Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Tuck, can you and Mutt find Mani's dagger in the fog? It is poisoned, so be careful. It may contain the antidote, but it will be useful in any case. Mani, we will divest you of your items and secure you. Don't resist."

Raising away from the creature and rubbing his hands clean he adds
"Mani has many dangerous items on him and many are magical. I advise cleaning him up. At the very least there is a mask, amulet, ring, and wand of the most obvious ones."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim stares at the creature with a look of disgust. His demeanor and tone change almost instantly. He is calm, cool, collected, polite. "So that's how you'd like to play it, eh? The misunderstood genius, at odds with a society which holds beliefs alien to his own, a society incapable of sharing his vision, because of its own, short-sightedness? So be it. My 'bluster,' as you put it, was to serve a purpose; alas, my ruse failed, because I am more a knight than I am an actor. Nevertheless, I have never left a task untried in the performance of my duty. Your cooperation thusfar has been appreciated; but my friend is correct. You should not resist. Doing so would mean your death. And as you have seen, I'm not much of an artist. I don't think you'd like the way that I would paint you."

Like Breva, Tim is keeping a close eye on Mani, his blade at the ready, leveled at the creature, but not close enough for him to grab it.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Tuck, can you and Mutt find Mani's dagger in the fog? It is poisoned, so be careful. It may contain the antidote, but it will be useful in any case. Mani, we will divest you of your items and secure you. Don't resist."

Immediately Tuck starts looking around in the fog, Mutt following enthusiastically. The dog seems mostly interested in playing, however.

”Found it!” the kobold soon cries out as he takes a piece of cloth from his bag to carefully pick up the blade without touching it.

OOC: Rolls made in OOC thread. No relevant poison-related abilities or Appraise proficiency, however.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The doppelganger slumps its features noticeably. "Take my treasures," it says. "Not as important as my life."

Neurotic said:
Raising away from the creature and rubbing his hands clean he adds
"Mani has many dangerous items on him and many are magical. I advise cleaning him up. At the very least there is a mask, amulet, ring, and wand of the most obvious ones."
Breva does not relax his guard as the doppleganger is interogatated. He grips his sword tighter when the magic items are pointed out, ready to lop the head from the creature at the first sign of trouble.
As Akos removes all the doppelganger's items, its true features become more clear. Removing the crystal mask reveals a old and scarred face. Its limbs are frail and its skin hangs awkwardly in places. Breva can tell the creature is quite old for one of its kind. Its skin is mottled and full of wrinkles.

Tim stares at the creature with a look of disgust. His demeanor and tone change almost instantly. He is calm, cool, collected, polite. "So that's how you'd like to play it, eh? The misunderstood genius, at odds with a society which holds beliefs alien to his own, a society incapable of sharing his vision, because of its own, short-sightedness? So be it. My 'bluster,' as you put it, was to serve a purpose; alas, my ruse failed, because I am more a knight than I am an actor. Nevertheless, I have never left a task untried in the performance of my duty. Your cooperation thusfar has been appreciated; but my friend is correct. You should not resist. Doing so would mean your death. And as you have seen, I'm not much of an artist. I don't think you'd like the way that I would paint you."

Like Breva, Tim is keeping a close eye on Mani, his blade at the ready, leveled at the creature, but not close enough for him to grab it.
"Genius... alas... thusfar," the doppelganger mimics back to Tim. "I like your words. There is an art to them, yes." It notes the sword. "Quite the brush. No need to paint. Not resisting. No, no." It pauses. "Am I a misunderstood genius? Hmm, maybe I am. But you think me just another monster with a taste for blood. Personally, I prefer my food cooked, and it is easier to blend in by eating venison. Fear tastes better than blood, yes."

Immediately Tuck starts looking around in the fog, Mutt following enthusiastically. The dog seems mostly interested in playing, however.

”Found it!” the kobold soon cries out as he takes a piece of cloth from his bag to carefully pick up the blade without touching it.

OOC: Rolls made in OOC thread. No relevant poison-related abilities or Appraise proficiency, however.
Tuck can see that the blade of this black dagger has a serrated edge. While its pommel is well worn, the blade looks razor sharp. There doesn't seem to be anything smeared on the blade but that might be a trick of the fog. He has to hold the blade away from Mutt to keep the big dog from sniffing at it.

"My brush," Mani says with excitement. "Oh, I do hope someone else will paint with it again. Alas," he looks at Tim. "It isn't for me to pain with anymore." The shapechanger becomes sullen again and there is a darkness in its eyes. It doesn't struggle as it is tied up, although it winces when the knots are pulled tight.

"We should get it off the street and find shelter ourselves," Vinccenzo suggests out in the fog. "The fog is getting worse. Soon, we won't be able to see our hands in front of our face. There should be a guard post around here somewhere, but I don't know Old City very well." He finds his way to the others. "Any ideas?"

"May I recommend-" Mani tries to say.

"No you may not!"

OOC: A Knowledge (local) check (DC 10) will get you guys to a guard post. There are also several posh taverns and inns in the area (DC 15), closer towards the district's southern gate. (That is also the gate that Mani says young Nathaniel Aceron was heading towards.) While there will be guards on duty at the gate, taking the doppelganger away from the Palace and the Regulars Barracks might not be the best idea. Finding your way through the fog either to the barracks or back to Oakfirst Manor is a DC 20 check. (I will also post this on the OOC thread.)

JustinCase

"I know the way," Tuck says confidently, then looks around for any landmarks. He hesitates. The fog covers everything, and what little the kobold does see, is remarkably like any other thing in the City.

"Aren't we near the Old Cuckoo's Nest?" asks Vincenzo, trying to help.

"No, no, that's over on the other side of... Wait, do you mean the Cuckoo's Feathers Inn, or the Old Peacock Nest?"

Tuck has never felt so lost in his own City...

OOC: Natural 1 on my Knowledge (local) check! What an embarrasment for an urban ranger! ;)

knowledge local: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7

Combined with the natural 1 from Vincenzo to Aid Another, I'd say we're truly lost. :D

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Since Mani can change shape the binding will at most slow him down. Keep your hands on him."

Akos adds two loops over Mani's knees. He leaves the rope long enough for normal walk, but it still should hinder it.
"There is a guardpost that way. It is the closest thing. I wouldn't go through this fog to look for the barracks. We can...it may just take some time."

Knowledge (Local): 1D20+11 = [4]+11 = 15
OOC: the rope around the knees with about 1 foot of rope between. Should be enough for normal step...add few inches more it Mani is unusually tall.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I know the way," Tuck says confidently, then looks around for any landmarks. He hesitates. The fog covers everything, and what little the kobold does see, is remarkably like any other thing in the City.

"Aren't we near the Old Cuckoo's Nest?" asks Vinccenzo, trying to help.

"No, no, that's over on the other side of... Wait, do you mean the Cuckoo's Feathers Inn, or the Old Peacock Nest?"

Tuck has never felt so lost in his own City...

OOC: Natural 1 on my Knowledge (local) check! What an embarrasment for an urban ranger! ;)

knowledge local: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7

Combined with the natural 1 from Vincenzo to Aid Another, I'd say we're truly lost. :D
"The Old Peacock Nest? I thought it burnt down last year, At least, that's what I heard," Vinccenzo replies. "I meant the Cuckoo's Feathers. I think it is that way," he points towards the north.

Mani snickers quietly.

"Since Mani can change shape the binding will at most slow him down. Keep your hands on him."

Akos adds two loops over Mani's knees. He leaves the rope long enough for normal walk, but it still should hinder it.
"There is a guardpost that way. It is the closest thing. I wouldn't go through this fog to look for the barracks. We can...it may just take some time."

Knowledge (Local): 1D20+11 = [4]+11 = 15
OOC: the rope around the knees with about 1 foot of rope between. Should be enough for normal step...add few inches more it Mani is unusually tall.
"I've got him," the Sectarian Guard replies as he grabs the doppelganger by the shoulders. "Move, you." He lets Akos lead the way south, southeast past shops and old homes.

Tim takes up the rear to watch their backs. The heroes keep an eye out for more guards but the streets are completely deserted. No one else is out braving the fog this night. It takes over half a hour to find the way through the deep fog to the guard post. It grows cold and the mist seems to cling to clothes and skin and soft ice crystals form on whiskers.

"Damn, it's cold," Vinccenzo complains.

Mani shivers in the night air. "A warm cell, please. Yes. Brr!"

The guard post is a large square building that sits next to an inner gate known as Red Arch. Lights flicker from behind closed shutters and no one stands guard out front. The reinforced double wooden doors are locked. Vinccenzo bangs on the down with his fist.

"Open up," he yells. "We have a prisoner! We've caught the Old City Killer!"

There is no response from inside. The Sectarian Guard bangs again on the door, this time with the pommel of his dagger. "C'mon, open up, you lazy dogs!"

Soon a voice is yelling inside. "Shut up! And watch your tongue or I'll cut it out!" A wooden panel slides back on the other side opening up a rectangular slit just big enough to peer through. "What the Nine Hells do you want?"

"I am Vinccenzo d'Lucio of the Sectarian Guard, and we have a prisoner for your cells."

"Sectarian Guard? You're a long way from the Wizard District, duffer. Take your prisoner somewhere else. This is a Regulars post." The panel slams shut and there is laughing on the other side.

"Stupid guards," Mani chortles. "So easy to fool."

Vinccenzo sighs. "I really hate Regulars sometimes... they can be real bastards."

"I say we paint them bloody and sleep here tonight."

"Quiet!" Vinccenzo pounds on the door again and then kicks it. "The prisoner is the serial killer of Old City, you halfwits!"

The inside goes quiet and then there is mumbling and cursing. The door is unlocked and when it opens, half-a-dozen guards stand inside with their longswords drawn.

The leader steps forward and grabs Vinccenzo by the scruff of his neck. "Are you stupid! I said go away!" Then he looks and sees the adventurers arrayed at the door and his eyes bug out when he sees Big Tim. "This is your prisoner? Why isn't he in chains!"

"No, he's one of us," the Sectarian Guard motions to Mani. "This is our prisoner."

"This old woman," the Regulars guard looks at the doppelganger through the fog, which is starting to billow into the guard post. Mani has taken the shape of an old human woman and looks scared. "This is your killer! Ha! Ha! You are stupid!"

"Stop that!" Vinccenzo orders Mani.

All the old woman does is cry. "Please help me! They are crazy!"

"Let her go, now!" the guard sergeant orders. "You'll all be lucky if I don't throw you in the cells and throw away the key!"

"It's a doppelganger, you ignorant cretin!" The Sectarian Guard gets in the sergeant's face.

"Sure she is and I'm an effing dragon!" He pushes Vinccenzo backwards away from the door and moves to pull Mani away from the adventurers.

"Thank you, thank you," Mani says with glee.

"Sarge, I think recognize the big guy," one of the guards notes. "He's been working with that Elite named Custodio. They're hunting the Renegade Sorcerer."

"Custodio? That damn outcast," he pauses and looks at Mani and then a Big Tim. Then he sees Tuck. "Wait, didn't that report say that there was a kobold working with him too?"

"Yes."

Oh, bugger."

"You are going to be in so much trouble when I tell the Lord Commander about your behavior!" Vinccenzo snaps.

"Sarge?"

The guard sergeant hesitates, sword gripped firmly in his right hand, and Mani tries to step inside out of the reach of Vinccenzo and the others. "They've gone mad! Kill them! Protect me, please!"

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim's eyes narrow. He ignores the sergeant and other soldiers, speaking directly to Mani. "You know, Mani, I was willing to give you a chance. I spared you against my better judgment. But now, you are about to force my hand... Have you heard tell of terrible curses, bestowed by evil warlocks, which are only broken when the warlock who bestowed them dies? I wonder if the same goes for your disguises? If I paint you now, to use your terminology, will you still appear as a helpless old woman after your soul has departed this world? Do you want me to find out?"

OOC: Tim won't actually take action unless Mani gets loose from Vince.

Last edited:

JustinCase

Mutt growls as Mani attempts to fool his way out of this situation. The dog understands little of the conversation, but it knows that a prey is trying to escape, and it cannot allow that to happen.

"My name is Tuck," the kobold says hurriedly but politely, "And you are smart enough to know at least stories about doppelganger tricks, Anton."

The urban ranger hopes that knowing the name of one of these guards, if only because he once helped out a cousin of his with a rat infestation, can help build trust that they are, in fact, delivering a doppelganger.

OOC: Taking some liberties here, but I imagine an urban ranger who has helped people around the City for years, has a chance of knowing one of the guards. Right? ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases