Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Justice will not be denied." states Quinn coldly as me moves over the pile of dead cultists.

The cultist in front of him dodges and ducks erraticaly causing the application of skill to the attack to be nothing more then a glancing blow, and it too was just barely made by a chance act in the chaos of battle. the damage was barely enough to have drawn blood with a lesser weapon.
OOC: LOL, it is a wonder you hit at all - and we already commented on the sharpness of cruel justice

"You will have to kill me first!" He shouts in defiance.
Maur eyes the cultist in front of him.
"Request granted. May Moradin have mercy on your soul, because your goddess will not."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Maur eyes the cultist in front of him.
"Request granted. May Moradin have mercy on your soul, because your goddess will not."
Maur's hammer strikes slam into the cultists... easily bypassing the man's defenses both mundane and magical. The ordained champion hear bones crack as the first strike slams into the man's torso. The second strike is a upper cut that cracks the man's head back. The man looks ready to fall...

OOC: 20% Miss Chance for Maurs Attacks vs the Cultist with Veil of Shadows: 1D100 = [38] = 38; 1D100 = [21] = 21

"Justice will not be denied." states Quinn coldly as me moves over the pile of dead cultists.

The cultist in front of him dodges and ducks erratically causing the application of skill to the attack to be nothing more then a glancing blow, and it too was just barely made by a chance act in the chaos of battle. the damage was barely enough to have drawn blood with a lesser weapon.
Quinn catches the man unware as he reels from Maur's attacks. Cruel Justice slashes deep into the man's shoulder. The cultist seems unsteady on his feet. It's hard to tell with the inky darkness surrounding the man. Quinn can't see his face but he can see blood dripping on the floor of the corridor below the man's feet.

OOC: End of Round 12

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth barks at the closest bear, ordering it to keep Hirasean low. The animal pounces on the cultists' champion, attempting to hold him there. Meanwhile the other bear keeps harassing the other cultists.

The half-orc then turns towards the fleeing bard and, holding out Kang, instinctively reaches out with the magical dagger's magic.

"Stay!" he intones, and the word seems to have power ingrained in it.

OOC: Bear 1 attempts a grapple on Hirasean.
Step 1: Attack of Opportunity for Hisarean against the bear, with -4 because of prone. If that misses or does not deal damage, continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Melee touch attack to start the grapple: 1D20+8+2 = [9]+8+2 = 19 (I added the +2 later)
Step 3: (free action) It's an opposed grapple check! Grapple check bear: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22 (Does that get the +2 from Maur, too?)
So Hirasean needs to beat 22 (in case of tie, he must have a better grapple modifier than +8 ) in order to not be grappled.
In addition, a succesful grapple means Hirasean takes damage: 1D4+6 = [4]+6 = 10

(If you follow the link to my rolls, you'll see rolled a full attack, but I think that's wrong. I took the first attack and damage roll.)

Bear 2 attacks the cultist now next to him:
1D20+10 = [9]+10 = 19
1D4+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+10 = [14]+10 = 24
1D4+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+13 = [2]+13 = 15
1D4+5 = [4]+5 = 9

Caerth casts Hold Person from Kang at the bard; range 100 ft + 10/level; Will save DC 12.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth barks at the closest bear, ordering it to keep Hirasean low. The animal pounces on the cultists' champion, attempting to hold him there. Meanwhile the other bear keeps harassing the other cultists.

OOC: Bear 1 attempts a grapple on Hirasean.
Step 1: Attack of Opportunity for Hisarean against the bear, with -4 because of prone. If that misses or does not deal damage, continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Melee touch attack to start the grapple: 1D20+8+2 = [9]+8+2 = 19 (I added the +2 later)
Step 3: (free action) It's an opposed grapple check! Grapple check bear: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22 (Does that get the +2 from Maur, too?)
So Hirasean needs to beat 22 (in case of tie, he must have a better grapple modifier than +8 ) in order to not be grappled.
In addition, a successful grapple means Hirasean takes damage: 1D4+6 = [4]+6 = 10

(If you follow the link to my rolls, you'll see rolled a full attack, but I think that's wrong. I took the first attack and damage roll.)
Hirasean tries to keep the bear from grabbing a hold of him, but his position on the ground puts him at a disadvantage as he tries to slam his gauntlet on the bear's snout. The bear slams into him and knocks the man's head back. The bear growls and the Champion of Malotoch does what he can to keep the bear's teeth away from his face.

OOC: Hirasean - AoO with Gauntlet: 1D20+10-4 = [6]+10-4 = 12
1D3+3 = [2]+3 = 5
(miss)
Hirasean - Grapple check: 1D20+10 = [8]+10 = 18 (lost)

I'm not sure if the +2 for Recitation counts for the grapple, but I'm going to assume it does count. (It makes sense.) So, the bear's grapple check is 24. (It didn't matter since I rolled terrible for Hirasean.) However, the bear doesn't do claw damage, it does unarmed strike damage based on its size plus its strength modifier, so 1d3+6 instead of 1d4+6. since you rolled for max. damage, I'm going to assume the bear did 9 points of damage instead of 10. (And, I think the damage is considered nonlethal damage.)

Note that in any following rounds (assuming Hirasean doesn't escape the bear's hold), the bear can either make an natural attack (with a -4 penalty to hit) against Hirasean to do lethal damage (1d4+6) or make an opposed grapple check to deal nonlethal damage (1d3+6), and it gets one attempt (based on its +2 BAB) to do so without any penalty to the grapple check.

Neither the bear nor Hirasean threaten any squares around them while grappling. Neither of them has their Dexterity bonus vs. opponents not involved in grappling.

JustinCase said:
The bear's instincts and nose defeat the magic swirling around the cultist. Its claws slash into the man and he goes down quickly and painfully. The bear stands triumphantly over the man as the magic dissipates. Maur can see the fallen cultist is bloody mess and quite dead.

OOC: 20% Miss Chance: 1D100 = [98] = 98; 1D100 = [22] = 22

JustinCase said:
The half-orc then turns towards the fleeing bard and, holding out Kang, instinctively reaches out with the magical dagger's magic.

"Stay!" he intones, and the word seems to have power ingrained in it.

OOC: Caerth casts Hold Person from Kang at the bard; range 100 ft + 10/level; Will save DC 12.
Caerth moves out of the western corridor into the corner where it meets the southern corridor. He can see the bard at the edge of his darkvision, as well as the other cultist who fled 20 feet away from him. He ignores the cultist standing next to him as the man tries to hit Caerth with his mace. It is a feeble attempt. While these cultists are mildly dangerous with numbers, they are pitiful foes one on one.

Caerth brings Kang to bear and whispers the Orcish command word on the adamantine stiletto's hilt. The magic fails to grasp the bard's mind. Her mind is strong than Kang's magic.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wieland does what Timmins suggests and stays by his cousin's side. The woman remains motionless for a few a few seconds more. Meanwhile, Brutus rushes into the brazier room and finds and picks up his axe.

The cultist facing off against Timmins carefully tries to cast a spell on the old fighter. As he grabs hold of his holy symbol of Malotoch, the chain around his neck snaps and he drops the symbol of his goddess on the floor of the corridor. Timmins lets out a belly laugh that echoes through the corridor.

The two cultists facing off against Angus use the same tactic against the centaur. The three cultists obviously had a plan once they came through the double doors. It is a poor tactic and Angus is soon laughing at them too.

Aureus snaps out of her stunned state but her sensitive ears are still ringing. She picks up her bow and fires a shot down towards the cultist who dropped his holy symbol. Her shot avoids Timmins and slams into the man's chest. Timmins follows up her shot with two quick slashes from his longsword. The first attack misses but the second nearly takes the cultist's head off. The blade sinks deep into the man's upper chest and slices off the shaft of Aureus's arrow.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hirasean is angry. This is not the death he was promised. He uses all his strength to wrestle with the animal and is glad he has both his hands free. He knows he only has moments before the dwarf will be on him. But, that would be a good death. He should have stood and fought to the death. Maybe the dwarven champion will let him die on his feet. He tries to push away from the bear but his maneuver is a poor one.

"Perhaps Malotoch is the wrong goddess," he mumbles to himself.

OOC: Hirasean - Grapple check: 1D20+10 = [4]+10 = 14 | The rolls are not with me today. :rolleyes:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: During the chaos of battle, Angus sees something; the DM has graciously allowed me an immediate action to convey this.

Angus spots a moving figure, barely perceptible, in the glowing red light that is spilling into the hallway. He decides to warn everyone.

Angus yells, "Thaer's a'faegure, royt thaere, a'moovin' around in tha layet. A'barely sore it, but et's thaere, almost aenvesable! Beware!"

Angus points with his blade to the spot where he saw the figure.

There's a figure, right there, moving around in the light. I barely saw it, but it's there, almost invisible! Beware!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: During the chaos of battle, Angus sees something; the DM has graciously allowed me an immediate action to convey this.

Angus spots a moving figure, barely perceptible, in the glowing red light that is spilling into the hallway. He decides to warn everyone.

Angus yells, "Thaer's a'faegure, royt thaere, a'moovin' around in tha layet. A'barely sore it, but et's thaere, almost aenvesable! Beware!"

Angus points with his blade to the spot where he saw the figure.

There's a figure, right there, moving around in the light. I barely saw it, but it's there, almost invisible! Beware!
Once Aureus's ears stop ringing, she manages to hear the centaur shouting out... something. There is a sense of dread to his tone but Aureus cannot understand what he is saying. She turns to Wieland. "Did you understand any of that?"

"Understand... what?" He asks as he hovers near Meridith. "I didn't hear anything."

The stunned woman holds hers hands to her ears but is her eyes are on Aureus. She heard but her mind is still reeling.

Aureus looks back towards Timmins and then down the southern corridor towards Quinn and Maur. "Something has happened," she yells out to Maur and Quinn. "Did you hear the centaur shouting?"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth heard the centaur clearly, but he has no idea what Angus just shouted.

"What?" he yells back, gripping his dagger more tightly, ready for anything but keeping his eyes on the fleeing bard.

Remove ads