Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
In the common room sits a big cat-like humanoid with marking not unlike a tiger. His spike covered breastplate is of strange design, but marks him as a warrior of some sort as does the Halberd leaning next to him. His tail swishes behind him in agitation and his brow is furrowed as he stares at a familiar looking note on grey paper in his hands.
Jagr has been staying at The Felled Ogre since he came to Bard's Gate. Durst has been a great host, and the meals have been great, for human-cooked food. Aujira and its exotic foodstuffs feels very far away. The city's Grocers Plaza has few options for traditional catfolk dishes. Jagr ate once at The Paasha's Pillow, but it didn't satisfy his palate.

The Ogre seems to be in good spirits this night. Bards entertain the gathered assortment of peoples. Jagr notes that several rakastas eye him with looks that humans would call disgust. He knows the looks are more territorial than anything else. "Stay away from my mate." This is what a drunk rakasta said to Jagr two nights ago, as the catfolk explored the Market District.

A commotion brings Jagr out of his reverie. Into the inn comes a motley group of peoples. At first, he isn't sure if they are all together or not. The firs two are an odd pair -- an elf and something, else. It has horns that curl up like an Ibixian's but there is something very otherworldly about the man. They are joined by another elf, similar to the first. There is a big human who speaks with a thick accent.The last two are as unique as the horned man. One is a small reptilian -- a kobold most likely. Aujira doesn't have any native kobolds, but Jagr has heard them described, so he's fairly certain he's looking at one. The last is, intriguing. He immediately knows it is a kenku. They are a common sight in Aujira, although they aren't native to the islands. Instead, they come from the Eastern Lands and are also known to travel through the Lands of Fate.

The newcomers pay a large sum of coin to Durst for rooms and food, which draws the eyes of several locals. Merchants not thieves, yet their eyes glint with avarice, regardless. Durst has his man Camson pull several tables together for them, and Durst's wife brings out a wide assortment of foodstuffs. Durst plies them with an exotic liquor that Jagr recognizes -- Blue Torment -- after having a shot himself. It's a very hard liquor from the Land of Fate. Too much of it can kill a man. Jagr watched an Aujiran noble drink himself to death one night, not realizing the danger.

The kenku uses its natural abilities to draw the attention of the crowd. He tells a good story that enthralls those in the room that can understand the bird-man. One of the elves downs a large shot.The horned man pours himself more liquor, as well.

OOC: Catfolk and kenku rarely socialize. It's a predator-prey thing. Since they generally don't live in the same regions, contact is usually uncomfortable. (It is less so with kenku and other cat-like races.)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"What a great story" says Vak'tiel as he refills his glass with more blue liquor
"Hear! Hear!" Durst exclaims. He pours himself another shot of the blue liquor, filling it to the brim. He drinks it down in one gulp. "Ahhh!"

The big man seems to sworn and then grabs the table, "Gods, that's intense."

"Durst!" His wife nags. "Control yourself!"

"Away, fishwife!" The gathered crowd looks at Durst in shock. Aileen face is pained as Durst laughs and takes another shot. "Ahhh- ARRGGG!" Durst grabs at his throat and then his chest. "It burns!"

He falls unconscious on the floor.

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Hear! Hear!" Durst exclaims. He pours himself another shot of the blue liquor, filling it to the brim. He drinks it down in one gulp. "Ahhh!"

"Away, fishwife!" The gathered crowd looks at Durst in shock. Aileen face is pained as Durst laughs and takes another shot. "Ahhh- ARRGGG!" Durst grabs at his throat and then his chest. "It burns!"

"I believe I've had enough of that" Vak'tiel says as he finishes his second drink of the blue liquor. "I'll stick to the whiskey from this point on" he says, drinking straight from the bottle.

kinem

Adventurer
Durst comes back along with a tough yet svelte woman who is nearly as tall as Durst. They bring out an assortment of foods. There are fresh white bread loaves, cooked bacon and eggs, roasted beef and roasted chicken, full-grain bread loaves, and a hearty meat stew. The assortment fills the table. Aileen also brings in fresh goat milk.

He brings a large bowl of raw eggs for Sarten, if he so chooses. "Just break 'em in the stew. It's a favorite of Dongar's." Durst points over to the largest dragonborn in the room. "He also likes to put one in huge glass of Hammer Hand and drink it all down at once with some special hot sauce I procured from an Indjiran trader."

Dongar looks at Sarten with a toothy grin, which Sarten knows is meant as a challenge of honor.

Sarten replies "Another time, Durst. I may end up working tonight and should keep a clear head. Thanks for the eggs."

He takes some of the stew, and breaks open an egg to add to it. Not bad.

Later, when Durst overdoses on the blue liquor, Sarten goes over and tries to see if the man is breathing properly. "Borya, perhaps he could use your help."

ooc: heal [roll0]

Scotley

Hero
Jagr watches the newcomers with some interest. He even enjoys the Kenku's performance and thinks to himself, I would not mind having such a bird in a cage for amusement. At the arrival of the Blue Torment Jagr shakes his head, foolish, but it is not my place to interfere. When his host hits the floor that is a different matter. He has been a good host and advised him well.

Jagr rises and strides to the bar, but Sarten arrives first. The big cat stalks across the room and speaks in a surprisingly cultured and educated voice. "I know this liquor, Blue Torment, it is dangerously potent. I watched an Aujiran noble drink himself to death one night, not realizing the danger. I would help if I can. Durst has shown me hospitality." He pulls out a healer's bag and offers up some smelling salts.

OOC: Heal Check to aid another: 1D20+9 = [7]+9 = 16

"excuse me friends, I have an obligation to perform"

He head's over to the fallen nobleman only to run into the cat man already investigating the nobleman.

"What happened?"

[ooc 1d20 = 17 + 14 to give a +2 to the cat's heal check].

[if it is poison , resistance if I think it needs it, prayer if i think it needs the extra +1 to save]

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shrough will stop at the one shot, and drink the wine the rest of the night.

OOC: spot: is anyone watching them? | Spot: 1D20+2 = [18]+2 = 20
Shrough doesn't perceive that anyone in the room is paying too much attention to his or his new companions. Several fat merchants do become overly friendly after all the coin is passed to Durst for lodging and the food & drink. A rotund fellow tries to sell Cal and Vak'tiel "a nice piece of property in the Canal District," as Shrough overhears it.

When Durst falls unconscious, all eyes go to him. Shrough notes genuine concern for the big man. The man's wife covers her mouth in horror nd then runs over to Durst's side. She is soon weeping uncontrollably, as Sarten and Jagr work to help the fallen innkeeper. Camson grabs the bottle off the table and sniffs it. After nearly choking on the odor, he corks the bottle of Blue Torment takes it and places it on the bar. The barman moves to the doorway and calls out for the Market Watch.

"No one leaves," he orders. "Until we're sure what's going on here."

Remove ads