Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]


log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Once he knows we know by confronting him, he has nothing but information to barter for his freedom. If we agree up front he will be thrown out of Bluffside, but free, I'm sure we can work something out."
"Agreed. If Mr. Aceron can tell us something about Waldo's plans or these damnable thieves & assassins, then banishment could be the best choice for his punishment," Custodio says. "Of course, it will depend on the level of his guilt." The Vanquisher cleric pauses. "There is also the issue of his family. While the Acerons aren't a major merchant or noble family, they do have some influence in Old City. If he is banished, Lord Aceron might object. I don't know very much about their family, so I'm not sure how angry Lord Aceron might become if Nathaniel is ostracized."

"I wouldn't worry about that too much," Carter suggests. "It's more important to get to the truth and stop the renegade's plans." The halfling butler goes over to check on Lavia who is still sleeping. She seems completely exhausted and has barely stirred.

"Is she okay?" Custodio askings the man.

"She is fine. Just tired and a bit overwhelmed. The attack on Oakfirst's old manor really scared her. She's not a warrior, and she was in shock for a while. She's been unable to rest since it happened." He talks in hushed tones. "It's good to see her more serene now." He motions for one of the Lanterns to take her out of the room. "Find a place for her to continue to remain at rest."

The Lantern nods and picks up the halfling woman in a bundle of blankets and carries her out of the room and down the hall.

Neurotic said:
"I don't assume it is either under control of the sorcerer or let out of the tower. But if it wondered INTO the tower, it may NOW be under the control. Assuming it went in of course. If we can find it in the gardens and if we're allowed to negotiate with it..." Akos looks at Sylemis "...to be left in the gardens under conditions...maybe all it wants is to find a home...or return to one if it is from the First World."
Sylemis nods in assent.

Neurotic said:
"Maybe we could aid you if there is no flower to be had immediately. Lanterns can pick up master Aceron, I'm sure."
"We will go ahead to sseek the well," Sylemis says before he and Gerey leave. "If you come after uss, finding it could be easier."

Florrie returns to the room and whispers something to Falen. He nods in thanks.

"That flower is the key," Tuck says with conviction. "I'm loathe to suggest it, but we could split up to follow these different threads. Alternatively, we could go from one to the other."
"I can set the Lanterns on this Aceron person," Florrie offers. "We will take him into custody and bring him here. We can do it quickly and quietly."

"And the last time we split up -- while I was with Breva and Tim -- the Loyalists and their allies tried to ambush us," Custodio adds. "Plus, they came after Mani while you were divided."

Neurotic said:
"The magics exist that can trace whereabouts of a person. Especially if someone leaves something of theirs on the trail. You shouldn't bring anyone connected to the sorcerer into these tunnels or even let them know they exist."
Florrie nods. "We'll keep them here, for now."

Neurotic said:
"I am ready to follow the instructions the city agrees on. We can do a lot of things, but cannot be in two places at once. The Well is the most unknown quantity, potentially dangerous, but also potentially non-issue. Mister Aceron is just a human who can be apprehended and only thing is keeping him alive long enough to confess everything. The thieves guild is time sensitive issue if they know we know about them. The Dusk are a threat, but unless we know their headquarters we cannot prevent them from popping up around the city. The blossom is rare and we would need to leave the city for some time. Where would you prefer us?

Personally, I'm most intrigued by the well. And we may escort them if the tavern is on the way."
"I'd say go with Gerey and Sylemis before they leave," Carter suggests. "Take them to the edge of the thicket and then decide from there."

Neurotic said:
Akos frowns at this.
"This is not the time to let rivalries and minor intolerances get in the way of cooperation between goodly forces. If they have taken it, we must trust it was to safeguard it or attack the renegade. Unless you know something specific? I'm sure not all wizards are trustworthy, there are always power-hungry or weak men, regardless of their vocation. But starting with distrust leads into paranoia and prevents cooperation."
"While I trust Vinny," Custodio says. "I don't know how much I trust the leaders of the wizard guild. They did send some of their people into the enclave, after all. Maybe they went in to try to kill Waldo and his followers or maybe they're trying to negotiate a peace. I hope they aren't working with the renegade, but there isn't any way to know for sure without asking them."

Neurotic said:
Akos looks after the druid and looks back at Custodio, Carter and Florrie.
"Well? Where do we go next?"
"I vote for the Black Cat," Custodio replies. "Tim?"

The large fighter nods in agreement.

OOC: T.H. just messaged me through Facebook that he chooses the Black Cat.

"I think the Black Cat still holds the quickest and easiest step. I say we start there and make our next choice based on what Mr. Aceron says. But I will follow the will of the majority. "
"I agree," Vinny says.

"As I said, escort Gerey and Sylemis to the edge of the thicket and then if you feel you must divide and conquer, so be it. But be very careful. The Loyalists seem to be everywhere," Carter says.

"And there is The Dusk," Falen says. "Let's start with the Black Cat and then go to check this magical well out afterwards." Falen seems intrigued by the well.

Custodio looks at Akos. "If you want to go with Gerey and Sylemis to look for the well while we confront Mr. Aceron, I'm not going to try to stop you. But if we split up, then we better be sure on a plan."

You all head out of the room towards the back of the manor. Gerey is there wiith Sylemis and two Dark Lanterns. Gerey has put on some fine leather armor and is carrying a slim shortblade while the dragori druid simply wears his normal clothes. He holds his staff with both hands and he's added a pouch for his spell components. He is in good spirits.

Gerey leads them into the kitchen and then down some sort steps into a large pantry. The Lanterns move a short table away from the northern wall as the Warden of Stormgrove Manor pulls a single stone out of the wall and then reaches in to twist something. The wall shifts back and then slides to the east.

"So, is the way into your secret passages?" Custodio asks.

"No, this is just a quick escape tunnel. The way into the Lantern Depths is hidden elsewhere in the manor. As I said, it is not for non-Lanterns. It is much too dangerous without dozens of Lanterns guiding the way. This will get out of Stormgrove without anyone watching being able to see us leave."

Gerey leads the ways with one of the Lanterns who lights the way with a dancing lights spell. The other Lantern takes up the rear alongside Custodio. She carries a lit torch and pauses just inside the entrance to the passageway to watch as Florrie closes the secret door behind you. The passageway down is 20 feet of steps before coming to a tight corridor that runs under the grounds of the manor. Tim finds the tight corridor to be a pain. He is forced to stoop and struggle through the passageway with only a few places where he can stand and stretch. This goes on for several minutes until the group ascends a spiral staircase into a small house.

The house is obviously a Dark Lantern safehouse. The group finds itself escorted out of a back door, which leads into a narrow alleyway next to an orphanage known as Daybreak House. Gerey lets Tuck and the other Exemplars lead the way out of the alleyway past a tall tower. Eventually you reach the Green Gateway, which stands open but is guards by several Bluffside Elites. Custodio and Vinny go ahead to have the guards let you through quickly and quietly.

Morning has ended and many are now heading back to work after having a midday meal. On the other side of the gate, you find that the South Ward is bustle of activity. Merchants are hawking their wares on the streets and several eateries are doing brisk business. However, the mood is still subdued. The citizens are keeping to the main streets unless they have to go to a specific shop or their home. The people of Old City are on edge. When a food cart tips over, several young waifs jump at the noise and take shelter in a nearby shop until they are sure it is safe to come out. Others move to help the food vendor while the Elites at the gate move into investigate what happened. It turns out be nothing... just an old wheel giving out.

Gerey and Sylemis turn west towards Spindle's Apothecary, which sits near the eastern edge of the Jade Thicket. The two Lanterns go with them down the side street alongside the tangled trees and shrubs of the old thicket. Creeping vines stretch up the stones of the inner wall next to the thicket, but they are cut away near the top. The four of them quickly disappear into the greenery.

Tuck knows the way the Black Cat Tavern. You are soon at a medium-sized building with three floors. The double doors leading into the tavern stand open and the common room is quiet large, full of patrons, and several minstrels playing. The Exemplars are hardly noticed until Big Tim enters the tavern. A few eyes stray towards him, but the tavern doesn't grow silent. Some seem to know who you are and a few glasses are raised in salute. Everyone is enjoying a bounty of food and drink and the staff works hard to keep everyone happy.

A very tall and very attractive rakasta woman is making the rounds among the patrons. She is impeccable dressed and her fur is pitch black except for several white splotches on her face and neck. She wears a pristine white eyepatch embroidered with gold thread over her left eye. Silver earrings pierce her tall catlike ear and are connected by a silver chain. Her fingers are adorned with rings of various sorts and when she smiles, you can see that several of her sharp teeth are capped in adamantine.

Maiya Raviron, the owner of the Black Cat Tavern.

She manages to weave her way through the crowd to you, gracefully. She stands nearly as tall at Big Tim with her eyes being just under the big man's chin. She lets out a quick whistle and the staff clear a large table near the front of the tavern. She leads you to the table and chairs are found for everyone. She even brings out a large chair for Tim.

"You are such a pretty puppy," she coos to Mutt. She rubs his cheeks and pats the big dog on the head, unworried by the dog's size.

She waits until you are all seated. She sits on the edge of tall stool next to the table and whistles again. The minstrels switch to more serene song and the noise in the tavern hushes. A young half-elf with a songbird voice begins singing a breathtaking ballad and all eyes shift to her.

"Young Nathaniel Aceron is over there at the end of the bar," Maiya says in a low wispy voice so you can hear her clearly but no one else can. "He's a bit waterlogged, but I've been feeding him some free food to keep him from floating away."

At the end of the bar is Mr. Aceron. He is dressed in the clothes of a well-to-do aristocrat with too much coin and very little sense of style. He is obviously drunk but he isn't so besotted that he can't turn to watch the waifish half-elven woman sing. He is transfixed by her and forgets his drink and food while she sings. He does have the bearings of a warrior and there is a sword on his hip. If he's wearing any armor, it is under his clothes.

"I hope you will be diplomatic with him," Maiya insists firmly. "No fighting in my tavern. No exceptions." Her long tail twists around her body as she glances at each of you. "Now, what would you like. We have a wide variety of dishes and spirits," she says a bit louder.
 

Scotley

Hero
Cats and dogs getting along so well. When will this city stop shocking me with new wonders. Breva ponders. He is momentarily detracted by the young half-elf, but it quickly brings himself back to business. "We are not here to pick a fight. We really just need a little information. If there is violence it will not be our doing. I must say the fellow looks rather more expensively dressed than I would have expected. Has he said aught of his troubles to anyone?"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck nods at Maiya gratefully as he orders a simple weak ale and just a bit of chicken for him and Mutt.

"He's fierce," the kobold warns her of his dog companion, "But he knows how to behave indoors."

Mutt is loving the affection he receives from the tavernkeeper, and he keeps pushing his nose under her hand to keep her from stopping. His tail wags dangerously close to a few drinks on a nearby table, and as the patrons there seem too preoccupied with the singing half-elf, Tuck moves Mutt away from that table with his whole body.

"Good to finally meet you, Maiyra," he greets, welcoming the opportunity to make a new contact.
 

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
"Huh? oh, no fights. Right" Vinny is paying attention to the minstrel vocalist until the mention of food and drink.

"Uh, red wine and some stew and a chunk of bread, please"
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Cats and dogs getting along so well. When will this city stop shocking me with new wonders. Breva ponders. He is momentarily detracted by the young half-elf, but it quickly brings himself back to business. "We are not here to pick a fight. We really just need a little information. If there is violence it will not be our doing. I must say the fellow looks rather more expensively dressed than I would have expected. Has he said aught of his troubles to anyone?"
Maiya looks towards the young nobleman. "Melchior, that's my barman, told me that Mr. Aceron had been headed out of the district to the countryside where his family has a substantial estate in the pastoral lands north of the city. He told Mel something about not feeling safe in his family's manor home here in Old City. When he arrived here, he was wearing his uniform a heavy rucksack and carrying another large bag filled with clothes. I doubt he was planning to come back to Old City."

The rakasta woman motions for one her servers to come over to the table. She then crouches down next to Breva and makes it look like she is whispering in his ear, but she speaks just loud enough for all of you to hear. "He changed out of his uniform and has been trying to blend in with the crowd each night. The first night he was here he didn't leave his room, but I guess boredom got the best of him. He's been drinking to excess each night since."

"How long has he been here?" Custodio asks.

"He's been here since the first night you started looking for him and Mr. Suggitt. I believe it was the same night you caught that doppelganger. Nathaniel tried to get through the South Gate, but word had gotten out that he was considered to be idle from his position in the Gardens, and he was told to report to the barracks for disciplinary action. He came here instead."

"And no one from the Regulars came for him?"

"I don't think they know he's here. And now the city is in crisis, and they don't seem to have time for a lowly guard that has left his post. He's not the only Regular who has chosen to neglect his duties or simply desert instead of facing the renegade's Loyalists or these damn assassins that have invaded the city."

"The Dusk," Falen notes.

"Yes, but lets not spread that name around too much," Maiya insists as she stands up straight and pats Breva on the shoulder. "While we know that's what they are called, the general populace doesn't know all the details off these assassins' origins. They are infamous in the southern lands and the last thing we need is more panic."

Falen nods.

"I can set aside one of the private rooms upstairs for you and pretend to lure him up there with the promise of some discreet services he's been asking for over and over. I keep telling him that the Black Cat is not that sort of place, but he thinks his coin should be able to buy him anything he desires." She shakes her head is disgust. "What people get up to on their own time is their own business, but I cannot stand places like the Black Boudoir in the Theater Ward."

She muses for a moment. "No, I'll simply say you want to buy him a drink. I don't think he would recognize his own mother in his current state. That will get him to your table instead, but if you find him unwilling to talk, try to get him out of my tavern."

Tuck nods at Maiya gratefully as he orders a simple weak ale and just a bit of chicken for him and Mutt.

"He's fierce," the kobold warns her of his dog companion, "But he knows how to behave indoors."

Mutt is loving the affection he receives from the tavernkeeper, and he keeps pushing his nose under her hand to keep her from stopping. His tail wags dangerously close to a few drinks on a nearby table, and as the patrons there seem too preoccupied with the singing half-elf, Tuck moves Mutt away from that table with his whole body.

"Good to finally meet you, Maiyra," he greets, welcoming the opportunity to make a new contact.
"Ooh, I think he's just a big fluffy puppy," she coos at the dog again. "Aren't you? Yes, yes you are just lovely and adorable, just like your friend here." Maiya plops down her chin on the top of Tuck's head. It sounds like she's purring. She keeps petting the big dog while talking to Breva and Tuck. Then she pulls hand away quickly, makes a purring sound, then gives the big dog a big hug. She is soon laughing as Mutt knocks her down and begins licking her face. "Ooh, you're so adorable."

Mutt knocks over the drinks at the nearby table but no one complains. Everyone is looking at Maiya playfully tussling with
Mutt and is causes considerable mirth and entertainment. Mutt barks happily.

"Now, now," Maiya pouts. "No barking, please."

Mutt whines but relents. Soon Maiya is sitting next to Tuck and rubbing Mutt's chin again. The dog is happier than Tuck has seen him in months. He has taken a shine to the rakasta tavernkeeper.

The male server quickly replaces the spilled drink. He brings a basket of sweetmeats and a jug of bitter beer and enough flagons for each member of the Exemplars.

"It's good to meet you, Mr. Tuck. Gerey has told quite a bit about your exploits." She turns to each of the Exemplars. "All of your exploits. I must say I'm very impressed."

The half-elven singer begins to sing a lively tune and all eyes go back to her.

"Huh? oh, no fights. Right" Vinny is paying attention to the minstrel vocalist until the mention of food and drink.

"Uh, red wine and some stew and a chunk of bread, please"
"Right away, sir," the sever replies. He heads off to the kitchen to fill Vinny's order, as well as the rest of table's requests. While he is away, Maiya heads towards Mr. Aceron and is soon whispering in his ear. Mutt moves to follow her until the rakasta gentle insists he 'stay'. Maiya points to the your table and the young nobleman glances in your direction and raises a toast. He looks toasted.

"Hmm, I don't know how much he's going to be able to tell us," Custodio ponders. "He looks like he can't stand u..."

Before the Vanquisher cleric can finish his sentence, Nathaniel Aceron manages, somehow, to find his way from the bar to the table. A chair quickly appears for him from one of the staff. He lands on the chair with a thump and smiles at each of you.

"Th...anks for th...e dr...ink," he is barely able to get the words out. He looks on the table. He takes the mug from in front of Falen and pours himself a mug of beer.

When Vinny's order comes, the young noble takes a piece of bread off the Sectarian's plate and stuffs it into his mouth. He glugs down the bread with his beer and near sputters it out onto the table. "Yuck, th...at's terrible w- wine."

"That's because it's beer," Falen says with more than a hint of annoyance. He looks at Custodio and shakes his head. "This guy? Really?"

"You never know," Custodio replies as he watches Mr. Aceron wolf down most of the sweetmeats. "He might know something about, well, you-know-who."

The sever seems to sense that more food will be required, so he brings bread for everyone and several bottles of red wine for the table.

"On the house."

Maiya goes back to taking care of her customers, but she keeps one eye on your table. Mutt whines at the loss of attention from a new friend. He moves to the young nobleman and sniffs the man. The big dog reels back from the smell of alcohol and heads back to Tuck. The sever brings a large shank of meat for the dog and puts it down in a large bowl.

"Maiya says not to worry about payment, for now," the sever says with a bow. "You are honored guests for the next few hours. As honored guests, it is customary to be generous with your fellow patrons. The more generous you are, the smaller your bill will be... overall." He heads off to server other customers.

"Th...at sexy rakasta lady sssays you want to ask me some- <hic> thing," Nathaniel says. He is packing away the food and then he looks at Big Tim. He pauses his destruction of a turkey leg to shake his head and then blink his eyes. Then he takes another swig of beer. "Do I know you?" He asks Tim while point the turkey leg at the big half-ogre knight. "You seem... <burp> familiar."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Enough wine will make everyone look familiar," Tuck says smoothly as he raises his own weak ale in greeting. The kobold smiles but quickly looks away; the reptilian features can make a smile unnerving to some people.

Thanking the staff for thinking of Mutt, the urban ranger looks at Akos expectantly. Tuck may be good with words, but nobody else but the Loremaster can so artfully speak and sway people, and he is not about to stand in Akos' way.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"You seem... <burp> familiar."

"As we should, master Aceron. As we should." Akos opens up by smiling and leaning in toward the man in a friendly, conspirative manner
"Each of us is known in his own area, you might have seen me at the docks, preaching...heard about foreign knights of great stature..." he motions toward Breva and Tim "...or problem solver for the citizens and his great, fierce companion." shows Tuck and Muck Mutt ( :p, yes, yes, I know, I' terrible)

"The question we have is very important and may expedite your leaving and make it much safer. I suggest you tell us what you know about the events at Bluffside Garden and whatever you know about renegade and his activities and in return, we will escort you where you want to go within the city."

OOC: concentration while Aceron approaches, readying suggestion for the moment of speaking, I assume the spell cannot be detected as such since the effect is never intrusive? And Akos casts it as supernatural - no visible casting

If this sounds reasonable to him, it may add -1 or -2 circumstance penalty

Also, round for everyone! :)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim watches with interest; he can sense that Akos is up to something, but he doesn't know what; he rules out spell use, because he sees no movement of the fingers, nor does he notice even a whispered incantation. But knowing that Akos' intentions are always for the benefit of the party, Tim says nothing, and gives no outward sign that he is even watching. He pretends to be getting bored and allows his eyes to narrow slightly, as he stares into his half-empty mug of beer.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Enough wine will make everyone look familiar," Tuck says smoothly as he raises his own weak ale in greeting. The kobold smiles but quickly looks away; the reptilian features can make a smile unnerving to some people.

Thanking the staff for thinking of Mutt, the urban ranger looks at Akos expectantly. Tuck may be good with words, but nobody else but the Loremaster can so artfully speak and sway people, and he is not about to stand in Akos' way.
Nathaniel lets out a little laugh and raises his mug to the kobold. A bit of bread spittles into his mug and he shrugs and drinks the beer down. He refills his mug with some of the wine and then downs it in one gulf. "Ah, that's better."

He smiles and nods. "That is very true... still," he says uncertainly. Then he notes Akos looking at him.

"As we should, master Aceron. As we should." Akos opens up by smiling and leaning in toward the man in a friendly, conspirative manner
"Each of us is known in his own area, you might have seen me at the docks, preaching...heard about foreign knights of great stature..." he motions toward Breva and Tim "...or problem solver for the citizens and his great, fierce companion." shows Tuck and Muck Mutt ( :p, yes, yes, I know, I' terrible)
"I'm sure you're famous enough," the young besotted guard replies. He glances back towards Tim. "You, you I'm sure I've met before. When and where..." he ponders. "Ah! It will come to me," he raises his empty mug to Tim. He goes to drink it and the laughs once he's realized his mistake. "Oops! One should never toast a man with an empty glass. He refills it, stands, and manages to bow to Tim with some grace. "I salute you, foreign knight." He turns to Breva." You too."

Then he plops back down into his chair and scoops up another mouthful of food. He looks at Tuck and gives the kobold the once over. "Hmm, a problem solver. If only you could solve my problem... no. Ha! Never mind. Not something to discuss with new friends!"

He refills his mug again and looks loving at the wine swirling in it. "Thank you again, for this."

Neurotic said:
"The question we have is very important and may expedite your leaving and make it much safer. I suggest you tell us what you know about the events at Bluffside Garden and whatever you know about renegade and his activities and in return, we will escort you where you want to go within the city."

OOC: concentration while Aceron approaches, readying suggestion for the moment of speaking, I assume the spell cannot be detected as such since the effect is never intrusive? And Akos casts it as supernatural - no visible casting

If this sounds reasonable to him, it may add -1 or -2 circumstance penalty

Also, round for everyone! :)
Mr. Aceron listens to Akos' suggestion, but he shrugs off Akos' easily. He blinks and looks at Akos more carefully. If he's aware that the Loremaster has tried to supernaturally influence him, he doesn't show it. Could he not be as drunk as he seems?

He shakes his head. "I'm not supposed to talk about my work in the Gardens with just anyone. I do have my position in the Regulars to consider. I'm not sure why your asking about the renegade. I've never met the man or have any knowledge of where he is hiding. If I had, I would be honor bound to tell my superiors, wouldn't I?"

He raises one eyebrow and smiles slyly at Akos. "Now, if you could provide me with an incentive to risk the wrath of my commanders, I might be able to tell you something about others among the Regulars who might be in his employ. It could be very dangerous for me to do otherwise. If you can get me out of Old City, I would be very grateful and can name those who are guilty of much more than I."

"You should have turned in these traitors," Custodio says angrily. The Vanquisher cleric looks like he wants to throttle the young man. "It is your duty."

"Duty doesn't pay for my vices," Nathaniel replies with an oily grin. "And my father has cut my allowance back to the bare minimum. I have a certain standing to live up to even if he can't see it. That old codger!"

"How did you every make it into the Regulars?" Custodio asks rhetorically. He shakes his head in disgust.

"Please, this is Old City, not New City or the Military District." Nathaniel laughs and shakes his head. "The nobles here in Old City insist on military service for their heirs and The Five are more than happy to have their palms greased to let in runts and scapegraces into the guard in order to appease the oldest families. And they're paying for it now, aren't they?"

Tim watches with interest; he can sense that Akos is up to something, but he doesn't know what; he rules out spell use, because he sees no movement of the fingers, nor does he notice even a whispered incantation. But knowing that Akos' intentions are always for the benefit of the party, Tim says nothing, and gives no outward sign that he is even watching. He pretends to be getting bored and allows his eyes to narrow slightly, as he stares into his half-empty mug of beer.
Mr. Aceron keeps one eye on Tim, but he doesn't seem aware that the half-ogre knight is listening to him keenly. Instead, he turns in his chair to watch the singer as she begins to sing a haunting love ballad that enraptures the entire audience. There is soon a tear on Nathaniel's cheek.

"Isn't she amazing," he sighs. "So young and yet so talented."

He cradles his mug of wine in his hands on his lap, but he keeps one eye on Falen sitting next to him.

Falen whispers to Custodio. "He's not that drunk, it seems."

The Elite guard looks towards Akos and tilts his head and shifts his eyes in a way to say to the Loremaster. 'Try again.'

 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck shrugs as the man seems to be immune to Akos' charms. Worse, the urban ranger realizes, he asks for bribes, and the kobold is very accostumed to those greasy noble sons throwing their family names around. He's disgusted by Nathaniel.

"Getting someone out of Old City is childs' play," Tuck mutters to himself, just loud enough for the man to hear. Acting oblivious, he looks into his now empty mug, then continues talking to himself, "Plenty of people would pay for doing so instead of asking for compensation like a smug rich boy."

Abruptly he looks up from his mug.

"Sorry! Just thinking out loud. How about another drink?"

OOC: So... that's my poor attempt at Diplomacy untrained. 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2 😲
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: if those comments count as aid another or if he's hostile modify the roll
Diplomacy: 1D20+25 = [14]+25 = 39


"Isn't she amazing," he sighs. "So young and yet so talented."
Akos looks away for the moment at the girl singing.
"She really is. It would be a shame to see this fine establishment involved in a raid going after some noble that is just trying to leave a city, eh?"

He turns fully back to the noble and focuses his attention, eyes shining with intensity.

"We're not just anyone. We closed the magical anomaly at the gate, we fought both Loyalists and others going against the city, we captured Old City Killer and we're actually tasked at investigating the events at the Garden. You are a lead and therefore we're here. You can talk to us and be escorted safely out of the city. As you say, it can be dangerous on the streets these days and having a group with you can be very useful. You understand that if you cannot tell us anything about anyone, we have to pursue other leads. After all, you're one of the Regulars, you know the drill.

Oh, and by the way, your commander is looking for you and you're honor bound to report in. Or you could tell us everything and we could give your report to the commander. And escort you outside, reporting we have certain and confirmed information you're on unpaid vacation on your families estate.

What do you say?"
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck shrugs as the man seems to be immune to Akos' charms. Worse, the urban ranger realizes, he asks for bribes, and the kobold is very accostumed to those greasy noble sons throwing their family names around. He's disgusted by Nathaniel.

"Getting someone out of Old City is childs' play," Tuck mutters to himself, just loud enough for the man to hear. Acting oblivious, he looks into his now empty mug, then continues talking to himself, "Plenty of people would pay for doing so instead of asking for compensation like a smug rich boy."

Abruptly he looks up from his mug.

"Sorry! Just thinking out loud. How about another drink?"

OOC: So... that's my poor attempt at Diplomacy untrained. 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2 😲
Nathaniel looks at Tuck with a glint of anger, but the young guard keeps his cool. Obviously he doesn't wish to make a scene. "You need to be quiet and let her sing," he says with great irritation through gritted teeth. The young noble fills his mug again from a different bottle than the one the kobold urban ranger is offering. "Do not forget you are talking to a noble's son from one of the most notable Houses in all of Bluffside... despite what you may have heard from our rivals."

Mutt notices the tension and growls while on the bone left from the meal provided to the big dog.

"And reign in your... pup's noise," Nathaniel whispers. "I'd hate to have my grandfather make a challenge at the Tribunal regarding his license. Mongrels do not have the freedom to come and go in Old City."

"Careful, soldier," Custodio warns. "You are treading a thin line so don't overestimate your importance. You are a Regular sitting with a d'Elite. Don't forget that."

"You're title means nothing, Vanquisher," Mr. Aceron replies coolly to Custodio. "The guards think you are a disgrace and a spy in our ranks for The Five. Their time will soon be over, as will Oakfirst's. The true nobles of the city will see to that soon."

The table next to yours looks at you with disdain. An older nobleman puts a finger to his lips and shushes you. Nathaniel plays the drunken fop and passes the man one of the bottles from your table. He then turns his eyes back towards the singer until she finishes her song.

OOC: if those comments count as aid another or if he's hostile modify the roll
Diplomacy: 1D20+25 = [14]+25 = 39
OOC: Not hostile, but Tuck's Diplomacy attempt made him unfriendly. Akos' Diplomacy check moves him to friendly. The dice roll was one short of making him helpful. ;)

Neurotic said:
Akos looks away for the moment at the girl singing.
"She really is. It would be a shame to see this fine establishment involved in a raid going after some noble that is just trying to leave a city, eh?"
"That would be a shame," Nathaniel replies. "But I doubt you have anyone else with you more substantial than him." He motions to Big Tim. "Luckily, I'd rather drink and eat than fight."

Neurotic said:
He turns fully back to the noble and focuses his attention, eyes shining with intensity.

"We're not just anyone. We closed the magical anomaly at the gate, we fought both Loyalists and others going against the city, we captured Old City Killer and we're actually tasked at investigating the events at the Garden. You are a lead and therefore we're here. You can talk to us and be escorted safely out of the city. As you say, it can be dangerous on the streets these days and having a group with you can be very useful. You understand that if you cannot tell us anything about anyone, we have to pursue other leads. After all, you're one of the Regulars, you know the drill.
"I do know," the Regular replies to Akos.

He smirks at Tuck. "You should really let the Loremaster speak for your group. He knows how to spin a phrase and get to the heart of the matter."

Turning back to Akos. "I do know who you all are and the deeds you have done. Your capture of that damn doppelganger who was running amok through the streets was a great service to the noble families of Old City. The Regulars, not even the Elite," he smirks at Custodio. "Would have been able to catch that fiend. And, they did try. The problem is old men like the Lord Commander who pretends to be this great leader when he is nothing but The Five's lapdog."

"If you want to know about the Gardens, I do know a great deal... but not everything. I'm not in league with the renegade. He doesn't pay that well for information." He sighs. "I really should have had Geoffrey tell Phelix to keep his money and got out sooner. But, I have debts that have to be paid and my father is a skinflint."

"So, you betrayed the city for money," Custodio interrupts. "Taking bribes is serious breach of your oath."

"That oath means nothing to me and many other Regulars here in Old City," Nathaniel snaps back. "Now please sit quietly and pay attention. The Loremaster and I are having an intelligent conversation."

The singer has stepped off the stage and conversations in the inn have gotten lively once again, but the next table has noticed that your conversation isn't as cordial. Instead of eavesdropping, they ask to be moved to a private room in the back. The table is quickly cleared and new patrons fill it without hesitation, however. They are more interested in their drinks and telling jokes than the Exemplars.

Neurotic said:
Oh, and by the way, your commander is looking for you and you're honor bound to report in. Or you could tell us everything and we could give your report to the commander. And escort you outside, reporting we have certain and confirmed information you're on unpaid vacation on your families estate.

What do you say?"
"I doubt old Mildenhall has even noticed that I'm gone. He's another lapdog who can barely see anything beyond all the hair on his head and his long dwarven beard. He's such a toady of The Five that the Regulars find him unbearable." He laughs. "If you want to go and sit in his office for me, go ahead and spend hours being bored. You'd be better off talking to Captain Wildore. He's a much more interesting man. A fine example of true nobility — ambitious, cunning, and completely ruthless."

He pauses to consider Akos' question. He drinks another cup of wine and smiles. "I will tell you what I can, as long as you escort me to my family's estate at the edge of the valley. It will take half a day, at most, unless we rush or you have horses. With horses, it will only take a few hours to get there. My mother will make a fine meal, if you want to stay. If not, I won't be offended but she might."

Nathaniel lowers his voice. "I'm know that you know that Phelix has hidden himself on an adjacent plane. That demiplane is a bit limited in size, and he didn't create it. Well, that's what Geoffrey Suggitt told me over a year ago. you haven't caught him yet, have you? No, otherwise why would you have sought me out. He... is in league with Phelix. When Phelix first came to the city several years ago and set up at The Winsome Heart under the name Felix Yoxell, Mr. Suggitt came to me and a few other Regulars with a request to look the other way while the man did some research. He wanted to explore the walls around the Gardens discreetly and look for evidence of some lost archeology." He sighs. "That is what he made us believe and the money to look the other way was very good. I had even more debts back then. The others were just greedy. There was one Regular who objected, but he was quickly reassigned to the Bluffside Mountian Rangers by Captain Wildore."

"This captain is working for Waldo?" Falen asks.

"No, he just has his own vision for Bluffside and the renegade is a good distraction for the Elites and The Five," Nathaniel replies to the unseen seer. "Geoffrey has funneled several large payments to Captain Wildore so that large transactions from the renegade to his allies in the city have gone unnoticed." He grins wickedly. "It was easy for the captain. Commander Mildenhall is an old foolish dwarf in polished armor who'd rather be on the front lines hunting monsters in the mountains. He is blinded by his past."

"I can't believe it," Custodio says. "Captain Ivan Wildore is one of the best Regulars to ever wear the uniform. He has helped save Bluffside countless times."

"He is a powerful and dangerous man," Nathaniel insists. "I've seen him do things that would make your blood freeze solid, d'Elite. He feigns being a cleric of Sky and Air, but he actually worships the primordial titan, Karel."

"What?"

"Oh, he's not the only person you should worry about who is not what he seems in this city," the sly Regular says. "But I'm not going to give away all the secrets I've gathered without a promise to the deity that each of you holds dear that you won't just march me to the barracks and lock me in a cell."

He looks around the inn. "If we're going to continue this conversation, it should be somewhere else where no one can overhear us."
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Forgive me for being blunt, but I'd like to know how The Dusk got involved with Phelix and his Loyalists, so if you know anything about them and their plans in Bluffside would be interesting," Falen says. "But, we should move this conversation to someplace less observable. The rakasta has offered a private room on the second floor. I think that would be suitable."

"Hmm, I have no issue with it," Nathaniel replies. "As I said, I have no interest in fighting any of you. It is more in my interest to talk and then be free of Old City until things have settled down."

"It is unlikely you will be allowed back in Bluffside," Custodio insists.

"That depend on whether or not your precious leaders still rule the city," the Regular says. If he is annoyed that Custodio still continues to speak to him, he doesn't show it.

