D&D 3E/3.5 [Kulan] Crisis in Bluffside PBP Campaign Guide

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Stats for animal companion still to be added, otherwise finished

Tuck
N male kobold urban ranger 6

STR 8 (-1) (12 base – 4 racial)
DEX 18 (+4) (15 base + 2 racial + 1 level)
CON 12 (+1) (14 base – 2 racial)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 13 (+1)

Fort: 6 (5 base + 1 CON)
Ref: 9 (5 base + 4 DEX)
Will: 4 (2 base + 2 WIS)

Base attack: +6/+1
Melee attack: +1 shortsword: +7/+2 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Melee attack: dagger: +6/+1 (1d3-1, 19-20/x2)
Ranged attack: +1 light crossbow: +12/+7 (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Ranged attack: +1 hand crossbow: +12/+7 (1d3+1, 19-20/x2)

Initiative: +4
Hit dice: 6d8+6
HP: 41/41
AC: 21 (10 + 5 armor + 4 Dex + 1 natural + 1 small)
Speed: 30
Languages known: Cliffspeak, Draconic, Orc
Feats:
  • Exotic Weapon Proficiency (hand crossbow) (level 1)
  • Rapid Shot (ranger bonus feat)
  • Rapid Reload (level 3)
  • Endurance (ranger bonus feat)
  • Investigator (level 6)
  • Manyshot (ranger bonus feat)
Skills:
  • Craft (trapmaking) +7 (4 ranks, +2 kobold)
  • Gather Information +14 (9 ranks, +2 Investigator, +2 Knowledge local)
  • Hide +17 (9 ranks, +4 small)
  • Knowledge (local) +6 (5 ranks)
  • Listen +6 (4 ranks)
  • Move Silently +13 (9 ranks)
  • Profession (miner) +4 (+2 kobold)
  • Ride +8 (4 ranks)
  • Search +14 (9 ranks, +2 Investigator, +2 kobold)
  • Sense Motive +6 (4 ranks)
  • Spot +7 (5 ranks)
Racial features (kobold):
  • Dexterity +2, strength -4, constitution -2
  • small size; base speed 30 feet
  • darkvision 60 feet
  • natural armor +1
  • Bonus +2 on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), Search
  • Dazzled in light (–1 penalty on attack rolls, Search checks, and Spot checks)
  • favored class: sorcerer
Class features (urban ranger):
  • Proficient with simple and martial weapons
  • Proficient with light armor and with shields
  • Urban Ranger variant changes some skills and spells
  • 1st Favored Enemy: Rising Swords +4
  • Urban Tracking (use Gather Information to track down individuals)
  • Wild Empathy (using half class level)
  • Combat Style: Archery (Rapid Shot as bonus feat)
  • Endurance
  • Animal Companion (up to Medium size)
  • 2nd Favored Enemy: Loyalists +2
  • Improved Combat Style: Archery (Manyshot as bonus feat)
  • Spells
Spells prepared:
Level 1: (2) magic fang, detect secret doors
DC is 15 + spell level
  • Heward’s Handy Haversack
  • Ring of the Darkhidden (heirloom; Magic Item Compendium 122; invisible to darkvision)
  • +1 mithral shirt
  • +1 light crossbow
  • bolts x50
  • +1 hand crossbow
  • bolts x50
  • +1 shortsword
  • dagger x2
  • potion of Cure Light Wounds
  • caltrops x2
  • crowbar
  • lamp, common
  • lock, average
  • manacles
  • pouch, belt x3
  • rope, silk 150ft
  • waterskin
  • tanglefoot bag
  • acid (flask)
  • masterwork trapmaking tools
  • dog feed for 10 days
  • 974 gp
  • 2 sp
Appearance:
At first glance Tuck looks like any other kobold; a small, nervous reptilian dressed in simple rags, making his way through the city while sticking to the side of the streets as though afraid of the sun and open air.

A second look, however, reveals a well-tended mithral shirt beneath the rags, a fine crossbow on his back, and eyes that cunningly watch everything closely despite appearing to look frightened of the world. A large hound, easily twice the kobold’s size, follows him around with a tail that never stops wagging.

But people rarely look twice at a kobold...

Personality:
Tuck likes to take advantage of taller races’ preconceptions about kobolds’ cowardliness and dim wits by pretending to be so, too, while in fact he is cunning and daring. He enjoys helping folks, not just kobolds, particularly from ruffians and injustice.

Background:
Tuck is well known among Bluffside kobolds, although their opinion varies from awed at his ability to be treated as almost equal by the other races, to loathed for aiding non-kobolds in the fist place.

Not much is known about Tuck among those who are not kobolds, and even most kobolds are not sure about the truth anymore.

What is known is that Tuck makes his home somewhere in the city and it is a place riddled with traps that only he and the large hound called Mutt know how to navigate.

Tuck is also known as the one to talk to about rumors, locating missing persons, and spying on competitors. The kobold investigates various things for a reasonable fee, which usually involves shiny golden coins which he treats like a m rogue dragon’s treasure hoard.

Tuck calls Mutt his fierce guard dog, but it is a loving creature that treats everyone as its best friend, especially after some petting.

Nicknames/aliases:
Tuck has various monikers, most given to him by other kobolds. These are the ones he has heard of himself: Tuck Tuck, Tall Tuck, Little Tuck, Mad Tuck, Smart Tuck, Lucky Tucky, Trick Tuck, Finder Tuck, Tucker Kobold, Click Clack

Big Mutt, riding dog animal companion
Stats t.b.d.

Last edit:
25-05-2020: Substracted 1 gp 2 sp for drinks at The Bard

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not currently wanting to screw with the formatting, I'm going to just link to my original character sheet back there; I can work on it later and create an updated version, but it'll require me to become familiar with the editing controls on this site.

Relgar Aspergim, Geometer-To-Be - The Piazza
I put that link in the first post of the OOC thread to use as a placeholder until we get your PC copied over here. If you want I could do it for you, but then you wouldn't be able to edit it. It's good for now. After all, it's not like the version on the Piazza is somewhere I can't get at it. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This is the alternative to Dragonmarks for Bluffside and the lands around it. This is why Bluffsiders won't trust those that are dragonmarked because they feel those people are cheating what it cost Bluffsiders to pay to have magical marks. Note that most spellmarks are creates using painting or calligraphy.

Spellmarking [Item Creation] (Bluffside Sourcebook, p. 172)
You can inscribe spells on a person’s body that are stored until activated. Spell Marks may be inscribed over several days as the energy required is drawn from the recipient instead of from the crafter.
Prerequisites: Craft (Tattoo, Painting or Calligraphy) 8 Ranks, Spellcaster level 5th+.
Benefit: You can inscribe a magical mark on a willing host of any spell of 3rd level or lower that you know, that can be activated by touch by the person who received the mark (a move-equivalent action; need only touch the region of the body bearing the mark). Spellmarking takes 4 hours per level of spell to be inscribed and may be spread out over several days, with at least 8 hours per day except the last. The base price of a spell mark is spell level x caster level x 50gp. The recipient of the spell mark must pay an experience cost of 1/25 of the base gp cost. You must use raw materials (inks, needles, etc.) equal to one-half the base price. The cost of material components needed to cast the spell, if any, must be added to the overall cost as well.
The recipient of the spell mark takes 1d6 points of temporary Constitution damage every 4 hours of the spell marking operation (Fort DC 10+ (2 x spell level) for half). This save is made once each day. The spell mark may not be activated until all Constitution damage has been recovered. If the process of inscribing the spell mark is interrupted (i.e., the caster does not spend at least 8 hours or complete the mark that day), all effort thus far is wasted and the mark is ruined.
When the spell mark is activated, it glows faintly for the duration of the spell. When the spell expires, the design remains, but depending on the nature of the mark it may be permanent or can be washed off. (Tattoos are permanent, Calligraphy Ink washes off over a week, paint can be washed off immediately or over a few days.)
Special: A person may have up to their Constitution modifier +1 in Spell Marks on their body at a time.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Scott DeWar,

If your plan is to have Vinccenzo be born in another land beside Bluffside, there are some options. The main option is the Kingdom of Novarum, which is the Mythic Italy of the continent. He could have been born there and then traveled to Bluffside as an adult. Or his family could have originally been from there, and they moved to Bluffside for some reason.

His origins could also be closer to Bluffside. He could have been born/grown up in Ticinum or one of its old provinces that are now independent (for the most part) — the Kingdom of Várad, the Principality of Kalmonte, or the Vinovian Protectorate. That last one is watched over by Novarum.

The Kingdom of Tarminan is also an option and that land is quite close to Bluffside. It's ruler is a very old man who is a vicious despot.

Regardless, I think he'd speak the traditional language of Novarum (which is called Novarese) in addition to Cliffspeak if he grew up in Novarum. But, if he grew up in Ticinum, he'd speak Ticin instead. If he grew up in one of the provinces, he could speak one or the other. If he grew up in Tarminan, he'd speak its regional language, Tarmin.

Of course, you don't have to have him be from somewhere else. Bluffside is one of the more cosmopolitan cities of The Northwest. I wouldn't call it a melting pot, more of a mosaic of peoples. Most Bluffsiders speak Cliffspeak for day-to-day life, but Ticin is the language of the courts and scholars.

Also, is Vinccenzo going to be Neutral? I didn't see an alignment listed.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Just curious, when is the projected restart date for this campaign?
I'd like to get it going today or tomorrow. I meant to have the reboot intro up already, but there was some family stuff last night and a bit again today.

Look for something later on tonight. However, if it gets really late and I'm not quite done, I'll post it first thing tomorrow at the latest.

Remove ads