight tails!

Free first feat and further feats taken at level 3, 6, and 9: Basic Illusion, Advanced Illusion, Ephemeral Illusion, and Lasting Illusion. I didn't check whether this makes sense with the number of tail prerequisites, so there's a potential mismatch, here.

In addition to that, myobu gain fox magic from a smaller list as well at level 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8. I picked Amiable Mien, Forceful Action, Basic Disguise, Advanced Disguise, and Craft Shrine Realm.

Does that seem plausible?

This character is supposed to be a well known protector of pilgrims and travelers in the eastern mountains of Sairyuukoe province. I have about six pages of material done and planning for another page. First session starts in about three hours. :)

It is hard to say if the Fox Magic powers you have chosen as feats are applicable, as the number of tails in the pre-reqs can be prohibitive. The trick in NPC and character designs for kitsune at higher levels is that it may appear as though a kitsune could have chosen a given power, but may not have had the appropriate number of tails at the time the feat becomes available. For instance, Advanced Illusion requires four tails (I hope I am right on that, but please double-check, as I do not have the rulebook in front of me), and you should be sure that the kitsune in question would actually have that many tails when they advance to 3rd level (and the feat slot is available). It is unlikely, but not impossible, that a kitsune could have four tails by the time they reach 3rd. It is important to note, however, that all feats must be chosen when a new level is reached...so, a kitsune may achieve their fourth tail while they are 3rd level, but they must select their 3rd level feat when they REACH 3rd level and may not have their fourth tail at the time. Do you follow? The best thing to do it make a quick chart of the NPC's prestige progression, and figure out how many tails they have at the BEGINNING of each level (taking into account that additional tails received through Myobu levels are gained when a kitsune reaches the new level, therefore they can be used in determining the number of tails needed for a pre-req).

If there is anything else I can do to help. Let me know.

Good luck with the KITSUNEMORI campaign! Please keep us posted on the game, how your players like the campaign setting, etc. Feedback is welcome.

--Matthew A.J. Gregory

kensanata

Explorer
It turned out not to be a problem at all, since the party did the right thing and avoided combat with the two Kitsune brothers I had written up. All that mattered was that they were powerful.

As for the setting, I think they liked it. One of them married a Japanese woman, the other studied sinology, so half the people at the table already had a big out-of-game interest in all things Asian. So questions involving prestige, face, and ceremony were all easily resolved. All of them were intrigued by a world filled with turtle demons (kappas), fox demons (kitsune), birdman swordmasters (tengu), and man-eating hill giants (kujo). More details to follow.

As far as Kitsunemori feedback goes: All I can say is that I found the NPC creation cumbersome (as you probably could tell). Not only was it complicated, but spread over different sections of the PDF file (myubo character class, kitsune prestige, fox magic). I like the fox magic system (it is simpler than the mage/cleric stuff), but I'm not sure whether linking fox magic to prestige was necessary. Prestige seems to be interesting in and of itself.

Everything else was very good, however: Monsters (tengu, kijo, and kappa) provided inspiration for the adventure on the village level; the province descriptions and the big temple background allowed me to settle on a bigger campaign on the han level, and there's still the overall campaign goal that I haven't even mentioned. That worked out really well. A few more buildings with some adventure hooks beyond the initial two would have been superb. The extra weapons added a nice touch to both PC and NPC creation, and I wouldn't want to miss it. In our game, however, players just picked an appropriate outfit and that was it, so they didn't get to see much of it.

I've used one of the adventure ideas already (tengu kidnapping a child) and have been inspired to plant a few more hints on the things to come. Having more of those to choose from would have been superb, too.

Last edited:

Cathix

First Post
kensanata said:
A few more buildings would have been superb. The extra weapons added a nice touch to both PC and NPC creation, and I wouldn't want to miss it. In our game, however, players just picked an appropriate outfit and that was it, so they didn't get to see much of it.

I've used one of the adventure ideas already (tengu kidnapping a child) and have been inspired to plant a few more hints on the things to come. Having more of those to choose from would have been superb, too.

The adventure details will follow, I'm sure.

I want to mention that I definately have it on my to-do list to get some generic buildings and floorplans out by the end of January. Those always seem to be popular, and useful.

kensanata

Explorer
Finding the Tengu is an adventure in Kitsunemori requiring lots of diplomacy by low-level characters in order to retrieve a child kidnapped by a tengu. I'm using the M20 rules (a subset of d20 that fits on a single page). That means you should take the stats from the Kitsunemori Campaign Setting for Kappa, Koji, and Tengu, and generate two appropriate Kitsune NPCs yourself if you want to play by the rules.

matthewajg

First Post
Nice work!

Kensanata,

Nice work with your short adventure. Some of the changes from d20 to M20 do alter the flavor of creatures (i.e. the kappa), but all in all, it's an interesting adventure for low-level characters.

Keep the Kitsunemori adventures coming! Also, don't forget that one of the most interesting aspects of any adventure in the Yonhosu Valley is that not everything is as it seems. Judicious use of disguised oni, kitsune masquerading as monks, and even shinobi hidden within a party as NPC's will not only add flavor to your games, but keep your players guessing!

kensanata

Explorer
Hm, did I miss something in my Kappa conversion? I thought that there was rotting (=more damage) and grappling (which i translated into stunning, because basically it means that you will be hit without being able to hit back).

I've written a follow-up that uses a traitor NPC joining the party; it starts with what looks like a Kappa attack on a delegation from the neighbouring village, but turns out to be an agent of evil trying to capture a small bandit hide-out using a nearby Kappa clan and the players: The Kappa Scourge.

Inspired by "The Bandits of Orbless" by Frostmarrow.

kensanata

Explorer
I'm working on my third PDF for my campaign. My players have decided to return to the bandit Musashi who is trying to gain a foothold in the north of Sairyuukoe province where my campaign started after having been kicked out of Akaki province, and so it seems it will be a few more weeks before I get to fix the remaining stuff. I'd be interested in any feedback in the mean time.

I'm still using the minimalist M20 rules, so ignore all the stat blocks. Unless you're willing to work on them and try to get this stuff published, hehe. ;)

Anyway. It's pretty big (4M): The Turning Tide.

My players are now returning to the bandit hide-out, where I plan to introduce evil clerics aiding Musashi and setting up one of the corrupt temples. In Hakone, the town described in The Turning Tide, my players have run into their first Oni summoned by an Izanami priest and they have heard of an evil necromancer raising an army of undead in a nearby valley. I'm suspecting this is where they'll be headed when the Hakone business is dealt with.

Cathix

First Post
kensanata said:
I'm working on my third PDF for my campaign. My players have decided to return to the bandit Musashi who is trying to gain a foothold in the north of Sairyuukoe province where my campaign started after having been kicked out of Akaki province, and so it seems it will be a few more weeks before I get to fix the remaining stuff. I'd be interested in any feedback in the mean time.

I'm still using the minimalist M20 rules, so ignore all the stat blocks. Unless you're willing to work on them and try to get this stuff published, hehe. ;)

Anyway. It's pretty big (4M): The Turning Tide.

My players are now returning to the bandit hide-out, where I plan to introduce evil clerics aiding Musashi and setting up one of the corrupt temples. In Hakone, the town described in The Turning Tide, my players have run into their first Oni summoned by an Izanami priest and they have heard of an evil necromancer raising an army of undead in a nearby valley. I'm suspecting this is where they'll be headed when the Hakone business is dealt with.

I've been laid up with the flu - but I'm definately going to give this a read! And as far as being published goes, if you're interested in pursuing that, you can find me right here:

dbalsamATdogsoulDOTnet. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads