• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Known World fringe races for 4E

Siroh

First Post
I wanted to post these for feedback. The Primary source of inspiration comes from the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix, with some looks at 3E sources and Red Steel after that. I am updating these races for my 4E campaign, and I wanted them to be fun but retain their core flavor (so I didn't mention Renardy for instance). Balance comments, and other constructive criticism are welcome. I also realize I didn't include any background text on Rakasta.

Lupin
Canine humanoids with a flair for both tenacity and the dramatic

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height:
5’10 to 6’6”
Average Weight: 170 to 210 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Perception
Lycanthrope Hunter: Lupins gain a +4 power bonus to Nature checks relating to Lycanthropes, and a +2 power bonus to Heal checks to aid another in recovering from a Lycanthrope-caused disease.
Obstinate Recovery: +5 racial bonus to saving throws versus diseases.
Pack Tactics: You can use Pack Tactics as an at-will power.
Sniff Out Shifters: Lupin may make a Perception test whenever they meet a shapechanger in a mundane humanoid or animal form. The DC for this test is 25, and if they make it they know the target is not what it appears to be. They can attempt a Nature check to determine more information. They gain a +8 power bonus to the Perception check if the target is a werewolf.

Pack Tactics Lupin Racial Power
You circle the foe, darting in and back threatening with your weapons.
At-Will
Immediate Reaction Personal

Trigger: You have just made a melee attack.
Effect: You shift 1 square.

Lupin resemble furry, upright, canines with sleek humanoid bodies. They have the vicious teeth of a carnivore, and non-prehensile tails, but lack claws on their digits. As they grow older, their fur turns white. They wear clothes and armor, and use tools and weapons just like all the other races of Mystara.

Most Lupins encountered in the Known World are small tribes of wandering nomads. Lupins are fairly jovial in general, turning serious when threatened or sensing signs of a lycanthrope, their ancestral enemies. In particular Lupins despise werewolves, and often immediately attack them with murderous intent, regardless of what form the werewolf is in. Personality wise, lupin are also practical and prone to seek consensus.

A typical tribe is lead by the White Howl, a group of white furred elders. Each White Howl has a younger spokesman who speaks for the Howl and leads the tribes warriors in situations of war. There are rumors that entire kingdoms of Lupin exist far to the west of the Known World. Lupin adventurers are relatively rare, but not more or less rare than Dragonborn in Brun.

Lupins make excellent Fighters, Rangers, and Rogues.

Rakasta
Honorable but scarily bloodthirsty felinoid warriors

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height:
5’3” to 6’0”
Average Weight: 153 to 188 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Stealth
Clawed Digits: Rakasta gain a +1 bonus to Climbing if their hands are free and they are not wearing boots. They also gain a +2 bonus to Saving Throws to avoid falling if their hands are free at the time.
Grace of the Cat: Rakasta ignore the first 30 feet when determining damage from a fall.
Sense the Unseen: Rakasta gain a +4 bonus to detect invisible, incorporeal beings within close combat range.
Burst of Energy: You can use Burst of Energy as an encounter power

Burst of Energy Racial Power
You put on a burst of power and speed for a short time, acting with vitality belied by your normally languid state.
Encounter
Free action Personal
Effect:
You gain a +2 bonus to your Speed, a +1 to Hit and a +2 to Acrobatics and Athletics checks until the start of your next turn.

Rakasta make excellent Rangers, Rogues, and Clerics.

Paragon
Extended Burst of Speed [Rakasta]
Prerequisites:
Rakasta, Burst of Speed racial power
Benefit: When you use your Burst of Speed ability, it lasts until the end of the encounter. If you are Dazed, Dominated, Stunned or otherwise unable to perform actions, Burst of Speed ends at the beginning of your turn.

Last edited:

Siroh

First Post
!

no stat bonuses or penalties in 4E

Okay. Well I want to simulate that the rakasta is acting with something akin to an adrenaline boost. I don't really favor a blanket +1 to damage, and I was kind of liking the fact you could use it to help overcome a physical obstacle (athletics, etc.), but just a +2 speed seems really underpowered as an encounter power. Any suggestions for replacements?

Siroh

First Post
Hrm, situational isn't great that's true. I may just remove it entirely. It's goes with the race's origins, but it doesn't need to show up in mechanics.

Siroh

First Post
a blanket + to hit?
a bonus the strength checks and skills?

Here is the revision.

Burst of Energy Racial Power
You put on a burst of power and speed for a short time, acting with vitality belied by your normally languid state.
Encounter
Free action Personal

Effect: You gain a +2 bonus to your Speed, a +1 to Hit and +2 to Acrobatics and Athletics checks until the Start of Your Next Turn.

Remove ads