Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aftermath of the Murder
Lord Gar Ebal is dead. Murdered by a wererat of unknown origin. Somehow, he'd managed to avoid being seen by the guards and then ambush the Master Seneschal at an outdoor privvy. The scene had been a brutal one and had shook the dead man's son, Sir Ghal Ebal. You managed to track down and kill Odilos at an old farmstead, but not before he managed to wound Phar's familiar with an arrow and nearly kill Raius Bellath, a local guard assigned to your group by Lady Pendour, with a poisoned spear. While Quinn rode ahead with Raius to seek the healer and Caerth's mentor, Areon, as well as report to Lady Pendour, the rest of you stay behind to look for clues about the wererat and a possible antidote. You discover a rough map of Carnell and a scrawled note with the beastman's name on it, Odilos. The note refers to a 'bastard son' and a 'breeder' but noting else of use.

It doesn't take long for group to be reunited in Carnell outside Rosie's inn. Aeron is inside treating Raius's injuries and is relieved to get the poison vial. The guard is fading fast, but the old druid manages to discern the worst of the toxin in the vial with a quick sniff. He rushes outside, gathers a few nearby herbs, and creates a quick mushy salve to put on the soldier's wound, which slows the poison. He rushes off to his home with Caerth in tow to brew a better antidote. Sir Ghal stays with Raius. Phar and Quinn go with Caerth and Aeron while Aureus goes to sit with Lorien who is still unconscious. Could he have been poisoned and not have known it? She tries the salve on the rash that now covers his neck and chest but it does little to help.

It takes the rest of the day and all night for Aeron and Caerth to brew the antidote even with Phar's help. Quinn watches over you while you work to make sure there aren't any interruptions. As you work, you tell Aeron about Odilos and the map & note. Just past dawn, you finish and rush back to the inn. You arrive just in time to save the fallen soldier's life. By mid-morning, he is out of danger but still unconscious. Aureus tells you that Lorien still won't wake up. Sir Ghal heads back to Pendour Manor to update the lady.

"I don't know what else I can do for him," Aeron says glumly to you. "It's almost as if what is afflicting him is in his soul."

"A demon?" Rosie asks with concern.

"Whatever it is is beyond me," he sighs. "But I don't think he's in mortal danger, right now. Lady Pendour has given me permission to take him and Raius to Fort Symas."

"Gangrell brought the documents you'll need and gave them to Sir Ghal last night," Rosie notes.

"We're not going anywhere today," the man replies. "I need rest. We all do. And from what you all told me last night, I doubt Sir Ghal is going to wait to go after the wererat on Gurnard's Head until after I return from Fort Symas." He yawns. "And I have one more trick up my sleeve that might work for Lorien, but I'll need sleep and to replenish my magic." He turns to Rosie. "I'll sleep here tonight."

She nods and rushes to get a cot and blanket, which she places next to Lorien's bed. Aeron tells Caerth to go home and get some sleep and for the others to replenish their own energy and magic. Rosie clears out the patrons in the common room until the breakfast hour so you get get some rest in peace. You are woken by the smell of food being left on trays outside your doors and a low din in the common room. Soon after, a firm knock resounds on each of your doors.

"It's Gareth," a familar voice intones. "Sir Ghal is in the common room and wishes to speak with you."

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The day before was a long and eventful one and took a bit to get the kinks and knots out of his muscles, but he did so with the practiced discipline of a seasoned warrior. He dons his clothing and armor with his favored weapon clinking against his leg as he moved about. The spiked chain announced his arrival as he moved to the common room to where there was much activity to cause the rumble of voices he heard in his room.

He looks about, surveying the mood as he does so, to find Sir Ghal and heads directly toward him.

Scotley

Hero
Phar emerges from his evening's rest still looking a bit worn. He takes a deep breath to buttress himself as he steps into the room. He moves to where Sir Ghal is waiting and looks around for his companions. "Good morrow to you Sir Ghal," he says with a bow for him and a nod of greeting for Quinn.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth sleeps peacefully despite the turbulent recent events, his mind and body seemingly realizing that living in the moment is more important than worrying about the past or future -- and tonight, sleep is what the half-orc needs.

He awakes gently to the sound of Screech the owl hooting softly. The predatory bird signals the dawn and its own rest during the day, and Caerth plays with it for a moment, taking the dead mouse Screech has caught and tossing it back to the owl's grasping claws a few times. Then the druid emerges from the natural shelter beneath a grand oak tree, and sits himself down next to an even bigger tree; an ancient oak that seems to be the oldest living thing for miles. There Caerth meditates for several moments, contemplating the cycle of life and accepting nature's magical gifts for today.

Only then does he return and gets dressed, gearing up in his familiar armour and replenishing his arrows. Putting the longbow over his shoulder and using the greatspear like a walking stick, Caerth takes another look at the now sleeping Screech, and his familiar grove. A new day, another chance of never returning. Odd how one can get attached to such insubstantial things.

