• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobolds: Life's little failures

Mesh Hong

First Post
Spore, just looked at your Ooze again and you seem to have forgotten to upgrade the creatures HPs and defences to elite levels.

I get them at:
HP 176; bloodied 88
AC 20; Fortitude 22; Reflex 21; Will 18

I am not sure how this will effect your thoughts on the amount of minions this thing will create as it is being attacked.

Also you have given the minions normal damage expressions, I think they should just be doing 5 acid damage on a hit and have a power that when missed by a melee attack they may shift 1 square.

Hope that helps.

Several things though, are the seperate peices seperately manned? As well, how do the kobolds get this kind of thing and when do they send it into battle. Who repairs the ones that lose arms or come back covered in dead people?

Yes I see it as a huge manned construct (like a mech) with the little fellas squeezed into tight spaces pulling levers and pressing buttons etc.

This is a boss creature so personally I would say it is a prototype from a particularly devious kobold trapmaker who has moved onto bigger and wilder things. I would probably stage an encounter with it in its production facility (or very large cave complex) as one of the final fights in a grand adventure.

Its a pretty dangerous creature for the level so I would probably set up a couple of combat skill challanges to use the enviroment against it, and also probably have a few tunnels the PCs could escape down for a while which would bring them into new small encounters before the Colossus caught up with them. (This would be a believable mechanic for giving the low level group its encounter powers back!)

Sporemine

First Post
Kobold Ooze
Level 6 Elite Brute
Large Natural Beast (Blind,Ooze)
XP 500
Initiative +6
Senses Perception +6, Blindsight, Tremorsense
HP 200;
Bloodied 100
AC 19; Fortitude 22, Reflex 21, Will 18
Immune Gaze; Acid
Speed 4, climb 4
Action Points 1

Melt (Standard; at-will)+7 Vs. Fortitude; 2d6+6 Acid damage and the target takes a -1 penalty to fortitude defense each time it hits (multiple hits stack, save ends)

Flowing body The Kobold Ooze ignores difficult terrain and does not provoke opportunity attacks by moving.

Split (When the Kobold ooze is hit by a weapon attack or trap; at-will)A kobold ooze spawn appears in an adjacent square or the nearest unoccupied square.

Advanced trap sense
The kobold ooze gains a +4 to all defenses against traps.

Shifty (Minor; at-will) The Kobold ooze shifts one square.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages None, Understands Draconic
Str 20 (+8) Dex 18 (+7) Wis 14 (+5) Con 18 (+7) Int 6 (+1) Cha 16(+6)
Equipment None

Alright, I think I fixed it. I changed the defences and health from standard to my own to better suit the creature. The ooze needs to be able to take some hits (and be hit easily) to trigger it's minion spawn. I think it makes more sense this way. If no it can still be changed. One other thing, if anybody could playtest it and come up with changes, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback

Kudos as always

-Sporemine

Mesh Hong

First Post
Here is an idea for Kobolds infected with a disease that helps to explain all the jibbering and constant yip yipping that is heard on expeditions into Kobold warrens. Being highly social creatures the following disease might actually be accepted as normal inside a warren and might have spread quite widely amongst the masses.

Infected Kobold Warrior Level 4 Skirmisher
Small Natural Humanoid (reptile) XP 175

Initiative +8 Senses Perception +1, darkvision
HP 52; Bloodied 26; see The Foaming Yips
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 17, Will 15
Immune disease
Speed 6

:bmelee: Bite (Standard; at-will)
Attack +9 vs. AC; 1d6+2 damage; on hit secondary attack +7 vs.
Fortitude; on hit target contracts The Yips (disease, see notes)

:bmelee: Javelin Stab (Standard; at-will) weapon
Attack +9 vs. AC; 1d8+4 damage

:ranged: Javelin Throw (Standard; at-will) weapon
Range 10/20; attack +9 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage; if kobold has moved at
least 4 squares before making this attack it deals an additional 1d6
damage

Trap Sense
Kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defences against traps

Very Shifty (Minor; at-will)
Kobold shifts 2 squares

The Foaming Yips (Immediate Reaction) when bloodied
While bloodied Kobold enters a wild state as its disease accelerates making
its mouth foam madly. When Kobold has combat advantage against a
target it deals an additional 1d6 damage with its bite attack and the
secondary attack vs. Fortitude gains a +2 bonus to hit

Alignment Evil Languages common, draconic
Skills Acrobatics +11, Dungeoneering +6, Stealth +11
Str 14 (+4) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 8 (+1)
Con 12 (+3) Int 12 (+3) Cha 13 (+3)
Equipment 3x Javelin, light armour

The Yips (level 4 disease)
At the start of each day the infected creature either makes an Endurance check or an ally who has been treating them may make a heal check against the following targets:

Worsen: 16 or less
Maintain: 17 to 20
Improve: 21 or more

(sorry about the formatting but this forum doesn't like tabs or indentation:erm:)

Cured.

Infected shows no symptoms, until bloodied when they show signs
of a slight regression.

When bloodied infected takes a -1 penalty to Will defence.

Initial
Infected has a slight temperature but otherwise exhibits no
symptoms until they become bloodied when they become reckless
and over excited.

When bloodied infected takes a -1 penalty to Will defence and to
all attack rolls except basic attacks.

+1
Infected runs a definite temperature and is in a constant state of
curious excitement which gets more pronounced when bloodied.

Infected gains a +1 bonus to speed but takes a -1 penalty to Will
defence and all attack rolls except from basic attacks. When
bloodied the penalty to Will defence increases from -1 to -2.

+2
Infected has difficulty staying still and finds it difficult to
concentrate. They also tend to talk a lot, usually in excited and
practically incoherent bursts. When bloodied the infected starts to
foam at the mouth and have an overpowering need to bite their
enemies.

Infected gains a +1 bonus to speed but takes a -2 penalty to Will
defence and all attack rolls except from basic attacks. When
bloodied they gain the following basic attack which they must use
instead of any other attack:

:bmelee: Bite (at will; standard)
Attack STR or DEX + ½ level +2 vs. AC; 1d6+STR damage; on hit
secondary attack STR or CON + ½ level +2 vs. Fortitude; on hit
target contracts The Yips disease.

The above is for a minor case of the Yips, it is more than likely that there are several different strains of the disease with varied and more lethal symptoms and effects.

Neubert

First Post
Alright, with a slight delay, here is the new Kobold Assassin.

Kobold Assassin Level 6 Lurker
Small Natural Humanoid (reptile) XP 250

Initiative +12 Senses Perception +11, darkvision
HP 56; Bloodied 28
AC 20; Fortitude 17, Reflex 20, Will 16
Resist 5 poison
Speed 7

:bmelee: Poisoned Dagger (Standard; at-will) ♦ weapon, poison
Attack +11 vs. AC; 1d10+4 poison damage

Study Weakness (Standard; at-will)
The Kobold Assasin designates a target that it studies for weaknesses. Each time this power is used, an additional basic attack is granted to the Kobold Assassin, the next time it makes an attack against the target. Only 2 additional attacks can be gained on a target. If a new target is chosen, the previous benefit is lost. This power requires line of sight to the target.

:melee: Run-Hit-Run (Standard; at-will)
The Kobold Assassin moves up to its speed and makes a melee basic attack at any point during that movement. The Kobold Assassin doesn't provoke opportunity attacks from the target during this movement. The Kobold Assassin can gain the benefit from "Study Weakness" when using this power.

Hide in the Shadows (Move; recharge :4::5::6:)
If the Kobold Assassin moves at least 4 squares, it gains concealment until it makes an attack.

Shifty (Minor; at-will)
The Kobold Assassin shifts 1 square as a minor action.

Trap Sense
The Kobold Assassin gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps.

Alignment Evil Languages common, draconic
Skills Stealth +13
Str: 14 (+5) Dex: 20 (+8) Wis: 16 (+6)
Con: 14 (+5) Int: 14 (+5) Cha: 16 (+6)
Equipment 2 daggers, leather armor

Changes:
I lowered the Will defense by 2 and upped the speed with 1.
Changed "Study Weakness" to give several attacks instead of higher damage.
Added another dagger to the equipment list.

I considered removing the stacking ability of "Study Weakness" (so the Assassin would only gain a single extra attack), but I didn't like how this would make it rather predictable (attack, hide for one round, attack, etc). This way the GM can choose to have the Assassin attack after 0, 1 or 2 rounds of hiding.
(Also, the damage will be much more average now that there are several attack rolls instead of a single attack that may crit for full damage!)

Sporemine

First Post
Alright, the thread was dead there for a little bit, but we're back.

Good job on the assasin Neubert

I will be updating the main post soon with the new additions

Kudos

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post
Here's a new one:

Kobold Sniper Level 4 Elite Lurker
Small XP 350 Initiative +8 Senses Perception +9 HP 88; Bloodied 44 AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 16, Will 16 Saving Throws +2 Speed 6 Action Points 1

Greatbow (Standard; at-will)
Range 50, +9 Vs. AC, 1d10+4 damage.

BOOM HEADSHOT (Standard; can only be used after target is studied for a full round)
Range 50, +12 Vs. AC, 3d10+4 damage.

Study (Full Round; at-will)
The kobold sniper studies it's target, allowing it to use BOOM HEADSHOT the next round.

Agility
The kobold sniper gains a +3 to ac and a +2 to all other defences when studying a target.Alignment

Unaligned Languages Draconic, Common Skills Acrobatics +11, Stealth +11 Str 15 (+4) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 15 (+4)Con 14 (+4) Int 18 (+6) Cha 16 (+5) Equipment Small Greatbow

I need this, i'm not too good at this so observations and feedback are appreciated.

Kudos as always

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post
I've updated the kobold sniper, making minor stat tweaks for balancing and fixing grammar errors and typos.

Kobold Sniper
Level 4 Elite Lurker
Small Natural Humanoid XP 350
Initiative +8
Senses Perception +9
HP 88;
Bloodied 44 AC 18;
Fortitude 16,
Reflex 16,
Will 16
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1

R Greatbow (Standard; at-will)
Ranged 50, +9 Vs. AC, 1d10+4 damage.

r Boom, Headshot (Standard; can only be used after the kobold sniper uses deep breath)
Ranged 50, +12 Vs. AC, 3d10+4 damage, Ignores cover.

Deep Breath (Full Round; at-will)
The kobold sniper lines up it's shot and takes a deep breath, allowing it to use Boom, Headshot the next round.

Agility
The kobold sniper gains a +2 to all defences when using it's deep breath ability.

Slight of Hand
The Kobold sniper can reload it's greatbow as a free action.

Alignment Unaligned

Languages Draconic, Common
Skills Acrobatics +11, Stealth +11 Str 15 (+4) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 15 (+4) Con 14 (+4) Int 18 (+6) Cha 16 (+5)Equipment Greatbow (Medium sized)

Feedback is appreciated as always

Kudos

-Sporemine

ComputerSherpa

First Post
Okay, here's an idea. Imagine a Kobold that teamed up with some PCs and learned a few of their moves. Eventually they parted company, but the Kobold never forgot his adventure and started practicing the moves he saw the adventurers make. Once he had the moves down, he started teaching them to other kobolds.

Thwok
Level 3 Kobold Adventurer Trainer

Thwok has the stats of a Kobold Skirmisher, with a +1 bonus to Intelligence and Strength. He is trained in Athletics and Dungeoneering and can use the Ranger's Twin Strike, the Warlord's Furious Smash, the Rogue's Sly Flourish, and the Fighter's Cleave abilities as Daily attacks.

Thwok is training the kobolds of his village how to be adventurers and periodically leads stealth raids on the nearby town of Winterhaven. Casualty rates are high, but a number of his pupils have already earned their first level and are preparing to move on to their first big dungeon.

(This idea is based on Splug the Goblin, who did exactly this in our Keep on the Shadowfell campaign, and on the Goblins comic.)

Last edited:

Sporemine

First Post
Here's Thwok

Thwok
Level 3 Elite Skirmisher
Medium Natural Humanoid
XP 300
Initiative +5
Senses Perception +3
HP 92; Bloodied 46
AC 17; Fortitude 15, Reflex 15, Will 15
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1

M Spear (Standard; at-will) +8 Vs. AC, 1d10+3 damage

a Rallying yell (Immediate Interrupt, when thwok is hit with an attack; encounter, recharges when bloodied)Burst 10, All allies in burst immediately make a basic attack.

Combat Advantage Thwok deals an extra 1d6 damage on melee and ranged attacks against any target he has combat advantage against.

Mob attack Thwok gains a +1 to attack rolls per kobold ally ajacent to the target.Shifty (Minor; at-will)Thwok shifts one square.

Trap Sense Thwok gains a +2 to all defenses against traps.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Athletics +9, Dungeoneering +8, Stealth +9
Str 16 (+4)Dex 14 (+3)Wis 14 (+3)Con 14 (+3)Int 16 (+4)Cha 14 (+3)
Equipment Hide armor, Spear

I was unable to add one (let alone all) of the powers suggested. Instead he has rallying yell.

Here's my reasoning:

Twin strike: He only uses one weapon
Sly flourish: His charisma fails
Furious Smash: His charisma fails (this was reskinned to become rallying yell)
Cleave: His strength needs to be higher (If we drop something else, this could work)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads