Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck looks at the strangely comical scene for just one more moment, before deciding to return to the others. Staying in the shadows for a few blocks, the kobold then whispers a command to Mutt.

"Run," he instructs while climbing on the big dog's furry back, and off the two go, quickly back to the scene of the fight.

When they are almost there, Tuck dismounts and nimbly moves through the gathered crowd. He motions a fast greeting to his companions while moving towards the halfling commander Herleva straightaway.

"The Gate of Scales is unguarded," he reports, quiet enough so that the crowd would not hear it, or at least not everyone. "The Regulars seem to be in a, well, parade, led by Lord Horatius Demos Atticus, towards the Masque Arch."

The kobold is careful to leave out his personal feeling about this in his tone, except for his worries about the relocation of guards.

Scotley

Hero
Breva listens to the heretical talk with the heavy heart. He feels the call to speak in favor of his own God, but these misguided souls are likely beyond saving. He shakes his head and simply says, "While you have been blinded a true heart can see the path of real righteousness. If we can't save your soul we can at least see justice done."

Upon hearing Tuck's news he pulls his companions together. "Perhaps this," he gestures at the bodies and prisoners, "is just a distraction. I think we best make our way to this gate in some haste. I fear there is more Devilry afoot this day."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Akos gets up and dusts off after cheking everyone and turns to the crowds.
"Good citizens! Here you have a chance to see that those who might be termed villains are still beings of flesh and blood. While some..." he motions toward the priest "...may be loathsome and others..." motions toward Mambru "...are hard to understand, they are still people with their own problems and beliefs. Just like you, sir..." this time he motions in general direction of the crowd, not exactly pinpointing the man who cried "heathen!" - "...your piety does you credit, but do not be too quick to judge those less fortunate. For you know not what you might do if hungry on the street. The gods gave you plenty, you have your homes, families and food. You have The Five you can count on. Even in trying times like these when trouble rears its ugly head, you can see The Five working against the calamity." At the mention of the five he motions toward his group first only then waving it around to include the city. It is done subtly in one motion, but the idea is there. The group barely connected to The Five may now be firmly lodged in the crowds minds as the extension of them.
"Please, disperse, let us handle the miscreants and don't offer the terrorists this big a target."

OOC: diplomacy +24 and bluff +16 if you want to check the effects of the speech and subtleness of the wave :p
Perform (oratory) lacks ranks for some weird reason?!
The gathered crowd listens intently to Akos's words. While most listen with respect and a bit of awe for the growing fame of the heroes, a few continue to whisper among themselves. However, others shush them and soon all are listening with, at least, grudging respect. They all seem to weigh Akos's words of wisdom with deep thought. These are the elders and merchants of Old City, after all. Even the man who decried the 'heathens' softens his gaze but Akos can tell the man is still wary of the mercenaries.

The crowd begins to disperse in the wake of the Loremaster's short oratory. A few shake his hand and wish him and "Heroes of Old City" well. Then, Tim speaks his retort to the mercenaries...

The crowd (on average) is considered Hostile to the Rising Swords (with a -10 infamy penalty) and Indifferent to the PCs and the Regulars. Akos's Diplomacy check changes the crowd's average attitude to Indifferent to the Rising Swords prisoners and Helpful to the PCs and Regulars.

The crowd's average Sense Motive check: Gathered Crowd - Sense Motive check: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6

Akos - Diplomacy and Bluff checks: 1D20+24 = [17]+24 = 41; 1D20+16 = [5]+16 = 21

Due to Akos's renown bonus of +2 the unmodified checks increase to 43 and 23, respectively. The diplomacy check is only 33 for the Rising Swords due the infamy penalty.

Tim scoffs at Narzissa, He replies to her in a loud, firm tone, so that the crowd might hear clearly as well: "If I assume too much, then so do you. I have no desire to save you. I have a desire to see justice done. And while we're on the subject of deities, my god does NOT offer salvation. He offers us the chance for a better life, by serving him. Ours is a life of sacrifice and devotion to duty. Syvatogor does not offer to save my soul, he offers me the strength to protect it myself, to earn my own way, in this world, and in the world beyond. He doesn't fill my belly like some helpless infant; he gives me the strength and will to fill it myself. And because my god offers nothing, he cannot possibly be the liar and thief you proclaim him to be. IN FACT, I would venture to say that even deities who deliver on their promises are in fact robbing their followers of their own individuality and self-determination. Such deities make their followers into weaklings. With Syvatogor, this is not so. The reward for self-sacrifice in the course of serving Syvatogor is the opportunity to sacrifice even more. That's what most people will never understand. You don't become strong by being served; you become strong by being of service."
"Then you and your god are both fools," Narzissa snaps back. "You don't want to save me. Fine. I can live with that. But don't expect me to convert to your deity or any other gods. Gods are charlatans. All of them. Yours has fooled you into submission... what you call sacrifice and devotion, and you readily admit its for nothing but you sacrificing your life for him." She shakes her head in disbelief. "You and I will never agree." She turn her back to the knight, as if to say she's done listening.

