Knightfall's World of Kulan: Tales of the Companions Story Hour (Final Update: Sep 20, 2014)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NOTE: Post a little note if you're reading this story hour. I'd like to find out if this story hour still has an audience.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Alliance (cont.)

The ferry crossing:
“Barclay,” the old crone shrieked for her son who was lazing under a nearby tree. “Riders' a coming! Get the ferry ready you sloth!”

Barclay Waterdown startled from his nap scornfully looking at his mother. He’d been dreaming of the little miss he’d met in Nikel last summer – a loose half-elven girl who’d called herself Lillian. He stood up hitting his head on a low branch on the tree, as he heard the hooves of several horses riding towards Waterdown Ferry. His family ran the ferry and had always done so regardless of bandits, ogres, and whatnot.

The tall man rubbed his head as his mother laughed at him. He gritted his teeth so as not to start screaming at the old bird. A fight in front of customers is bad for business. He’d show her someday though. He’d go back to Nikel and pay off Lillian’s debt to the brothel in return for her becoming his wife. The ferry makes more money in a year than most other businesses do in 5 years. Lillian hadn’t agreed yet but she would. No woman in her right mind would turn down such a comfortable life and she wouldn’t have to deal with all those nasty men.

Barclay brushed himself off and cleaned the grubs out of his teeth. He ran over to the ferry and started testing the ropes that would take his latest fare across the Gurret River.

Yep, next year when he came back with his new wife he’d dump his mother in the river and watch her drown. The old bat!

“Good day to you, madam.” Garth reined Hindle in front of the ferry’s only building. “I was wondering if you might have any provisions we could buy? Also, how much to cross the river?”

“We don’t sell much in the way of goods here,” the old crone spat on the ground in front of her. “Some dried, smoked meat and there’s a rain barrel out back in you want water.”

“And it’s 5 gold a piece if you want to cross on my ferry, mister.” Garth turned his head to see a tall, lanky man with twisted teeth and the ugliest face he’d ever seen walking towards him.

“5 gold a piece,” Mesik lost his cool. “That’s an outrageous sum!”

“Well if you think that, small fry, then just for you its 10 gold pieces.” The man glared down Mesik with his one good eye.

“I see,” Garth turned towards the man glaring. “It’s going to be like that is it?”

“Yes sir, it is.” The man grinned and Garth felt like he was going to retch.

“Well if that’s your final offer then I guess we’ll find someplace else to cross.” Dabuk swung down off his horse his hand on his blade. He didn’t like this man and he wasn’t about to be intimidated.

“You can try,” the man ran his dirty fingernails through his greasy black hair. “There isn’t another place to cross the river until you get to Gurreton down river and that’s at least another 20 miles. And that’s if the forest beasts don’t get you.”

“Well, since we’ve come this far,” Dabuk had him. “Another 20 miles isn’t that big a deal, right father?”

“Yes,” Garth turned to the old woman. “We’ve been traveling for some time on a diplomatic mission from the other side of the Great Forest. We’ll take all the smoked meat you’ve got but we’ll pass on the water and ferry ride. I’m assuming your dry goods are as expensive as your ferry ride?”

Garth starts counting out gold and platinum pieces in front of the old crone and her eyes nearly pop out of her head.

“Hades praise me,” the old woman gulps eyeing the Justicar’s coins like a starving vulture. “You can have all the s-smoked meat for 5 gold and the ferry ride will only cost you 3 gold a piece, as long as when you get to where you’re going that you tell ‘em that Waterdown Ferry is place to cross the Gurret River.”

“Of course, madam.”

“Now hold on a second,” the lanky man runs up to old woman and backhands her across the face. “This is my ferry, you old bag and I’ll decide how much it costs to cross.”

Garth and Dabuk both draw their swords.

“Help me,” the old woman puts up her hands to block her son’s next blow. “He’s gone crazy!”

Garth steps forward and hits the man over the head with the pommel of his sword. The man falls to one knee and grabs for a dagger in his boot. Dabuk steps up on the other side of the man and skewers his hand to the ground.

“Ah! Damn you, you stinking half-breed!”

“That, you should not have said.” Garth raises his sword bringing it down across the man’s back, splitting him in half. “I am the Justicar and you have just been judged.”

The old woman stares in shock at her dead son but feels little remorse for him. Then she stares up at Garth and wonders if she’ll be next. The man known as the Justicar throughout the Eastern Shores cleans his blade on the grass then sheaths it. He pulls out a small belt pouch of coins and tosses it to the old lady.

“This should cover the loss of your son and pay for his burial.”

The old lady’s eyes weep with joy when she opens it and sees gold and platinum. There’s more money in this one pouch then she’s ever had in her whole life.

“And I’m sorry it had to be this way, madam. But he hurt an innocent and slandered my son’s heritage. Justice and honor demanded retribution, in Jalivier’s name.”

“I- I understand,” she bit one of the platinum pieces. It was real all right. “But I can’t help you cross on the ferry. I’m too old to work the lines.”

“Oh, I think we can manage. And this young lad here,” Garth points to Bactra. “He should be able to conjure up something to send the ferry back, right Bactra?”

“Hmm, and unseen servant might be able to do it but I’m not sure. It could be too much weight.”

“Think nothing of it, good sir.” The old lady looked across the river towards Volik. “I have relatives across the way. I’ll simply shut down the ferry for the day and come with you.”

“Fine, now how much is it for the dried meat and ferry ride again?”

“But you’ve already paid me!”

“No madam,” Garth smiled as he began rummaging through one of his other belt pouches. “I paid you for the death and burial of your son, not for the goods or the ride.”

She just stood there dumbfounded.

“I believe she said 5 gold for the meat and 3 gold per person for the ferry ride, Garth.” Mesik motioned his pony forward onto the ferry.

“Ah yes,” Garth counted out the coins and handed them to the old woman.

She was still flabbergasted by the amount of money she had made this day. She looked up at the man who called himself the Justicar and wondered if it was too late to convert to worship Jalivier. The man was like a saint.

“Gather anything you’ll need, old mother. Me and my son will attend to wrapping your son’s body for burial.”

She bowed her head several times and then ran off into the building cackling with glee.

The Gurret River:
Thessa stared down into the deep water trying not to shake. She had to get over the fear gripping her heart. It was unnatural and yet praying to Baervan for guidance hadn’t helped her any.

“Thessa, you all right?” Bactra place a hand on her shoulder and the gnome priestess nearly jumped out of her skin. “I guess that’s a no.”

“Yes, you’re right. I do feel a little distraught but I’m going to have to work on this by myself.”

“You’re being as stubborn as Dabuk.” Mesik lean up against the railing of the ferry next to her opposite of Bactra.

Thessa scrunched up her face at him then laughed. It was like tiny little bells ringing. Mesik felt his heart lurch wishing he could tell her how much he liked her. But he knew now that she loved Dvalin and that his friend returned that love. He wouldn’t get in the way no matter how he felt.

“Remember Thessa, it is only water.” The halfling rogue put on his best happy face for her, praying his eyes wouldn’t betray him.

“Mesik is right,” Bactra leaned over the edge running his hand though the cold, crisp water of the Gurret River. “And with the magic of nature by you’re side you have little to fear from it.”

“I guess so,” Thessa eyes the water nervously. “But I’m still wary of it.”

“And of course you should be. Nature can be deadly if you’re not prepared to face it. I can honestly say, however, that I’ve never met anyone more prepared to face… no to embrace nature than you are, Thessa.”

Bactra’s words lifted the little gnome priestess’s spirits. She patted his hand and gave Mesik a big hug. The halfling rogue’s face turned bright crimson and Bactra had to stifle a laugh.

Thessa let her friend go, noticed his discomfort, and thought better than to say anything. She had always known he fancied her from the first time they met. He had been confident but drawn to her as they had shook hands and introduced themselves.

“Thanks you two,” Thessa patted Mesik’s arm. “I’m going to make sure Wispy is all right.”

The two watched her circumnavigate goods tied down to the ferry and several mounts, as well as the old lady’s personal effects, to check on her pony. There had been far more that the old lady had insisted on taking with her than Garth had counted on, but he remained true to his word.

The Justicar and his son were working the lines and doing a decent job of it. Garth barked out orders to Bactra and Mesik who were supposed to be helping by making sure the animals and goods were secure. They jumped to follow Garth’s orders, as the ferry slowly made its way across the river.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Alliance (cont.)

Northern bank of the Gurret River:
“Are you sure you don’t want to come into town, Justicar?” The old woman appeared to have become overly fond of Garth.

“No madam,” the Justicar speaks without any embarrassment in her voice. “We must keep moving.”

Dabuk knew that the truth was his father felt little beyond justice and honor. He had cleaved her son in two and felt no remorse. The kill was justified in his father’s eyes and maybe it was. Still it wouldn’t hurt for his father to let down his guard for a minute. Maybe Dabuk would have a chance to really get to know him.

“Suit yourself,” the woman seemed disheartened by his cold demeanor. Dabuk worried she might betray them to the local constabulary, something his father would never consider.

“Do not fret madam,” Dabuk had to smooth things over. “We do have to return this way. Perhaps we will have time to stop in and see how you’re doing, right father?”

“Perhaps,” Garth smiled at his son, realizing that he had missed the woman’s uncertainty and possible hostility.

“All right then,” she beamed with a toothy grin, easily swayed by Dabuk’s words. “Travel safely Justicar. May Hades bring you coin and may Jalivier keep you in the light.”

Mesik had to hide his face to keep from giggling. Invoking Hades and Jalivier together was unheard of even though they were allies. It was the strangest combined blessing any of them had ever heard.

The old lady set her wagon into motion with all her goods and worldly possessions. She cackled with glee at the fortune that Hades had brought her. Now she could die happy.

“She was a strange old bird.” Bactra shook his head in confusion. “No amount of coin would keep an elf from swearing revenge. No offense to you uncle. I know you were in the right but I don’t understand human behavior sometimes.”

“He did hit her, Bactra.”

“True, but I’ve seen other humans hit their kin for no good reason. What was different about this?”

“He did it in front of me and he insulted Dabuk.”

“But uncle, Dabuk can take care of himself.” Bactra noticed Mesik and Dabuk motioning to him to stop.

“Enough!” Garth grabbed Bactra by the collar. “I will not debate my actions with you. It was righteous by Jalivier!”

Bactra realized his mistake too late. It hadn’t been about Dabuk or even Garth himself. It had been about Dabuk’s mother.

“I understand, uncle. I am sorry.”

Garth blinked, let Bactra go and then moved towards Hindle. He mounted the horse in one quick motion and began to move away at a slow trot.

“Don’t hold it against him, lad.” Mesik mounted his pony and motioned for everyone to do the same. “Best let him ride alone out front for a bit. Dabuk, take up the rear if you’re up to it.”

“Not a problem.” Dabuk mounted. He waited for Bactra as the others rode ahead. “It was about mother.”

“I know.” Bactra mounted his own horse and rode in the back with Dabuk.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Alliance (cont.)

Just before dusk the next day, 20 miles north of Volik:

“They’ll be here,” Garth watched in the fading light for his friend Kellin and the vonakyndra sellsword.

“They better be soon,” Dabuk poked at the campfire scowling into the light and heat radiating from it. “And Hugh better be in one piece or Kellin is going feel my sword between his ribs.”

Garth made no response to the insult to his friend’s honor. He’d given up trying to reason with his son. Garth watched and waited as the sun dipped further down over the horizon. At this rate it would be dark before they arrived. Garth wasn’t worried about Hougwarth, Kellin would sacrifice his life for the vonakyndra if it came to that, and it was that fact which worried the Justicar.

“Uncle, please sit down.” Bactra spoke as eloquently as he could. “A watched tree will never fall.”

“Did you’re father teach you that phrase, nephew?” Garth sighed shaking his head. He knew Bactra was right. Staring at the horizon won’t make them appear over it any faster.

“No,” Garth could hear the boy’s smile in his words. “Aunt Eiithinia did.”

Garth couldn’t help but laugh at his foolishness. He’d become annoyed with the boy the other day at the ferry for no good reason. Bactra had realized it and had held his tongue. Garth had considered apologizing but knew that Bactra had already forgiven him. There wasn’t any point in beating a dead mule further. Soon the others were all tittering and swapping jokes. It was the first real break in the tension since they had killed the ogres who had sacked Burnholm.

“Ha,” Mesik leaned back smoking a long pipe, which he carried with him everywhere. He only used it when the mood was right, as the potent pipe-weed was highly addictive if overused. “Good one Dabuk, but don’t let Dvalin hear that one. He might be offended.”

“He was the one who told it to me,” Dabuk laughed out loud and the others were soon rolling on the ground.

“Ah, leave it to Dvalin to make fun of his own.” Bactra stared into the fired his hand propped under his chin. “I wonder what he’s doing right now.”

“Probably trying to avoid his fiancée.” Mesik failed to realize his mistake before the words were out of his mouth. “Uh-hum, sorry Thessa. I know that’s a bad subject.”

