D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The latest UA (Heroes of Krynn, rev) adds free feats at levels 1 and 4. Is this something specific for the high-action world of Dragonlance, or is this the direction the game is heading for the future, and soon everyone will have free feats?

Here are some arguments each way:

Setting-specific:
  • There's precedent for setting-specific gimmes in Theros.
  • It helps make Dragonlance play distinct (and more appealing)
  • Feats are optional; no way they're going to change that.
  • If it went mainstream, then that would reduce the number of (variant-)humans people played. That's a bad thing.

It's the future, and will be presented in the revised PHB (2024):
  • It's a trend: first Theros, now here.
  • More power, baby.
  • Most people want to play with feats; this just normalizes existing practice.
  • If it went mainstream, then that would reduce the number of (variant-)humans people played. That's a good thing.

What do you think?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The latest UA (Heroes of Krynn, rev) adds free feats at levels 1 and 4. Is this something specific for the high-action world of Dragonlance, or is this the direction the game is heading for the future, and soon everyone will have free feats?

Here are some arguments each way:

Setting-specific:
  • There's precedent for setting-specific gimmes in Theros.
  • It helps make Dragonlance play distinct (and more appealing)
  • Feats are optional; no way they're going to change that.
  • If it went mainstream, then that would reduce the number of (variant-)humans people played. That's a bad thing.

It's the future, and will be presented in the revised PHB (2024):
  • It's a trend: first Theros, now here.
  • More power, baby.
  • Most people want to play with feats; this just normalizes existing practice.
  • If it went mainstream, then that would reduce the number of (variant-)humans people played. That's a good thing.

What do you think?
In the recent interview that Crawford tried to pass off as a Sage Advice he told us that background feats are something that they wanted to do going forward.

delericho

Legend
I expect they're probably here to stay.

I really hope that's not the case, at least at 1st level - IMO the fewer choices a player needs to make to create a starting character, the better. (Even beyond 1st level, I'd prefer players to be able to ignore feats if they want. But my objection is certainly less strong here.)

I expect they're probably here to stay.

I really hope that's not the case, at least at 1st level - IMO the fewer choices a player needs to make to create a starting character, the better. (Even beyond 1st level, I'd prefer players to be able to ignore feats if they want. But my objection is certainly less strong here.)
i get what you mean, but if they are baked into the backgrounds isn't that still just 1 choice 'what background do I want'?

OB1

Jedi Master
It is time for the days of Feats Optional to end.
I agree! Would love to see that implemented in one of the following ways in the revised/expanded PHB.

1. Remove the ASI option, players must choose a feat when they previously would have gotten and ABI (possible exception for the bonus ASIs for Fighters and Rogues)
2. Change ASI to be a +1 to any ability score + 1 feat

Weiley31

Legend
I want it from now on. Continue it on. Heck, pull a 3.0/3.5 and allow the free feat to be awarded every 4 levels. I don't think granting players 5 feats, especially if they decide to stick to ASIs all the way, is gonna butcher anything OR WoTC's precious Bounded Accuracy.
The new souped-up Backgrounds and Free Feat thing are my second favorite thing from this UA.

Remove ads