Breva has sat and listen to the young guard brag about being corrupt and it makes him angry that such a man as this is allowed to be responsible for the safety of Old City, not that Mr. Aceron seems to care about his duties as guard. While the others are distracting the man with drink, food, and conversation, Breva activates his ability to sense evil. The young guard radiates a faint aura. He truly would not be a match for the Exemplars. The Regular talks of treason like it is a simple thing. The information about the corrupt guard captain is useful, but it seems corruption among the guards of Old City is commonplace. That will have to change if Bluffside is survive Phelix. While Breva holds his tongue the young paladin doesn't like the idea of letting this man get away with his crimes.

Breva notes that Nathaniel's evil aura isn't the only one in the inn. Their are two men sitting together at small table the far side of the common room. Their evil auras are also faint, barely noticeable. They are engrossed in deep conversation and aren't drink very much but neither are they paying attention to anyone else in the room.

Nathaniel motions to Maiya and she is soon standing above him. "I hope everything here is going well. More drinks?"

"Maybe later," Nathaniel says with a lustful smile. "For now, we wish a private room upstairs." He motions to Falen. "This one said you had offered it as a sanctuary for our discussions."

The rakasta innkeeper instantly realizes that Mr. Aceron is better actor than for which she had given him credit. "If that is what you want?" she makes it obvious that she is asking the Loremaster.
 


Scotley

Hero
Breva sighs and trails the others to ask a question of the innkeeper. He leans in with a smile as if telling a joke for her ears only. "Nathaniel is a right treasonous bastard I am sorry to say. We'll take him out of here before the night is through, but we want to talk to him more first. But there is another matter that has come to my attention. There are two fellows at that little table on the far side of the room. The ones who are deep in conversation and ignoring their drinks and the show. Yes, those two. Do you know aught of them?"
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Knightfall said:
<snip> "For now, we wish a private room upstairs." He motions to Falen. "This one said you had offered it as a sanctuary for our discussions."

The rakasta innkeeper instantly realizes that Mr. Aceron is better actor than for which she had given him credit. "If that is what you want?" she makes it obvious that she is asking the Loremaster.
Nods.
"As you wish," please follow me. She motions for one of her staff to head upstairs ahead of her and for one of the waiter that had been serving your table to go around the common room and check to make sure everyone is settled and content.

Akos and Breva lead the way behind the female rakasta with Mr. Aceron behind them who is being watched closely by Custodio and Vinny. Next in line is Falen with Big Tim and Tuck watching their backs. Mutt stays close to the kobold ranger.

Breva sighs and trails the others to ask a question of the innkeeper. He leans in with a smile as if telling a joke for her ears only. "Nathaniel is a right treasonous bastard I am sorry to say. We'll take him out of here before the night is through, but we want to talk to him more first. But there is another matter that has come to my attention. There are two fellows at that little table on the far side of the room. The ones who are deep in conversation and ignoring their drinks and the show. Yes, those two. Do you know aught of them?"
Half way to the stairs, Breva manages to get Maiya's ear without anyone showing any interest. She senses his intent and pretends to listen with great fun and purring laugh with her hand over her mouth.

"They've been here several times over the last few months," she whispers back to the paladin. "Merchants, I think, from the north. One of them is from Voltara near the Rolheim Mountains while the other is from someplace much further north that I've heard of, if I'm remembering correctly. They drink a lot, have some fun, but have never caused any problems for me or my employees. The Voltaran is named Beltramino. I don't remember the other man's name. It was very long and complicated."

She stops at the foot of the stairs and waves to a rich older patron and blows him a kiss. The man looks annoyed that Breva is so close to her, but his mood lightens at her playfulness towards him. He waves back and looks content in his cup of wine. Several empty bottles sit on his small table in the corner next to the stage.

"If you think they might be an issue, I will have my songbird try to find out more about them," Maiya adds as she leads them up the stairs onto the second floor. The inn is well built and designed to be spacious with wide hallways and high doorframes. Tim isn't forced to do much except duck his head in a few places. You can see that the stairs continue up to another floor and Tuck notices that stairs also lead down into what looks like a deep cellar. The rakasta innkeeper escorts you down the wide hallway to a room with a large doorway.

The door opens from the inside and the staff member, who ran up ahead of Maiya, bows and motions for you to enter. Maiya steps to one side and waits for all to enter before following the group inside. "I hope this will be satisfactory."

The room is sparsely decorated but what there is in the room is opulent. There is a massive red oak table surrounded by a dozen chairs and several wardrobes and sideboards. Items are laid out perfectly on each table there is but there is plenty of room for you to set down gear or hang weapons and shields on the walls.

"Thank you, sweet lady," Nathaniel says with grace. "I shall be checking out of your fine inn soon and leaving the city. If you could have my possessions brought here and send for a carriage. We must work out some details first," he waves elegantly towards Akos and even acknowledges the Breva and Tim. "Hopefully it will be a short negotiation."

He produces a pouch of coins from somewhere inside his clothes and hands its contents over to Maiya. "I hope that will cover my expenses for my time here," he says with full knowledge that it will and then some.

Maiya bows to Mr. Aceron and snaps her fingers. The staff member rushes out of the room without another word and down the hall. "It will be as you wish, Lord Nathaniel. A carriage will be ready within the hour."

As she steps from the room, the young nobleman's pouch disappears into a hidden pocket somewhere inside her clothes. She bows again and close the door behind her.

Nathaniel relaxes once the doors are shut. He sits at one end of the table and invites Akos to sit at the other end. He doesn't wait for anyone to sit down, however. He has brought along a bottle of wine and his mug. He fills it and drinks it down. "My father has always believed I have a hollow head. In truth, I have a hollow leg that can be filled twice over with any spirits. It will probably take them some time to pack up my possessions. Cleaning and packing is best left to servants."