Shrugging, the half-orc turns away and heads back to so-called civilisation, the sun now fully up and warming Caerth up as he realizes he is feeling pretty good today!

As he arrives in the common room, the druid finds Quinn, Phar and Sir Ghal already there, and Caerth nods to each in silence, sitting himself down in one of the sturdy wooden chairs.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The day before was a long and eventful one and took a bit to get the kinks and knots out of his muscles, but he did so with the practiced discipline of a seasoned warrior. He dons his clothing and armor with his favored weapon clinking against his leg as he moved about. The spiked chain announced his arrival as he moved to the common room to where there was much activity to cause the rumble of voices he heard in his room.

He looks about, surveying the mood as he does so, to find Sir Ghal and heads directly toward him.
Ghal is easy to find. He is brooding by the fire. He looks rested but troubled. It's not surprising. The young man just lost his father. He sits at a small table with four other chairs. Aureus is already sitting with him, silently.

"You are awake," Sir Ghal says when he sees you. "Rosie insisted that I let you all sleep longer than Aeron had planned. He's upstairs attending to Raius and your friend. Young Bellath is awake now, although he's still weak. You friend is still unconscious, I'm afraid. Aeron is trying a powerful spell on him. I hope it helps."

Phar emerges from his evening's rest still looking a bit worn. He takes a deep breath to buttress himself as he steps into the room. He moves to where Sir Ghal is waiting and looks around for his companions. "Good morrow to you Sir Ghal," he says with a bow for him and a nod of greeting for Quinn.
Quinn nods back with a weary look and bloodshot eyes
"And morrow to you, although you'll excuse me if I'm not in a 'good' mood," the young knight sighs. "Please, have a seat. Lady Aureus and I are enjoying some of Rosie's flatcakes and sausages." Ghal downs a mug of something pungent before spearing a sausage with a fork. "We're going to need our energy for the trip to Gurnard's Head."

"You assume they will go with you there first before Fort Symas," Aeron says as he steps off the last step from upstairs. "Master Lorien is awake."

"The North Gods be praised," a patron says happily with a raised mug.

"But, he is still weak," the elder druid adds. "He's in no shape to be heading to that rock. I'll still have to take him to Fort Symas."

"I am glad he is better," Sir Ghal replies. "There's been too much death already. And, no, I don't assume that they will come with me and my soldiers ahead of traveling with their friend, but it would be helpful."

Caerth sleeps peacefully despite the turbulent recent events, his mind and body seemingly realizing that living in the moment is more important than worrying about the past or future -- and tonight, sleep is what the half-orc needs.

He awakes gently to the sound of Screech the owl hooting softly. The predatory bird signals the dawn and its own rest during the day, and Caerth plays with it for a moment, taking the dead mouse Screech has caught and tossing it back to the owl's grasping claws a few times. Then the druid emerges from the natural shelter beneath a grand oak tree, and sits himself down next to an even bigger tree; an ancient oak that seems to be the oldest living thing for miles. There Caerth meditates for several moments, contemplating the cycle of life and accepting nature's magical gifts for today.

Only then does he return and gets dressed, gearing up in his familiar armour and replenishing his arrows. Putting the longbow over his shoulder and using the greatspear like a walking stick, Caerth takes another look at the now sleeping Screech, and his familiar grove. A new day, another chance of never returning. Odd how one can get attached to such insubstantial things.

Shrugging, the half-orc turns away and heads back to so-called civilisation, the sun now fully up and warming Caerth up as he realizes he is feeling pretty good today!

As he arrives in the common room, the druid finds Quinn, Phar and Sir Ghal already there, and Caerth nods to each in silence, sitting himself down in one of the sturdy wooden chairs.
Quinn nods to Caerth as he had Phar and returns to give Sir Ghal his attention.
Caerth arrives to find his mentor standing by the stair well and the others gathered around a small table by the fire.

"Ah, Caerth, good that you are here. Now we can get started," Sir Ghal stands. "I have been ordered by Lady Pendour to take a handful of guards with me to Gurnard's Head and place the wererat Hornauer in custody. Whether or not he is responsible for the death of my father or not, we cannot let lycanthropes run around loose. If his curse spreads beyond that rock, it could be end of Carnell. If he comes quietly, he will have to answer questions about what he might know about the other wererat and these cultists he mentioned, and if he is innocent of any evil deeds, he will be taken to the edge of the Standlands and set free, as long as he promises to never enter these lands again. Magic will ensure his cooperation."

"If faced with death, he'll likely surrender," Aeron notes. "Wererats aren't know for their bravery. Yes, they're often fanatics, but from what Caerth and his allies have told me, I don't think he's likely to resist, much."

"That's why I prefer if you four came with us," Ghal motions to each of you. "He knows you and might be more inclined to surrender if given the chance by you. Regardless, he's either coming with us as a prisoner or as a corpse. The lady was very clear on the matter." He pauses to eat half a flat cake. "So, can I count on you? I've been ordered to leave immediately and I cannot take more guards with me, otherwise the manor and town will be left unprotected."