Some in the dispersing crowd boo and hiss at her, but they do continue to go back to their daily lives. A few youngsters gather around Akos and ask him if he can sing. Roland tries to shoo them away. "Go back to your mother's embrace. This scene is not for your eyes."

"I've s- seen a lot worse," one boys says a bit ashfacen.

"No you haven't," his older sister says as she tries to drag him away from the dead bodies on the street.

OOC: No matter what Tim says to Narzissa form now on, she refuses to speak to him at all. She will talk to Akos but not about gods or religion but not when Tim is around.

Tim looks at Mambru, then continues in the same, authoritative tone: "While it may be true that many dieties see their followers as pawns, or even cattle, it is not so with Syvatogor. He shows his compassion to us by filling us with courage, in the face of overwhelming adversity. He shows his compassion to us by allowing us to fail. Failure is an effective teacher; that which does not kill us, makes us stronger. You should grow a backbone, and stop blaming the gods for your own weakness."
"Your debate continues to stir up the crowd even though it's best for all that you don't incite them to violence," Mambru notes to Tim. "You should listen more to your friend's words," he motions to Akos with a head bob as the guards shackle his and Narzissa's arms behind their backs. "He's done a better job at making me think about my own life than you. You're blustering just makes me angrier. Either speak to me no more or cut my ear's off."

Breva listens to the heretical talk with the heavy heart. He feels the call to speak in favor of his own God, but these misguided souls are likely beyond saving. He shakes his head and simply says, "While you have been blinded a true heart can see the path of real righteousness. If we can't save your soul we can at least see justice done."
"Justice for those in power," Mambru replies. "I will not believe in anything else from The Five."

Tuck looks at the strangely comical scene for just one more moment, before deciding to return to the others. Staying in the shadows for a few blocks, the kobold then whispers a command to Mutt.

"Run," he instructs while climbing on the big dog's furry back, and off the two go, quickly back to the scene of the fight.

When they are almost there, Tuck dismounts and nimbly moves through the gathered crowd. He motions a fast greeting to his companions while moving towards the halfling commander Herleva straightaway.

"The Gate of Scales is unguarded," he reports, quiet enough so that the crowd would not hear it, or at least not everyone. "The Regulars seem to be in a, well, parade, led by Lord Horatius Demos Atticus, towards the Masque Arch."

The kobold is careful to leave out his personal feeling about this in his tone, except for his worries about the relocation of guards.
"That buffoon," Herleva says with surprise. "What is he doing out from behind a desk?" She shakes her head in dismay. "The news about the missing guards is troubling. The Gate of Scales is never left unguarded."

"Unless there is a festival," Roland notes. "And there are no festivals scheduled for Old City. All were cancelled once he started killing people," the Regular points at the unconscious form of Mani. The insane doppelganger almost looks serene laying unconscious on the the cobblestone street.

Upon hearing Tuck's news he pulls his companions together. "Perhaps this," he gestures at the bodies and prisoners, "is just a distraction. I think we best make our way to this gate in some haste. I fear there is more Devilry afoot this day."
"Any more deviltry and I'm going to need some serious time off," Vinccenzo says. The Sectarian Guard is still nursing his wounds but is ready to press on to the gate.

"We need to get these prisoners to the jail at the barracks," Roland notes. "Daithí, you and Zaquiel stay here and watch over the dead. Keep the people away from them until a wagon can be sent to pick up the bodies." He looks at Tim and the other. "We should not be carrying them through the street."

"I- I'd like to stay with Odhran," Mariana asks. "I need to think about how I'm going to tell my cousin. She's going to be crushed. Poor Serafina. I warned her that his life was dangerous, but she married him anyway. I can't really blame her..." The young regular seems to be talking to the air rather that Roland.

"Very well," Herleva replies. "But, remember you duty to the city. Don't let grief distract you."

Mariana looks down at the halfling sergeant. She takes a deep breath and then nods.

