Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim snarls, "No so fast, my friend. Take a load off!"

Tim expertly places the flat of his blade between the running creature's feet, in an effort to trip him.

30% Miss Chance (Roll Twice Because of Murky-Eyed Flaw): 1D100 = [36] = 36
1D100 = [77] = 77

SUCCESS! Neither result was equal to or below 30.

Greatsword Armed Melee Touch Attack To Trip The Doppleganger VS. AC 19: 1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23

HIT. Tim must now roll a Strength check, which the Doppleganger will be able to oppose.
Tim's Rolls: 1d20 +7 (Strength) +4 (Size)

_: 1D20+11 = [11]+11 = 22

Big Tim's Strength Check = 22.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mutt tries to bite the creature as it passes, but its fangs are repelled by the shield of force.
Tim snarls, "No so fast, my friend. Take a load off!"

Tim expertly places the flat of his blade between the running creature's feet, in an effort to trip him.

30% Miss Chance (Roll Twice Because of Murky-Eyed Flaw): 1D100 = [36] = 36
1D100 = [77] = 77

SUCCESS! Neither result was equal to or below 30.

Greatsword Armed Melee Touch Attack To Trip The Doppleganger VS. AC 19: 1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23
HIT. Tim must now roll a Strength check, which the Doppleganger will be able to oppose.
Tim's Rolls: 1d20 +7 (Strength) +4 (Size)

_: 1D20+11 = [11]+11 = 22
Big Tim's Strength Check = 22.
As the doppelganger shifts to avoid Mutt's biting teeth, it fails to react quickly enough to avoid Tim's blade. The shapeshifter topples over in a gangly heap and it makes a mournful hissing sound. "No fair."

The fight has seem to have gone out of it, as it doesn't try to crawl away. "It surrenders to you. Mercy? Do not kill."

Tim can see that its black blood seeps out of several wounds out onto the cobblestone street. Its breathing is ragged.

OOC: The doppelganger can oppose with a Dexterity check too, not that its going to matter with that roll! Need a 19 or 20!

Doppelganger - Dexterity check to oppose trip attempt: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15

Nope.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim stares at the cowering creature for a moment, before saying: "I would not normally spare someone who bragged, as you did, about your skills as a murderer. But lucky for you, my gut instinct tells me not to kill you; HOWEVER, if you want to live, you'd better start talking NOW. Give us reason to spare you. Answer our questions, and tell us everything we desire to know."

Tim momentarily glances back at his compatriots; It is obvious that he feels that someone besides himself should be leading the questioning.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim stares at the cowering creature for a moment, before saying: "I would not normally spare someone who bragged, as you did, about your skills as a murderer. But lucky for you, my gut instinct tells me not to kill you; HOWEVER, if you want to live, you'd better start talking NOW. Give us reason to spare you. Answer our questions, and tell us everything we desire to know."

Tim looks back at his compatriots; It is obvious that he feels that someone besides himself should be leading the questioning.
"Yes, yes, ask and I will answer. I will tell you where more bodies lie and what you do not know about my kind here in this place. There are more than me, but not as sk-..." it pauses. "The other don't have my mind or cunning. We are many here, dozens of others. A few more within these walls but more in the other districts. The place you call New City is ripe with opportunities, yes. But most live in the Undercity. Safer there."

Vinccenzo listens to its words and looks at the creature with contempt. It is a stain on society. The Sectarian Guard can tell immediately that the creature's motives are completely selfish and that it will tell them anything to save its hide. Likely, it will try to flee. He sighs, shaking his head. But its not Vinccenzo's place to kill the creature outright. The commanders of the Bluffside Regulars will want to interrogate this prisoner and execute it publicly.

"It's not telling the entire truth," he says to the others. "I do believe that there might be others of its kind here, but I doubt there are as many as it says there are. Definitely not dozens. That's an obvious lie."

"No, no! I swear what Mani say is true!"

"It has no intention of being locked away. It is just trying to survive long enough to find a way to escape." He pauses. "However, there is a bigger picture here. The leaders of the Regulars will want to interrogate it and my own commanders as well. Even The Five might want to question it. Personally, I'd kill it. But as a sworn protector of the city, I must do my duty and bring this wretched thing to the proper authorities."

"I know much about the inner workings of this place. The hidden things that no one else sees. I know you seek the renegade. The one people are afraid to speak of, even his name. They fear him almost as much as me. A few of my kind work for him. Capture people to take into his magical place. They come and go. But I do not work for him. Mani bows to no master."

"That, might be true," Vinccenzo says looking at Tim. He turns back to the doppelganger. "How many? The truth this time!"

It sighs. "There are three that follow him. Another of my kind lives in the Undercity. It has taken the form of a man called Wendill Upton and runs a stall called Far & Away. It doesn't know of me nor it is connected to the one called Phelix."

"Did you kill Mayor Hollingsworth?"

"No, no! That was not me. It would be stupid to bring the force of Old City down on my head. While i do not know, I think his wife killed him."

Vinccenzo nods to the others that it seems that part is true.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim's eyes narrow, as a guttural growl escapes his throat: "I'm losing my patience with your LIES, weakling! If you continue to decieve us, I'll put your carcass on a spit and eat you for DINNER!" As he says that last word, he slams the blade of his greatsword against the cobblestones next to the thing's head, causing sparks to fly.

Intimidate Check (STR-Based) vs. Doppleganger: 1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23

If size also plays a factor, typical size bonus (+4) would make it 27. But that's your call. I'm happy with the result either way. :cool:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim's eyes narrow, as a guttural growl escapes his throat: "I'm losing my patience with your LIES, weakling! If you continue to decieve us, I'll put your carcass on a spit and eat you for DINNER!" As he says that last word, he slams the blade of his greatsword against the cobblestones next to the thing's head, causing sparks to fly.

Intimidate Check (STR-Based) vs. Doppleganger: 1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23

If size also plays a factor, typical size bonus (+4) would make it 27. But that's your call. I'm happy with the result either way. :cool:
The doppelganger flinches slightly as the sparks hit its face. It looks passively at Tim but its expression is too alien to judge.

"I will tell you what I know, but how I see the world isn't the same as you might see it, large man," it says drily. "Your bluster will not affect my knowledge of events as I know them." It pauses and shifts its form to that of an old man. The shift is nearly instantaneous. Its voice becomes old and creaky. "I have lived a long time, young ones. I know much about Bluffside and the world."

It cackles and shifts back to its natural state but then coughs up a bit of ichor. "That hurt. Must not do that again until I've healed. I will be allowed to heal, right?"

"That depends on your continued usefulness," Vinccenzo says with his arms crossed. "And no more theatrics. Or I will let my large friend 'spit' you."

"Yes, yes. I will be useful to you. You will see." It pulls itself up into a seated position and tries to staunch the blood coming from its shoulder.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: 15th level!?!?! How many racial HD, it should have dealt with us even with the disadvantage of numbers.

"I'm interested in your handywork. Who? Where? Any still alive? Do you have the antidote for the poison in that stablehand?" Akos approaches the group lowering his hands from preparation to casting.
"Thank you for the information on others. Do you know if those loyal to the renegade have some sign to use for recognition?"

"We should check that young guard. Maybe he was replaced. And we brought it back to his influential father."

Akos kneels next to the creature and binds the worst of its wounds.
"You'll live. I hope your phisiology isn't too different from humans internally. I would really like to disect you to see the connection of your joints and bone structure. But I guess it will have to wait."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck turns his little reptilian head this way and that, studying the doppelganger with both eyes in turn.

Holding his sword ready in case it makes a run for it, Tuck says softly, ”You’re a danger to innocent people. And for what? Your own amusement?”

The kobold, whose goal in life revolves largely around helping people in the city he fondly calls home, hates the doppelganger intensely.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: 15th level!?!?! How many racial HD, it should have dealt with us even with the disadvantage of numbers.
It wasn't 15th level. Remember that a level check is its HD & Levels + Wisdom modifier. It was supposed to be a tough encounter, but I rolled a 1, twice! And it was at pivotal moments that luck was against it. The first time, it was attacking with its dagger and dropped it. After that, the doppelganger wasn't as much of a physical threat beyond its psionic abilities, and for a lot of those abilities it would need line of sight.[/OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I'm interested in your handywork. Who? Where? Any still alive? Do you have the antidote for the poison in that stablehand?" Akos approaches the group lowering his hands from preparation to casting.
"Thank you for the information on others. Do you know if those loyal to the renegade have some sign to use for recognition?"
"Many, many more. A old woman here, a young soldier there. I like to display my art whenever I can, but sometimes I cannot move them for viewing by the public. The guard have found most, yes. But there are others that hang in their homes or are buried in their gardens. Old City has much greenery. I know all their faces, but I don't remember every name. I've been here a long time, and my art used to be just for me. Now, I share it with everyone. Blood and gore smeared on a step or entrails hanging from a tree."

It claps its hands. "Ooh, you saw the boy! What did you think? Did you see the bloody hand prints on the wall in the alley. That is one of my favorite pieces to day. The poison is from my blade. I dropped it. Such a useful brush." Its shoulders sink. "I will not be able to paint with it again." It sighs. "So sad."

"I think I'm going to be sick," Vinccenzo says.

"Hmm, why? Not an art lover are you?" It cackles like a raven. "There is the older woman in the cart. I painted her before the boy. She is quite the work of art even before mu brush cut her deep. She is near the boy but lost her spark for life quickly. Fear helps me paint and she was more sad than afraid." It looks at Akos. "Why would I leave my artwork alive? They would move and ruin the art. No, all are dead. Glassy eyes and hollowed out guts."

It sees the faces glaring back at it and rolls its eyes. "Everyone's a critic." It sighs again. "The others don't have a signal to each other. We are telepathic beings. We know each other without making hand gestures. They may have a signal to your kind working for Phelix, but I do not know it. I am not his servant and don't care to be his thrall."

Neurotic said:
"We should check that young guard. Maybe he was replaced. And we brought it back to his influential father."
"The one you were chasing? Nathaniel Aceron. He is not one of us. I do not know if they have taken the forms of any of the guards. If they have, I've never noticed them in such forms. But, they rarely venture beyond the wards closest to the Gardens and I do not go into the Gardens. Risky. The renegade does have human followers among the guards. While Young Aceron is not one of them, he likes bribes. Give him coin, and he looks the other way."

Vinccenzo shakes his head in frustration. "Corruption amongst the Regulars is not new."

"Yes, but it is who he takes bribes from is the key. I have seen him an another guard." it pauses to think. "I don't recall his name. He is a scruffy fellow who drinks a lot. Young Aceron gets his bribes from the scruffy one, and from Sabela Abreu. She is in league with the renegade and the leader of the Brelish Thieves Guild here in Bluffside. She and Phelix are old friends, yes." It pauses again to let that sink in. "I know this because I have been there after painting one of her thieves that discovered my identity. I killed him and buried him under the old windmill outside the district. His name was Rees, Rees the Rat. I took his form and went there to make sure no one else had discovered me. I left quickly once I realized a whole guild uses it a front. Yes, too risky."

"I've never heard of her."

"You are Sectarian not Regular. Your kind rarely leaves the Wizard District, yes?"

"Yes, but times are changing."

"Phelix makes all in Bluffside nervous, afraid. Good for my art."

OOC: I think you mean Kaleb Raupach, right?

Sabela Abreu is the owner of the Delicate Delight Eatery, which sits near the walls dividing the Gardens from Old City.

Neurotic said:
Akos kneels next to the creature and binds the worst of its wounds.
"You'll live. I hope your phisiology isn't too different from humans internally. I would really like to disect you to see the connection of your joints and bone structure. But I guess it will have to wait."
"I thank you. But, if I still die, you have my permission to paint me, yes. Just make sure you display my body with flare. All of Bluffside must see me as artwork after death, yes."

Tuck turns his little reptilian head this way and that, studying the doppelganger with both eyes in turn.

Holding his sword ready in case it makes a run for it, Tuck says softly, ”You’re a danger to innocent people. And for what? Your own amusement?”

The kobold, whose goal in life revolves largely around helping people in the city he fondly calls home, hates the doppelganger intensely.
It sighs. "Another art critic. I am surprised, Your people are good painters. Bloodied many gnomes and humans... I have seen. Do you not paint your foes with your brushes of steel. Your wolf has sharp teeth and its bites must be beautiful to behold."

It looks at the bandages on its legs and torso. "Yes, I do love my art. Blood is so pretty. Why would I not be amused by by own work. I do what I love. And, the innocent are more afraid than the guilty. The fear makes the art all the sweeter." It looks longingly at Mutt before glancing back at Tuck. "I see you do not agree."

"I can't," Vinccenzo says. "No more."

He walks off into the fog more than dozen feet and paces back and forth, obviously troubled.

Remove ads