The young Regular produces a piece of parchment from inside his tunic. It is folded over and looks ready to be sealed. "This writ is a standard contract often used by my family and many of the other true noble houses of Bluffside. I will add notations that state I am providing you with all the information I know about Geoffrey Suggitt, Captain Wildore, and the Renegade and his Loyalists, and that in return you assure that I will be escorted to my family estate in the countryside and that no one will harm me while I am being taken there. This includes not only your group, but also those who might wish to silence me."

"The Dusk too," Falen insists.

"Yes, yes, I know very little about them," Nathaniel says with annoyance.

"I'm not signing that," Custodio says.

"Oh, I think you will, all of you," Nathaniel insists. "If you are worried about some sort of geas, you need not. I don't need the threat of magical coercion on my side. I have my family's name, especially my grandfather's name, Lord Cyrus, to protect me should you break your word or fail to protect me from Phelix and his allies."

"I doubt the information you have is that good," Custodio sneers.

"I think you will be surprised by what I know and how much it would cost if I had the option of using a local information broker," the young noble replies calmly. "Now be silent and let your betters speak for you."

Custodio glances towards Breva and Tim then growls at the young guard. "Can't I just hurt him a little? I want to knock that smug look off his face."

Nathaniel's relaxed demeanor quickly fades. His had inadvertently goes towards his blade but Custodio growls at him again and shakes his head.

"Don't give me a reason to kill you," Custodio says menacingly. "Now just sit there and shut up while we discuss what we're going to do with you."

Nathaniel looks down into his mug, worried, sheepish.

OOC:
A successful Knowledge (nobility & royalty), Knowledge (local), or Knowledge (religion) check will mean a PC has heard of Nathaniel's grandfather. The DC for the Religion check is only 20 since his grandfather is well-known resident of Bluffside who lives in the Temple District, but the DCs for Nobility and Royalty and Local checks are at DC 25 since the man rarely uses his surname.

 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos looks up at some irritation toward Custodio at his outburst. He also sits across the young lord and waits for the things to calm down, his hands calmly at the table before the noble tries to stand up and goes for his sword.

"Sit down! No one will fight here!" he snaps, the voice commanding before returning to softer volume
"Look, Aceron..." he intentionally drops and honorifics "...you are a noble of some influence. But you may have noticed there are things changing. And if Loyalists win, what do you think will be rewarded with the goods from the city? Nobles? Or outsider sellswords that came for the riches? At best, you will remain in positions and with lowered influence. On the other hand, helping the Bluffside, even tangentially, can increase the already existing influence. You don't have to prove to a new government you're loyal nor accept their blunders and possible cruelty which would also turn the public against the privileged. And we all know, you don't live so much on the money as on the reputation and the power.

I know of your grandsire, may gods preserve him, but do you think he would protect you if it goes public you support the renegade? There is a limit of how much he can spare you. We are negotiating because it is faster and more convenient for us, not because we are in some dire need especially since you already gave us names to investigate."


He grows more serious, his demeanor forward leaning, face frowining and the voice drops lower and quieter. All together it creates a disturbingly dark image
"We need the information you can provide. But don't overestimate your value. We can investigate the names you gave us both through our connections, through magic and simply going there and talking to them. You, on the other hand didn't listen when I said we will escort you to the edge of the town, the main threat is here, not out there. And make no mistake, if we leave this place loudly discussing what we found out from you, you will not get out. This is not a threat. We don't even have to discuss anything, you became the target the moment you went from the table with us to the separate room. Even if you're not important in the grand scheme of things, you obviously know something. And it may even be something that the other side wants to hide. And if it is, you being killed may be a mercy since we saw...things...he did to people. I hate ot repeat myself so I will ask you once more nicely." he smiles "So...do you choose Bluffside and your life as is..." he turns the left hand palm side up "...or you choose the service of the usurper who is deluded in thinking he can prevail here. Chose NOW!"

If the boy looks like he's thinking too long - anything above two breaths
"Chose or you chose by not chosing!" and Akos stands up


Diplomacy: 1D20+25 = [14]+25 = 39
Intimidate: 1D20+23 = [17]+23 = 40
Religion: 1D20+13 = [12]+13 = 25
- dodge this! :)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck quietly takes a seat after trying to make Mutt sit in front of the door. He is upset at the pompous noble - a fine example of nobility making life miserable for the common people, and the urban ranger has enough experience with that sort - but he also realizes another poor choice of words on his behalf can escalate the situation and leave them with nothing. So instead the kobold remains silent, studying the room for potential escape routes and making sure to be ready if Aceron decides to flee or fight.

Studying the door and any possible windows, he also thinks on traps he would add if they were to hang out here for a while. Too bad he doesn't have his assortiment of tools and readymade traps with him. Perhaps later he can see if his lair is still safe? He chuckles to himself. Perhaps some poor fool found it, and in his mind he sees how that must've ended for him.

All this while listening to the conversation.

OOC:
Knowledge local: 1D20+9 = [5]+9 = 14

You know nothing, Tuck Snow. ;)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim snorts, "I'm kind of new here, so I don't have the honor of knowing your esteemed grandfather. However, I can tell you this, as a nobleman myself, relying on the name of your house and the honor afforded to it will only take you so far. There comes a point where words and reputations will become moot. That contract is as worthless as the paper it's printed on, and I will not sign it. You have my word as a knight that if we choose to escort you ANYWHERE, you will remain safe under our protection, especially if I have anything to say about it. I do not back up my words with contracts; I back them up with action, with strength of arm, and sharpness of steel. Do you doubt the veracity of what I say? I should hope not. The absence of doubt is proven by my actions. When I say that I shall do something, those words soon become REALITY. That's the difference between us; what you rely on for protection and for respect is fleeting and ephemeral. Because you rely on words. I am a man of actions."
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top