You note that Sir Ghal's mannerisms have shifted to be more like his father's, although there isn't the annoyance and distrust that Lord Ebal had once projected toward you all. Just an added level of responsibility.

"Let them at least talk to Lorien first, Sir Ghal," Aeron protests.

"Of course," the knight nods. "Whatever you decided, let me know within the hour. I will not force you." The knight finishes his meal, stands, and then bows to them before heading for the door. "I will be at the beachhead awaiting your answer."

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth feels.. odd.. at being greeted by name by Sir Ghal. Still unused to social interactions except those with his mentor and, recently, with his companions, the half-orc casts his eyes down, until he realizes he does so. He then looks at the knight and nods firmly.

When the young knight talks about capturing the wererat Hornauer, Caerth becomes slightly uncomfortable. He waits until both Aeron and Sir Ghal have finished talking, then clears his throat. After a look at his mentor, who nods assuringly, the young druid says, "We promised the wererat we'd leave him alone. He looks after his rats. He's a lycanthrope, but he seems innocent."

Realizing the others may not see things quite the same, Caerth continues quickly, "We should talk with him in his lair instead of showing agression by capturing him. At least, we should try talking first."

Scotley

Hero
Phar listens, but does not remark until the young man has departed. We should not be hasty. The Lady has spoken and her will is going to be done in this situation whatever we may think of it. I believe you have the right of it and we should question him in his lair, but there is no mistaking the determination of these people. If we go against the Lady's wishes now, I do not think we will be welcome here much longer. I would not see another Ghal slain. So I for one will accompany him even if the mission is not entirely to my liking.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth feels.. odd.. at being greeted by name by Sir Ghal. Still unused to social interactions except those with his mentor and, recently, with his companions, the half-orc casts his eyes down, until he realizes he does so. He then looks at the knight and nods firmly.

When the young knight talks about capturing the wererat Hornauer, Caerth becomes slightly uncomfortable. He waits until both Aeron and Sir Ghal have finished talking, then clears his throat. After a look at his mentor, who nods assuringly, the young druid says, "We promised the wererat we'd leave him alone. He looks after his rats. He's a lycanthrope, but he seems innocent."

Realizing the others may not see things quite the same, Caerth continues quickly, "We should talk with him in his lair instead of showing agression by capturing him. At least, we should try talking first."
Sir Ghal stops at the door and turns to speak to Caerth. "While I am willing to let the beastman have a chance to speak first, I cannot let him alone in this regard. I know you promised him, but Lady Pendour wants him gone. If we can do it peacefully, I am okay with that but if he becomes violent, I will use silver on him." With that Sir Ghal exits the inn.

Phar listens, but does not remark until the young man has departed. We should not be hasty. The Lady has spoken and her will is going to be done in this situation whatever we may think of it. I believe you have the right of it and we should question him in his lair, but there is no mistaking the determination of these people. If we go against the Lady's wishes now, I do not think we will be welcome here much longer. I would not see another Ghal slain. So I for one will accompany him even if the mission is not entirely to my liking.
Sir Gareth looks Phar and then at Aureus and adds. "It is different than with your companion here. She is a true creature of nature, although exotic to the Strandlands. And we do have a few rakasta living in the Strandlands, although not in great numbers. But they do not carry a curse that can infect others. For the lady and for the people, its the same if a vampire was discovered nearby. Now, I realize it's not exactly the same thing, but if Sir Ghal doesn't do this deed, Lady Pendour will get someone else to do it. The truth is, she has to do it. Word has already been sent to Ironsoul to inform the Gerousia about Hornauer, and if Lady Pendour does nothing, they will take her lands away and give them to someone more willing, more brutal."

"That would be awful," Rosie says.

"Aye, Carnell rarely comes under the direct gaze of the senate but if they think Lady Pendour isn't up to the task of running Pendour manor, they will pass her lands on to an older noble family. Experience is everything to the Gerousia."

"They banish her?" Aureus asks.

"From the Freeholds entirely, no. But they are likely to relocate her to someplace where they can either keep an eye on her or forget about her."

"Some forgotten keep in the Thunder Mountains or worse," Rosie adds with a sigh.

Gareth nods and then looks at Phar. "If you can get to the wererat and make him see reason, it would benefit our lady so much. And if it turns out he's afflicted, he could be allowed to stay if he agrees to be cured. But if he is what some would call a natural lycanthrope, he will be hounded until he leaves or is killed." He looks at Caerth with some concern. "I am sorry if this fact troubles you."

"It is a hard lesson that my pupil must learn for himself, it seems" Aeron notes. "Sometimes the balance between nature and civilization comes down to a hard choice." He shakes his head. "Anyway, go speak with Lorien."

Aureus nods and leads the way up to the bard's room. The door clicks open and you find the elven bard sitting up in bed. He is still very pale except for where his skin is red and blotchy. His long hair is a tangle. He smiles when you enter.

"It seems I've been sleeping; it was a very weird experience," he says hoarsely. "What have I missed? Tell me everything?"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases