• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobbits?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I'm starting a new thread so as to not take away from the halfling thread in the 4e discussion thread.

In our last episode...

RPG_Tweaker said:
My first inspiration to change them was an illustration of a Kobbit from an Arduin monster card included in the Caliban module. They were lean and fit, though more hairy. They were also a tad more feral and much more tricksy.

Okay, I have to know more about what a Kobbit is. I saw something about a kobold/hobbit halfbreed, but that's about it.

Anyone got any more details?

Asmor

First Post
Never heard of a kobbit, but when I read that title the thing that immediately popped into my mind was some sort of kobold/halfling hybrid.

Get to it! That's an order!

haus48

Explorer
Kobbitts are a mixture of kobolds and hobbitts from David Hargrave's world Arduin. I can summarize by saying they are pugnacious, scrappy, and resilient lot, not choosy about what they eat as long as there is a lot of it. They are great with slings and throwing knives and make great thieves. Finally their apperance is similar to a halfling but they are normally more craggy and homely, but they are prone to bizarre mutations giving them strange color combinations for their eyes, hair, and skin. You can learn a little bit about the world at www.worldofkhaas.com I enjoy the world but I may be biased since my friends used a lot of the original books back in my high school days (man did I just date myself). Playing Deodanth characters and fighting Air sharks brings back a lot of fond memories. I bought the World book of Khaas a couple of years ago and I will say it was an awesome read, very old school D&D which I am sure would not apeal to everyone (literally anything could happen from fantasy, to future tech, to Cthulhu mythos and all within a 5 minute period) but if there is not something you can steal and use for a homebrew I would be quite shocked.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
haus48 said:
Kobbitts are a mixture of kobolds and hobbitts from David Hargrave's world Arduin. I can summarize by saying they are pugnacious, scrappy, and resilient lot, not choosy about what they eat as long as there is a lot of it. They are great with slings and throwing knives and make great thieves. Finally their apperance is similar to a halfling but they are normally more craggy and homely, but they are prone to bizarre mutations giving them strange color combinations for their eyes, hair, and skin.

That's just cool. I could picture a group of these based on the Pathfinder kobolds, with (example) green hair and eyes, or some such.

So are there any stats on these guys? Anyone convert them to d20?

I bought the World book of Khaas a couple of years ago and I will say it was an awesome read, very old school D&D which I am sure would not apeal to everyone (literally anything could happen from fantasy, to future tech, to Cthulhu mythos and all within a 5 minute period) but if there is not something you can steal and use for a homebrew I would be quite shocked.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up. This sounds like a lot of fun.

EDIT: So what are wolflings?

Last edited:

danbuter1

First Post
Richards said:
My first thought, upon reading the thread title, was that kobbit = kender + hobbit.

Johnathan

That's what I thought, as well. Especially given what's been said about 4e halflings

haus48

Explorer
Dragonhelm, I have never seen any D20 conversion stats for any of the Arduin line creatures, but I have never really looked into the new role playing system they have for it so something from that may be portable. If I made them I would combine the best from kobolds and halflings to create a perfect rogue race (since they are stated to be the best thieves on their world).

The wolflings are not quite as fun as player characters in my opinion. They were a race that escaped their old dying world through a nexus gate, making them the fastest, meanest, and strongest of their race where everything was out to get them. They are a survival oriented race with almost no moral, philosophical, or religious constraints (its a dog eat dog world is the main source of inspiration for their creation). They are not evil per se, but they are cold, heartless, and amoral with no friendship qualities within themselves. They are even stated to eat their own wounded that can no longer keep up! Great barbarian antagonists for player characters though, they were forced to give up civilization and its "for the good of the society thinking" to just survive so it can lead to great role playing quandries between morality and ruthless pragmatism.

Remove ads