• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
There are ten mechanical benefits to backgrounds right now. But nearly zero connect to the combat pillar so most people seem to ignore them.

They don't even need to have combat utility. Like, if an Outlaw was stated to get advantage on Charisma checks made to interact with other criminal and shady types, there's no quibbling about what it does- the only question is, will it matter?

One grants an obvious benefit that is not as easily subject to interpretation. If you have more hit points, you have more hit points.

The other says "it's possible, based on this ability, for it to matter a lot. But because there's no stated mechanical benefit, like advantage on Charisma checks when dealing with nobles or peasants, it's up to the DM's interpretation, and it might be meaningless."
but BOTH are mechanical benfits...one just needs more work with you and your DM

James Gasik

Supporter
but BOTH are mechanical benfits...one just needs more work with you and your DM
Am I using the wrong term? I think "mechanical benefits" as something that has a clear impact on the rules of the game. Like, for example, the ability to scrounge for food if circumstances allow for it, as opposed to just magically creating food and drink with a spell.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Vs. 18 spent on the entire equipment chapter? But I digress.
Well, what equipment does is mostly solidly defined, so...
The beautiful part here is, so what if Backgrounds grant Feats? The DM can still make their rulings and say "no Feats 4 U". Just as they can allow or disallow them now.
Well, you've got it backwards. Feats are optional. The DM chooses to allow them.
Power creep only exists if the players allow it to.
LOL. What? The players don't design the game. The designers do. Power creep is in the hands of the designers. In the nearly 40 years I've played D&D I have yet to meet a single player to looks at a +1 vs a +2 and picks the +1. Players want more power.
What's the rebuttal to that?
To what? You haven't made an argument to rebut.
Players crying about their "expectations"? Can't see how that's any different from wanting their choice of Background to matter. More work on the part of the DM to figure out what to allow or exclude? We already have that all over the place in the system.
Well, yeah. That's how the game works. The players make their characters and the DM runs the game.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Am I using the wrong term? I think "mechanical benefits" as something that has a clear impact on the rules of the game. Like, for example, the ability to scrounge for food if circumstances allow for it, as opposed to just magically creating food and drink with a spell.
I'd say yes. Mechanics are generally the things set in specific numbers, +1 to attack is mechanics. You can scrounge food if circumstances allow is something up to the DM to interpret, so not mechanics. That's why most people call the background features "ribbon abilities". They're ribbons added to the present...for decoration...but aren't much use.

James Gasik

Supporter
Well, what equipment does is mostly solidly defined, so...

Well, you've got it backwards. Feats are optional. The DM chooses to allow them.

LOL. What? The players don't design the game. The designers do. Power creep is in the hands of the designers. In the nearly 40 years I've played D&D I have yet to meet a single player to looks at a +1 vs a +2 and picks the +1. Players want more power.

To what? You haven't made an argument to rebut.

Well, yeah. That's how the game works. The players make their characters and the DM runs the game.
I include the DM and the people who run the characters as "players" as they are all playing a game, just assuming different roles.

What difference does "optional" mean? You can ignore core elements of the game if you choose, can't you?

I don't understand the difference between the two.

If I have a feature that says: You can forage for food for yourself and up to 10 other people.
and you have one that says: You can magically create food for yourself and up to 10 other people

those are 99% of the time the same thing. Just different fluff. if A DM puts us in a dead magic zone and yours doesn't work but mine does, or in a weird no food area where yours works but mine doesn't, that is all DM faint, and I would not expect either to be common

James Gasik

Supporter
I'd say yes. Mechanics are generally the things set in specific numbers, +1 to attack is mechanics. You can scrounge food if circumstances allow is something up to the DM to interpret, so not mechanics. That's why most people call the background features "ribbon abilities". They're ribbons added to the present...for decoration...but aren't much use.
Maybe they weren't meant to be ribbons? Or maybe the current design team isn't happy with ribbon abilities?

i would think "I magically create food" and "I scrounge for food" are BOTH ribbon abilities but both interact with mechanics

James Gasik

Supporter
I don't understand the difference between the two.

If I have a feature that says: You can forage for food for yourself and up to 10 other people.
and you have one that says: You can magically create food for yourself and up to 10 other people

those are 99% of the time the same thing. Just different fluff. if A DM puts us in a dead magic zone and yours doesn't work but mine does, or in a weird no food area where yours works but mine doesn't, that is all DM faint, and I would not expect either to be common
I've noticed a bias towards allowing magic to work when mundane approaches do not over the years. But obviously that doesn't apply to every DM or playgroup.

Remove ads