“It’s all right,” Thessa sighed. “It’s not like he and I can do anything about it. He has his life and I have mine.”

“You’ll see him again,” Dabuk tried to comfort his small friend. “And maybe the High Thane will take a huge dislike to him and send him on his way. Don’t give up hope, Thessa.”

“Yeah,” Bactra beamed at the little gnome priestess. “Dvalin could annoy a treant.”

Everyone laughed at the thought of Dvalin arguing with one of the great tree men of Harqual Forest. Treants were known for their patience but if anyone could annoy a treant it was Dvalin. Just his personality alone could be grating at times.”

“Remember when he dumped over that tradesman cart because the man had told him that his dwarven hammer had been made by a elf.” Dabuk looked at Mesik while slapping his knee.

“Do I,” Mesik rolled his eyes trying not to burst out laughing. “I was the one who had to run for cover when the tradesman’s wares went flying into the air.”

“Yeah,” Bactra was drawing arcane symbols in the earth. “And one of the tradesman’s great helms came down and landed right on Dvalin’s head, fitting him like a glove.”

“That was priceless,” Dabuk rubbed his chin laughing. “And then the tradesman started to yell for help and we were sure the watch was going to haul us off to the locale lockup.”

“So what happened?” Thessa couldn’t help but be curious.

“Dvalin liked the helmet so much he offered to buy it from the tradesman right on the spot. He paid a premium for it but it calmed the man down.” Dabuk poked the fire again.

“I’ll give you five gold shields for it, he said, and not one shield more.” Mesik did his best impersonation of Dvalin. “Take that I will let your comment go.”

“That doesn’t seem like too much for a good helmet.” Thessa started giggling. “But it does sound funny.”

“Oh, b-but you see, Dvalin was still new to human c-culture and didn’t realize that f-five dwarven gold shields are worth twice that in the Eastern Shores.” Mesik was laughing out of control.

“We wanted to tell him at the time but we were worried that he might go off again if he thought the tradesman was trying to cheat him.” Bactra finished his arcane script in the dirt finishing with a flourish. The symbols glowed brightly for a second but then faded away.

“What the heck are you doing, Bactra?” Dabuk had been dividing his attention between the conversation and his cousin’s scribbling.

“Oh just playing around with a new cantrip. It is called arcane mark.” Bactra shrugged his shoulders yawning.

“What’s it do?” Mesik leaned over the fire to try and see what all the fuss was about.

“It allows me to inscribe a personal rune, which can be either visible or invisible. I was trying the invisible version. I think it worked.” Bactra checked his spellbook.

“Ah,” Mesik grinned as a new joke came to mind. “Sort of like pissing in the snow for wizards.”

Everyone, even Bactra, laughed at that one.

The humor died down as the sun disappeared over the horizon. There still wasn’t any sign of Kellin and Hougwarth.

“They’ll be here,” Garth dumped two more sticking on the fire.

“I hope you’re right,” Bactra looked at his cousin out of the corner of his eye. He knew Dabuk would make good on his threat if something had happened to the vonakyndra.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Alliance (cont.)

The camp near Midnight:

“I heard something,” Dabuk stared out into the darkness beyond the campfire. “I’m sure of it.”

“You said that an hour ago,” Garth was becoming tired of his son’s mood and suspicion. “You worry too much. Kellin and Hugh can take care of themselves.”

“I admit, I made a mistake earlier but I’m telling you I heard something. There!” Dabuk unsheathed his sword and pointed with it into the dark.

Garth knew his son’s eye’s were a powerful gift from his mother and had learned to trust them, if not his son’s ears. He stood next to his son peering into the darkness.

“Where exactly?” Garth felt blind beyond the light of the fire.

“To your left, father. I’d say roughly 40 feet away.” Dabuk could make out the shape, hugging the ground. “It could be a humanoid of some kind, crouched down. Not an ogre though, I would have smelled it a mile away.”

“No doubt, not an orc either. Or I would have smelled it three miles away. I’ll wake the others, keep your eyes on it.”

Garth silently moved through the small camp waking the others as silently as possible. He was glad that Dvalin was not present, despite the dwarf’s darkvision. The dwarven fighter would have made a huge ruckus.

“More than one now.” Dabuk sheathed his sword, readying his bow. “Could be a scouting party. No light source though, must be humanoid.”

“Let me see.” Bactra stepped up next to his cousin, his powerful elven sight piercing even further into the darkness. “I see them. There’s another about 5 feet behind them to the right.”