"Roland, let's get them moving!" Herleva orders. Her second in command snaps to attention and makes the three prisoners walk in unison. All three of the Rising Swords mercenaries have been chained with their hands behind their backs. They've been linked together by a firm rope. Roland walks in front of them while Herleva walks behind them. Vinccenzo walks just to the left of the prisoners.

The guards ask Tim to carry the unconscious doppelganger. Herleva asks Tuck to lead the way to the gate. It's a short march, even with the prisoners slowing them down. It is as Tuck said. The gate is completely deserted. There is no sign of a struggle. It's as if the guards simply left their posts.

"This is wrong," Roland says with concern. "It doesn't make any sense."

"Unless someone has charmed them," Vinccenzo suggests. "Or bribed them."

"Elites are normally stationed here," Herleva notes. "I could see a few succumbing to magic but not all of them. I'd hate to think Elites would accept bribes to look the other way." The halfling sergeant stares at Solomon with disgust. "What did your people do?"

The Dissenter priest just grins through his gag.

"You'd be surprised how corrupt your fellow guards are when enough coin is offered," Mambru says.

"Liar!" Roland snaps.

OOC: I assume your PCs will want to look for clues. Search checks! And you can roll Sense Motive checks against Solomon and Mambru. Intimidate would also be useful against Mambru and Narzissa... less so against Solomon.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos looks from one to another.
"We should look into it whatever the reason. If their superior is replaced by a doppelganger, or just plain incompetent and duped into something, the guards would have to follow orders. In a moment, just to fortify myself."

He mutters a spell and instead of healing himself as indicated he attempts to charm Mambru. Only then he triggers his belt of healing closing his wounds.

Standard: charm Mambru
Move: either to face Mambru or toward the gate (depending on the save) Will DC 14

Next round:
Healing belt: 2D8 = [8, 8] = 16 uh, wow, max healing!

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

Mambru said:
"...Your blustering just makes me angrier. Either speak to me no more or cut my ear's off." [...] "..You'd be surprised how corrupt your fellow guards are when enough coin is offered..."

Tim levels his sword at the now helpless Mambru, and rests the tip of the blade gently on his left ear.

Tim smiles, "What a novel idea. You have inspired me, thank you. You obviously know something about what has transpired here, with regard to the missing guards. Why don't you speak up, and give me a reason to forego your inspirational suggestion?"

Tim's innermost thoughts:~I'll not butcher the man's ears, but he doesn't know that. Perhaps I can make him squeal, if I don't come on TOO strong. Let's test him.~

OOC: Intimidate: 22 (w/o situational modifiers)

OOC: No matter what Mambru says, afterwards, Tim will help search for clues, albeit unsuccessfully.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Treachery is ever more potent than a ram. We must assume the worst." But he eyes Solomon and Mambru with suspicion. What is your game he wonders to himself. He is sure they are still playing them. He pauses to look for clues.

sense motive twice and search: 1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26
1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19
1D20+2 = [9]+2 = 11
Breva can instantly tell that Solomon's grin and gaze are not a bluff. His eyes show no remorse for his actions or the fate of the missing guards. Breva isn't sure if the evil priest knows what happened to them, but the paladin is sure something is hidden behind those eyes.

Mambru's bluff is a poor attempt. The man has no instinct for creative lying to save his own skin or sow dissent. The mercenary's words are betrayed by his downcast eyes and a break in his voice when he says the word 'corrupt'. He has no idea what has happened to the guards and is just speculating for the sake of his own amusement.

Akos looks from one to another.
"We should look into it whatever the reason. If their superior is replaced by a doppelganger, or just plain incompetent and duped into something, the guards would have to follow orders. In a moment, just to fortify myself."

He mutters a spell and instead of healing himself as indicated he attempts to charm Mambru. Only then he triggers his belt of healing closing his wounds.

Standard: charm Mambru
Move: either to face Mambru or toward the gate (depending on the save) Will DC 14

Next round:
Healing belt: 2D8 = [8, 8] = 16 uh, wow, max healing!
The Loremaster is able to lock eyes with the mercenary. The sly magic tries to influence the man's will, but Mambru easily shrugs off the charm attempt. He shakes his head and blinks and then glares at Akos. He has sensed the Loremaster's attempt to charm him. He says nothing but he bares his teeth like a wild animal that wants to sink his fangs into flesh.

OOC: Mambru - Will Save: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21 (saves)

Tim levels his sword at the now helpless Mambru, and rests the tip of the blade gently on his left ear.

Tim smiles, "What a novel idea. You have inspired me, thank you. You obviously know something about what has transpired here, with regard to the missing guards. Why don't you speak up, and give me a reason to forego your inspirational suggestion?"

Tim's innermost thoughts:~I'll not butcher the man's ears, but he doesn't know that. Perhaps I can make him squeal, if I don't come on TOO strong. Let's test him.~

OOC: Intimidate: 22 (w/o situational modifiers)

OOC: No matter what Mambru says, afterwards, Tim will help search for clues, albeit unsuccessfully.
Mambru turns his glare from Akos to Tim.

"First this one tries to invade my mind," he motions to Akos with head shake. "And when that doesn't work, you try to get me to soil myself like I'm some simpering Del Cannitha Loyalist. I am a Rising Sword. My will doesn't break so easily. I will accept the Tribunal's judgment but I'm not going to beg for my life. I have more pride than that." He shakes his head. "And I've been told enough about you to know you're not the sort to torture a foe." He looks at Tuck, who has been silent." He on the other hand would gut both me and Narzissa if we were alone with him."

Tuck glares at the man and makes a hissing sound that comes out like a growl. Mutt senses his packmate's displeasure and growls at Mambru too.

"If you want the truth about what happened here, why don't you ask him," Mambru motions to Solomon.

Solomon's evil smile turns into a grimace through his gag. He makes an obscene gesture at Mambru... with his pants.

After putting Mani down, Tim tries to help Breva search the abandoned gate but the two of them only find a handful of muddy footprints near a large puddle that crisscross the open gateway from the mornings local traffic. It also looks like a cart drove through the puddle. People have been coming and going as usual but neither of them can discern if there has been any unusual movement.

The guard post next to the gate is empty yet hasn't been locked. The armor, weapons, and gear is neatly put away ready to be used. The post's tables and chairs are neatly arranged but there isn't any morning meals or cups of water. Everything is as it should be except that no one is on duty.

"This is either a major dereliction of duty, or something very odd is going on here," Herleva says as she walks through the deserted guard post. She looks at the duty roster for the post. "There should be at least four Elites on duty here, including a captain. Hmm, that's odd. There isn't a name for the captain who is supposed to be on duty today. While each guard isn't always named, the captain must put his name down for the record."

"That's the protocol," Roland adds.

"Someone didn't want their names recorded," Vinccenzo suggests. Once Breva and Tim are done going through everything, the Sectarian Guard goes through the gate post and along the entire gate with his keen senses. He takes his time. He finds three things of note.

First, there is a hidden cache of goods hidden under a loose flagstone near the gate. There is a box with coins, a few semiprecious gems, and some parchment. The coin are mainly coppers and silvers but there are 2 gold pieces as well. The three gems aren't likely very valuable. The parchment feels like it has been written on but there isn't any visible text. "Likely invisible ink," he says. "Or maybe magic." He hands the box to Breva for safekeeping.

Second, he makes note of the muddy prints and there are some boot scraps that look like they were made in haste. It's hard to say, as the prints aren't fresh. More than likely they were made last night in the fog. "I don't think there was a fight but something happened here, quickly."

The third thing he finds surprises everyone. There is a secret door built into the stone floor of one of the guard post's two cells. The Sectarian Guard nearly missed it. It is barely 5 feet by 5 feet. "This shouldn't be here, should it?" He asks Herleva.

"Absolutely not!" She says with anger, her face red. "It's a major security breech!"

Roland shakes his head. "Someone is going to get ostracized from the city for this one."

Vinccenzo looks at Tim, "I don't think you're going to fit through that opening. Well, not easily." The Sectarian Guard takes a torch from the wall, lights it, and drops it down the hole. He peers into the hole, carefully. "The drop is at least 30 feet straight down, and I don't see a ladder. There is a passageway down there, but it looks really tight. Tuck and Sergeant Herleva could traverse it with ease, but the rest of us are going to be scraping against walls, if we go down there. The head room looks okay."

Everyone looks towards the Rising Swords mercenaries. Mambru looks shocked. Narzissa stares impassively, at no one. Solomon is staring at his feet while cackling and coughing through his gag.

Mani starts snoring.

OOC: So, the initial passageway looks to be about 8 to 10 feet wide and the height near the hole is 25 to 30 feet. Anyone who looks down can see four stone doors that are built into the corridor's four walls. One of those doors stands open and faces north.

Last edited:

Remove ads