Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
At Durst's Bedside:
Borya sits by his bedside and prays.

His normally jovial mood goes solomn, as if he was remembering something very painful but taking it in stride.

slowly the prayer beads are swayed over the patient as if there was more then a simple poisoning at stake.
Borya notes that the room has another bed in an alcove away from the door. He can hear breathing and then a faint whisper. "He's a wizard." The voice is childlike. The room is dimly lit but he can see two sets of eyes looking at him, although he can't make out their features. Then, one pair of eyes sits up and pulls over a small blanket. Soon little feet of a small boy are padding across the room. He climbs up onto the big bed and looks at Borya and the at Durst.

"Are you hear to place a ward on my pa? Wrinkle says you look like a mage." He motions to the other set of eyes to come forward. Borya can see a small head shaking 'no' in the shadows of the alcove. The boy sighs and cuddle up next to his father, waiting for Borya to reply.

OOC: Is Borya casting a spell?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Lady Mar's shop:

Shrough soon find himself not at a precinct, but at an alchemist's shop. He watches the conversation between the sergeant and Lady Mar and notes the onlookers that call out to her. The half-elven woman's openness annoys Longmantle. She comes down to open the door, and the halfling named Helman, Wilie's friend, leaves while giving Shrough a knowing wink and a smile. Lady Mar ushers the trio of adventurers into hr shop, . . . . .edit . . . . . . Longmantle places the bottle and glasses in front of her.

"This is what Durst drank," the sergeant says. . . . . . .edit . . . . . ."Feverroot," she says. "I'm fairly certain. It's quite toxic on its own." She pulls a bottle of something from behind the counter, uncorks it, drinks a big gulp, and then places it on the counter. "Give Durst some of this. It will purge him of the root, although it won't cure the painful hangover he's going to have. How much did he drink?" "I'm not sure, more than they did," the sergeant replies. He motions to the adventurers. "How much did you all have?" Mar asks.

[sblock="For Shrough"]Shrough sees little that would make Lady Mar a true sage of the arcane arts. He does see several interesting looking potion bottles locked up in a cabinet behind the main counter. Some are filled with a light blue liquid while the others have a strange purple-black misty-like substance stoppered in them.[/sblock]

"I myself had only one full shot as well, but I have been drinking wine so it may have diluted the liqueur." He pulls out a vial of anti toxin, " I already gave him a vial of this, Anti-Toxin> It had an immediate positive effect." He takes a swig of the partial bottle of wine, still a couple of good swigs left, not to mention the second bottle. "Pardon me, I have no glass to enjoy the berry wine I had bought at the felled ogre.

Please tell me, what did you take a swig of Lady Ma?" His gaze wanders to just behind her and he tries to identify what is in the locked chest.

see ooc thread

At Durst's Bedside:

Borya notes that the room has another bed in an alcove away from the door. He can hear breathing and then a faint whisper. "He's a wizard." The voice is childlike. The room is dimly lit but he can see two sets of eyes looking at him, although he can't make out their features. Then, one pair of eyes sits up and pulls over a small blanket. Soon little feet of a small boy are padding across the room. He climbs up onto the big bed and looks at Borya and the at Durst.

"Are you hear to place a ward on my pa? Wrinkle says you look like a mage." He motions to the other set of eyes to come forward. Borya can see a small head shaking 'no' in the shadows of the alcove. The boy sighs and cuddle up next to his father, waiting for Borya to reply.

OOC: Is Borya casting a spell?

OOC mostly acting as a vigil, and keeping an eye on his condition. however, spells are in standby in case something wacky happens.

Borya's eyes smile as does the rest of him.

"Your papa is just resting. Nothing serious, but I'm praying for him.

"What is your name?"

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Heh, That stuff packed a wallop that felt like a giant had walloped me. I suspect, the whiskey simply diluted it like the wine did for me." Shrough smiles and chuckles.

kinem

Adventurer
"You could say I'm a treasure seeker. Just trying to earn my share of fame and fortune. I'm sure I'll find good use for it when the time comes. What about you guys?" Sarten chats with Dongar and Jagr while they all eat.

The common room of The Felled Ogre:Just then, Wilie enters through the inn's open door. He notes that not all of the heroes are present, which seems to make him glum. He walks up to Sarten and asks, "Where is Borya? I though he and the others would all be here. I brought the note I received. I thought it might give you all a clue as to why you've been brought here by this S.H. fellow, whoever he is." Wilie produces a medium-sized piece of parchment from his pocket, unfolds it, and puts it down in front of Sarten.

"Borya is looking after Durst, who fell ill when he drank some exotic beverage. The Sergeant told the others who drank it to come with him, to make sure they're all right.

I am curious as to what kind of job we're being offered. Let's take a look at this clue of yours."

Sarten reads the note, then passes it to Jagr.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Kisep appreciates that several people request another of his tales, and he turns to Aileen before starting. "Could I earn my stay for the night and something to eat and drink with my performance?"

When the kenku hears the other minstrel start a song to accompany his story, he begins. "Not very long ago, I was travelling the trade route between my native lands in the east, and the realm of the genie kings. As the night began to fall, I hurried to get myself to an inn much like this one, but in the wild outdoors with danger all around. I could hear wolves and other threats in the darkness, nearing fast, as I finally arrived at the Inn Of Broken Bottles. The innkeeper, a huge man called Ivar Bloodbeard who must've had some giant blood, greeted me warmly as he casually picked up his heavy crossbow, walked outside and shot down a massive white wolf. 'He was after you,' the innkeeper explained before dragging the dead thing inside and locking the door."

"After delivering me my meal, he set to work on the wolf, removing its pelt to fashion into a warm cloak for himself, the fangs to sell to a maker of necklaces and rings, and the meat to be fed to his pet cats Felix, Neelix and Bob. It was not until I saw his three cats that I understood his reasoning; they were large, human-sized creatures with intelligent eyes and ferocious appetites. It was very unnerving how they looked at me, with hungry gazes and big teeth. I am sure you know the typical relationship between cats and birds, so as I ate my meal, a very juicy and fattening stew, I couldn't help but wonder if I was being held captive so I could be catfeed when the wolfmeat ran out."

"Three days passed, and I watched the pile of meat diminish rapidly, but every time I brought up the subject of leaving, Ivar graciously persuaded me to stay 'just another night' before presenting me with another delicious meal. Besides, I was the only guest and not many people came to the Inn anymore. I dared not ask when the last visitor was here, or what fate happened upon him."

"That night, another visitor came knocking. Ivar came to the door with his crossbow and a bad temper from being rudely wakened from a pleasant dream, but a big grin came to his bearded face upon seeing who his newest guest was. It was a frail kenku, like myself, calling himself So High and claiming to be a mighty adventurer and liberator of all who are not free. His pockets were overflowing with coins and gems, which Ivar readily and greedily accepted in return for a bed and a meal. When the innkeeper was busy in the kitchen, So High winked at me and said that he was a wizard and a bounty hunter, and both Ivar and his cats were on his list. He confirmed my suspicions about their plan to eat me, and requested my assistance in their capture. Not being much of a fighter, I doubted my usefulness, but agreed nonetheless."

"He called out to Ivar that he had heard stories about his cats, and could he see the creatures for himself? Sure enough, Felix and Neelix came trodding into the room, walking up to So High, so close he could count the veins in their green and yellow eyes. Felix opened his mouth, showing his great fangs, and just when I was about to warn him, the great cat disappeared into the magical pouch on So High's belt. Before anyone realized what happened, the wizard had caught Neelix in the same pouch."

"With a great roar, Ivar Bloodbeard grabbed a huge twoheaded axe from behind the counter and charged towards the kenku mage. This was my cue! Grabbing my trusted whip," and Kisep unties his whip from around his waist to demonstrate, "I wrap the end around the innkeepers foot, tripping him to the ground. However, his weight pulls me down as well, sliding perilously close to Ivar and his axe. I behold, with terrible slowness, the sharp metal rushing towards my face. So close that a feather on my head is cut in twain, when Ivar disappears. The grinning face of So High replaces it, saying, 'We got them. Nice work, partner.' "

"Helping me up from the floor, he looks around. 'Quite the nasty gang, huh?' I thank him, several times, before realizing something. 'Where's the third cat? Where is Bob?' At that moment, laughter erupts from behind the counter, and a feline voice says, 'I'll not be caught that easily, bird!' A strange sound followed, and we rushed around the bar, too late to catch Bob and his magical teleportation. We never found him again, although I have since discovered that many catpeople are actually goodhearted, friendly folk. My friend So High occassionally drops me a note, usually asking my opinion on a specific cat."

Looking directly at Jagr now, Kisep produces his note from the mysteriou S.H. and motions for the catfolk to step forward. "So I assume the note you carry, my feline friend, is from So High, too? Because fear not, your actions today have proven your good heart already, to me and to all those present."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Lady Mar's shop:
"I myself had only one full shot as well, but I have been drinking wine so it may have diluted the liqueur." He pulls out a vial of anti toxin, " I already gave him a vial of this, Anti-Toxin> It had an immediate positive effect." He takes a swig of the partial bottle of wine, still a couple of good swigs left, not to mention the second bottle. "Pardon me, I have no glass to enjoy the berry wine I had bought at the felled ogre.

Please tell me, what did you take a swig of Lady Ma?" His gaze wanders to just behind her and he tries to identify what is in the locked chest.
"The antitoxin you gave him likely healed him of the worst effects of the drink. I doubt he'll need this now." She holds up the bottle. "It is a concoction of my own devising. Not a true antitoxin but it helps to purge the blood of harmful effects. There is a touch of magic to how it works."

"I had two shots of the stuff, but that was between two bottles of whiskey. Perhaps for once my heavy drinking has saved me."
"Heh, That stuff packed a wallop that felt like a giant had walloped me. I suspect, the whiskey simply diluted it like the wine did for me." Shrough smiles and chuckles.
"More likely there was something else in liquor that had an effect on him that you three are immune to. I've never known Durst to complain about flowers or weeds in the spring, but it's possible he had a severe reaction to one of the ingredients that would be benign for you or me," she looks at the sergeant. "Ask Aileen if there is anything he can't eat or drink. It would be something that makes him break out in hives or causes him severe discomfort in his belly."

She steps out from behind the counter after placing the bottle back in its place. "Let me take a look at each of you just to be sure." She starts with Vak'tiel by checking his forearms and eyes. She runs her hands over his horns looking for any blemishes on his skin. Vak'tiel feels like he's being mothered. Then she moves on to Shrough checking each of the same things but instead of horns, she runs her fingers through the elf man's hair. "Hmm, a bit greasy," she says. "I have something that will clean that right up." She sniffs at his arms and chest before moving on to Cal. She spends a great deal of time looking him over. She sniffs at him as well.

"You all should be fine. Whatever was in the drink hasn't had any effect. I would recommend a bath of each of you, however." She wrinkles up her nose. "Durst likely has an alerji to one of the ingredients. The antitoxin acted as counter-reagent."

"So, he'll be fine," the sergeant sighs.

"That is my guess," Mar replies. "Tell Aileen that I will come see him in the morning. She should have someone watch him tonight and check his body for any sign of hives or a rash." She gathers up a small herb bundle from one of the tables and takes a small vial out of small, locked cabinet siting on the back counter. "If so, she should have him drink this chamomile tea with a drop of this in it."

She hands the items to Longmantle. "I'll add this to the Market Watch's standard bill for the week."

[sblock="For Shrough"]Knowledge (arcana) check: There are many smaller cabinets placed around the room. Most of them have wood and glass doors fitted with small keyholes. The one that Mar takes the vial out of is filled with a wide assortment of such vials. Distilled herbs and minerals, most likely. The cabinet with the potion bottles in it is larger than the others. Shrough is certain he sees low-level healing potions (no higher than 3rd-level spells), as well as a few potions that enhance the body (like bull's strength or cat's grace). There are also several empty poison bottles clearly marked with skulls. The bottles with the misty liquid in them are a mystery to him.

Shrough notes a fine robe hanging on a hook near the curtained doorway. It is covered in a pattern of eyes, ears, and grinning mouths. It is bit unnerving to look at. The eyes seem to stare back at him. As well, he notes a rather large cat sitting in the far corner of the shop. It is the size of a dog and sits quietly with its eyes fixed on Lady Mar. It notes Shrough looking at him and quickly moves into the shadows. Now only its eyes are visible glowing in the candlelight. Shrough is positive the cat is a familiar.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The common room of the Felled Ogre:
"You could say I'm a treasure seeker. Just trying to earn my share of fame and fortune. I'm sure I'll find good use for it when the time comes. What about you guys?" Sarten chats with Dongar and Jagr while they all eat.
"I fancied myself a treasure seeker in my youth, but I found I had no stomach for fighting monsters," Dongar says. "Fought a web of giant spiders once. It gave me the shakes. I'm now happy making coin with my forge."

"Borya is looking after Durst, who fell ill when he drank some exotic beverage. The Sergeant told the others who drank it to come with him, to make sure they're all right.

"Durst drank something that didn't agree with him? That sounds fishy. He's got a cast-iron stomach," Wilie says. Dongar nods in agreement. Wilie asks Aileen Borya and Durst are upstairs, "in the family room." She nods and Wilie excuses himself to check on Durst and his cousin. Aileen hands him a big bowl of stew for Borya before he heads upstairs.

I am curious as to what kind of job we're being offered. Let's take a look at this clue of yours."
Sarten reads the note, then passes it to Jagr.
The note is, surprisingly, written in Draconic. The same as Sarten's own note. The quill-strokes seem different, however. Not written by the same hand. The note reads as follows:

"To Mr. Wilie, keeper of the Market Bridge in Bard's Gate,

I have a task for you of the utmost importance. In time, eight heroes will come to see you in Bard's Gate. They will not all arrive together although some of them might know each other. I cannot tell you why I've recruited them, but it should become clear once they have gathered together on the Market Bridge. A message will be delivered in a timely fashion once enough of them have gathered together.

I know there is a toll for using the bridge, so I have included 1 gold for each of them. That is a total of 8 gold plus another gold for your time regarding this matter. While it might be to your benefit to keep this information to yourself, I am not concerned with secrecy. Everything has already been set in motion and my enemies are unlikely to learn of these heroes before they are gathered. Once together, they will be a force to be reckoned with, of that I am sure.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

S.H.

p.s. Mr. Wilie, you an I have never met, so do not concern yourself with trying to put a name to my initials."

The message is written clearly and without any hesitation. Sarten can tell the writer is highly intelligent and speaks like most human mages he's dealt with in his life. Just as he is about to hand the note to Jagr, the ink on the page glows and another postscript magically appears on the page.

"Sarten, I am glad you have arrived safely. Please gather with the others on Market Bridge once more than six of you have arrived in Bard's Gate. You will receive directions that will guide you in the quest that must be completed. Please make sure Mr. Wilie is there as well. He can direct latecomers if the rest of you do not wish to wait."

OOC: BTW, I use one of the black background themes here on EN World.

Remove ads