“I see it.” Dabuk knocks an arrow to his bow but keeps it leveled at the ground. “And another with it.”

“Yes,” Bactra stares out into the darkness in every direction. “I don’t see any others.”

“Do you smell it?” Dabuk raised his bow ready for the onslaught to come.

“Yes, the bloody dog heads, somehow they sneaked up on us.” Garth drew his blade as the first cry pierced the night. “Damn, I hate that sound!”

“Gnolls…” Dabuk shot his first arrow into the night, as the magical sound washed over him, hoping his aim was true.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Alliance (cont.)

Battle in the dark:

Again the gnolls’ cries come, their high-pitched laugh rolling out of the darkness. The magical noise pushes against Dabuk’s will but he resists. His arrow flies true into the first gnoll. The creature flinches but continues to advance.

Bactra gestures, the arcane energy flowing out of his body. A magic missile streaks into the night impacting the advancing gnoll. The creature cries out again, but this time in pain.

“More of them,” Dabuk sees four more appear out of the darkness on his flank. He fires again killing the gnoll he damaged before. “At least four and, damn, what is that?”

Garth covers his son’s flank meeting one of the creatures with his blade. Its magical edge makes short work of the gnoll. Garth cannot see what his son does but the piercing howl tells him all he needs to know. He shivers as the fear tries to take him.

“By Larea, they have a flind with them. Watch yourselves, its howl can break your will.”

“N-no kidding,” Mesik’s hands shake as he tries to steady Sheao. “T-that’s n-not fair!”

“No one said life was fair.” Garth calmly kills another gnoll as the flind comes into view at the edge of the firelight. “This is not good.”

The creature stands 14 feet tall carrying a large club in its hand. It looks similar to the gnolls with a dog-like head but more twisted. The creature roars again and Mesik drops to one knee. The gnolls laugh their cry again.

“Damn it,” Dabuk’s arrows sink into one gnoll after anther but he isn’t doing enough damage. “Mesik, get up! We need you!”

“I-I can’t m-move.” The little halfling watches helplessly as the flind rushes toward Garth. The creature looms in front of Mesik’s eyes. He doesn’t see the gnoll about to decapitate him with its battleaxe.

“No you don’t you filthy beast,” Thessa steps in front of the gnoll slamming her walking staff into the creature’s nose, breaking it. Blood gushes from the wound onto Thessa’s staff. “Ew, how disgusting!”

The gnoll backs up with a snarl, holding its nose. “You will pay for that, little meat.”

“What did it say?” Thessa cannot understand the gnoll’s barks and growls.

“It’s a compliment.” Dabuk drops his bow, unsheathes his sword and kills another gnoll. “Just kill it and move on to the next one. There are more coming!”

The flind brings its club down to crush Garth, but the veteran ranger dodges to the left slicing up with he sword. The magical blade sinks into the creature’s ribs and it snarls at the puny human who hurt it.

“I will eat your bones!” The beast swings his club back catching Garth in the ribs. Garth takes the full force of the swing and flies back 10 feet over the fire.

“Father!” Surrounded by gnolls, Dabuk watches helplessly as the flind stalks towards Garth. “Mesik! Mesik! Do something!”

The halfling rogue shakes on the ground clutching Sheao.

“He can’t, the fear has him.” Bactra stands back to back with his cousin fighting with his staff. “I might be able to dispel it but not from here.”

The flind roars out as it steps over the fire pit. Garth grasps for his sword, laying a foot beyond his reach, his hands shaking. This would be a bad time to die, he thinks.

“Father!” Dabuk watches helplessly as the flind brings down his powerful club, a beastly roar ringing through the night.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Knightfall1972, I've only just begun to read this one, but I like it so far! :D I'll try to comment again once I'm more caught up in the story...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
the Jester said:
Knightfall1972, I've only just begun to read this one, but I like it so far! :D I'll try to comment again once I'm more caught up in the story...

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to read it.

I haven't been updating it and Realmsian Dragonstar (see sig) as often as I'd like. The constant, chronic pain in my left arm was reall bad for a while.

And while a lot better, I still have my off days. (I'm going to need Tylenol in a bit.)

I'm planning on writing a few more updates for World of Kulan before attempting to write more for RD. With that one, the updates are usually longer and more complex.

Anyway, I need that Tylenol now... and some breakfast/lunch.

KF72

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases