D&D (2024) Knocking druids out of wild shape.

Druid fall out of wild shape...

• Only when they reach 0hp.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Left up to chance (concentration save or similar).

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • After they take a certain amount of damage (temporary hit points or similar)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.7%

mellored

Legend
Should creatures be able to knock a druid out of wild shape?
Should they only transform back when your knocked out?
Is it fun to run around as a 1hp mouse, afraid of even a cat swiping at you and losing your form?
Should it be left up to chance?

I voted for when they hit 0 HP, but I have some reasons, exemptions, and further variables to suggest.

First, I don't think it should be concentration because I do like for a druid to be able to concentrate on a druid spell while in wildshape. I also want a druid to be able to be a cat and take a nap in a sunbeam without losing their form.

Second, I don't want full HP ablative armor. I prefer some temporary HP for a form, but it's still your HP and you are very much getting hurt when you take damage in your wildshape. That more accurately fits the narrative in my mind. If you are a deer and you get hit by a hunters arrow, and if you change back, you still have the injury if you don't get healing. (Though maybe a little healing with Wildshape is fine at some level.)

Third, I think there should be a special lower-level Critter form (for city work and infiltration), and for that low-level functionality, it could be balanced that if the druid takes damage it gets knocked out of that form.

mellored

Legend
That more accurately fits the narrative in my mind. If you are a deer and you get hit by a hunters arrow, and if you change back, you still have the injury if you don't get healing. (Though maybe a little healing with Wildshape is fine at some level.)
What if you had resistance while in animal form? So the arrow still hurts, but half as much.
*AC could be lower for balance.

Splitting critter form to have THP could allow for both narratives.

What if you had resistance while in animal form? So the arrow still hurts, but half as much.
*AC could be lower for balance.

Splitting critter form to have THP could allow for both narratives.
Maybe the Druid gets THP equal to their level when they use wildshape.

Then, the Critter could have a special rule that if they no longer have THP from Wildshape, they are knocked out of that form. But In combat forms they are not knocked out until they are reduced to 0 HP.

Clint_L

Hero
I'm fine with how it currently works, except that it's OP in low level moon druids. But maybe the next test version will have something better.

Horwath

Legend
3.5e PHB 2 version.

at-will wild shape from level 1.

you use your own HPs, forms just change your stats, movement and attack types.

This would never happen, but I would be interested in Circle of the Moon Druid being more lunar in theme, rather than "Moon" being all about Wildshaping. Base Wildshape is not lycanthropy in any way shape of form, it has nothing to do with the moon. I would break the "Wildshape" out into its own Circle of the Beast subclass which takes what the Circle of the Moon was.

Here is a Druid design idea. The Base Druid is a Nature Priest (not a combat wildshaper, but a full-spellcaster with some cool Channel Nature abilities.)

Level 1: Spellcasting
Level 1: Druidic Language
Level 1: Channel Nature PBx/day. 2 Channel Nature Options:
  • Healing Blossoms. like the playtest, but grant a scaling 1d8 healing per PB.
  • Elemental Strike. For 1 minute, you imbue your attacks with a natural element of your choice. Once per your turn, when you attack and hit an enemy with a weapon, bestial strike, or a spell, you deal +1d6 extra damage of the chosen type.
Level 2: Critter Friend: Can speak with animals (similar to a gnome). Also, 2 Channel Nature Options:
  • Critter Wildshape. (Non-combat form) Lasts 1 hour. Can pick Climb, Fly, or Swim speed when used.
  • Wild Companion. A Find Familiar Critter pet. Druids love animals and primal spirits so why not have a beast spirit pet? The spirit can also be that of a now-dead animal that they knew in life.
Level 3 Subclass Ability: Circle of the Beast - Combat Wildshape. Stat Block-based but lots of shape-based abilities to choose from.
Level 4: Feat
Level 5: Call Lightning. This 3rd level (now) Druid-only spell is always prepared for you. Updated Spell. It doesn't use concentration anymore.
Level 6 Subclass Ability: Might of the Wilds. (Which unlocks all the updated stat blocks of Might of the Land, Aquatic Form, and Aerial Form. Much simpler to track what/when you can do stuff. Flying arrives at this level too.)
Level 7: Anyone have any cool ideas?
Level 8: Feat
Level 9: Commune With Nature. This (now) Druid-only spell is always prepared for you. You can cast it once without a spell slot. Updated Spell: You can choose a number of facts (bullet points) equal to your PB (you get them all at L17).
Level 10: Subclass Ability: Master of Many Forms.
  • Alternate Forms (As playtest.)
  • Thousand Forms (Always have Alter Self prepared and can cast without spell slot.)
Level 11: Transport Via Plants. This 6th level (now) Druid-only spell is always prepared for you.
Level 12: Feat
Level 14: Subclass Ability: Beast Spells. (As playtest).
Level 15: Anyone have any cool ideas?
Level 16: Feat
Level 17: Nature Mastery: When you Channel Nature, you get 2 Channel Nature effects from those you know at the same time. They must be different. (Can be used with Channel Nature options from Subclasses too.)
Level 18: Archdruid. (As playtest.)
Level 19: Feat
Level 20: Epic Boon

Circle of the Moon - (Fill in the blanks. What is something cool that would honor the Lunar Cycle theme? Lycanthropy-adjacent? Lunar Magic?)
Level 3 Subclass Ability:
Level 6
Subclass Ability:
Level 10: Subclass Ability:
Level 14:
Subclass Ability:

mellored

Legend
This would never happen, but I would be interested in Circle of the Moon Druid being more lunar in theme, rather than "Moon" being all about Wildshaping.
Well...
You can "choosing a hybrid form that incorporates visual characteristics from two or more animals"

So if you pick to be a hybrid Ape and Wolf..

mellored

Legend
Given the strong showing for 0HP.

I am going to recommend

low AC (10+proficiency)
damage resistance (half druid level)
concentration bonus (+5 to the save)

Critter form
1 THP, ends when it is lost

Remove ads