D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

Hussar

Legend
And from my position, your claim seems to come back to "well right now I just so happen to be getting the game I like, so popularity is the best thing ever." It's an incredibly self-serving standard.
What do you mean by "now"? D&D has been (outside of a couple of blips) the most popular RPG ever. Being most popular for a month or a quarter, or even a year, is probably due to outside factors. Being most popular for 99.9% of the history of the hobby is not a fluke.

You're insisting that they do something that they know will not be as popular. And then pretending that this will be good for the hobby simply because it serves you.

This whole "well just because it's popular doesn't matter" line of argument for the health of the hobby is what's incredibly self serving.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't think anyone is really saying (or doing) that though. I see people saying that it is the only objective measure, but not that it is the one true way to good game design. Nor do I think WotC is only appealing to popularity. If that was the case, they would ask a lot more questions than they do.
Really? They ask an awful lot of questions in those surveys.

mamba

Legend
Ah, but how do you know rhat that is good for the game? Isn't it going to be more popular to let people keep the subclasses they already know??? Why is YOUR way best if this is what WotC decided to do??????
I did not say it was, I said this is what I would have done. I have no idea whether it would have been better or not, and neither do you. What I do know however is that it would have allowed for more flexibility and deeper changes if I had wanted them. I can still ask the players, just like WotC does now, it would simply have resulted in somewhat different changes to evaluate.

mamba

Legend
But the poster just said what they would have done without playtesting.
you have to start somewhere, I did not say I would just run with it without playtesting. I also have my doubts how accurate that actually is. Given that the level you get them at can change compared to 5e I doubt you can always do it without adjustments

That the thing they know WotC is doing is foolish ("for no good reason.") How could they possibly think that if doing the popular thing—meaning, whatever thing they try that gets more votes—is always 100% what is best for the game?
I am not aware of anyone asking whether 1DD should be compatible to the point of allowing 5e subclasses, would be interesting to know the answer to that though. I know what mine is ;)

If 60% of the players prefer it, then there is a good reason for it, if only 10% do there is not, see how that works?

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
That logic seems dubious at best to me. Particularly with the announcement of the forthcoming meta-plot.
Oh no denying metaplot also sales. That was what sustained the WoD after all. Metaplot isn’t fluff though. That’s why I mentioned Silver Munches. Well it isn’t fluff as regards the comparison I’m making.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
you have to start somewhere, I did not say I would just run with it without playtesting. I also have my doubts how accurate that actually is. Given that the level you get them at can change compared to 5e I doubt you can always do it without adjustments

I am not aware of anyone asking whether 1DD should be compatible to the point of allowing 5e subclasses, would be interesting to know the answer to that though. I know what mine is ;)

If 60% of the players prefer it, then there is a good reason for it, if only 10% do there is not, see how that works?
But you were quite comfortable saying it had no good reason without having any of that data.

You were, 100%, making an argument about what was good for the game completely irrespective of popularity. And you have done so again here. You are literally doing the thing you just said I was completely unjustified in doing--tot he point that you claimed to find it mystifying, even outright incomprehensible.

If Baseball can be changed; D&D can be changed...

Attachments

• baseball rules.jpg
    baseball rules.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 41

Remove ads