Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
”What is it?” Tuck whispers to Mutt, then moves closer to that door and listens intently.

Tuck can definitely hear something moving on the other side of the door but it isn't right next to the door. The sound echoes slightly but then it stops and all Tuck hears is silence. Whatever it is either stopped moving or has gone beyond what the kobold urban ranger can hear. Tuck is certain it was footsteps he heard. His scales itch. The equivalent of hairs standing up on a human's neck.

Mutt sits in front of the door and continues to growl, low and menacing at the door.

With a weary sigh, the priest of the Seelie queen gets down, slowly, carefully, and with lots of quiet cursing and too tight clinging on the rope.

Once down, he looks at the dirt floor and with another sigh, the armor unfolds around him as he hitches his robes higher in hopes of keeping them clean for at least moments more.
Akos soon finds himself stuffed in a small room barely big enough for Tim, Tuck, and Vinccenzo let alone him and Tuck's big dog. There is a door directly to the Loremaster's right, opposite the door on the western wall. Akos can't tell if it is locked or not and he's not sure Tuck has checked all the closed doors yet. He stands under the shadow of Big Tim, who helped him down the last part of the rope. There isn't room for anyone else in the room without bumping into each other.

Custodio digs into his pack and pulls out a sunrod. He gives the alchemical device a good smack against one of the cell's metal bars and light billows out from it. He holds it over the open hole and yells, "Sunrod, coming down! Watch your heads!" He drops the device and it lands in between Big Tim and Tuck. The light fills the entire room and beyond up to 30 feet. Shadows dance in the gloom 30 feet beyond that into the second room to the north.

The light passes under the door that Tuck is investigating and he hears something skitter more loudly this time. Tuck knows that sound. He's faced off against such beasts before on the edges of the Undercity. A giant spider most likely. With the moisture on the floor, it likely won't be a giant scorpion.

"Good luck with that." says Vinny, glancing around the room
At first, Vinny can't see anything in the dark room, except the looming shadow of Tim above him and the light coming in from the hole in the guard post's floor above. Then, Custodio drops the sunrod and it is as bright as daylight in the room. Room isn't the right word for it. It's more like a closet but it smells like a privy.

He can soon see past the two open doors and the choke point beyond, which spans 15 feet before opening up into a larger room. roughly 30 feet beyond the choke point is the outline of a statue sitting along the other room's western wall. It appears to be of some sort of winged beast but its features are clear from Vinccenzo's current position.

"I'm next," Breva insists. He doesn't want to be the last one down.

"I think we should wait until there is more room," Custodio suggests. "It's way too tight down there."

"Not for me," Arcanus Noguera says.

"Arcanus, you should wait until we've secured the immediate area," Custodio replies.

The young diviner looks down into the hole. "It looks pretty secure to me."

"Arcanus, I must insist..."

"Castellana," she interrupts. "That is my name. If we're going to work together, you should use it instead of my title." She grabs the rope and easily slides down it into the room below. Almost as easily as Tuck did. She comes out next to the kobold urban ranger who is still studying the door with Mutt standing next to him. She can see that he is listening intently so she stays quiet and distracts Mutt by patting him on the head.

"Well, I guess she's more than a diviner," Custodio says with a smile. He takes a hold of the rope and hands it Breva. "After you, but let's wait a moment." Then, he looks at Falen. "Then you're next. I'll go last."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"We need to move, this is too risky." Akos says as he tries the door next to him.

OOC: action: try the door, no opening yet, just to chech if it is locked.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva stands ready sword in hand for whatever might be revealed by the door.
Custodio and Falen wait for Breva to descend the rope into the room below. By the time he reaches the bottom, the group is packed together like sardines in a metal tin. Tuck is forced to get on top of Mutt and the big dog bumps his butt into Tim's knee. Breva watches as Akos tries the door in front of him and Tuck tries to sooth Mutt's discomfort. Vinccenzo has put himself against the wall opposite of where Breva lands in the room.

The arcanus, Castellana, is forced to move into open doorway, after she scoops up the sunrod, to make room for the paladin's descent into the room. She hold it up high and studies the room beyond. "There are definitely two statues in the next room," she says softly to the others. "I can't tell if they're just statues. They appear bestial with what looks like wings."

"We need to move, this is too risky." Akos says as he tries the door next to him.

OOC: action: try the door, no opening yet, just to check if it is locked.
Akos risks checking the knob of the door and he finds that it is unlocked. The door isn't stuck either. No trap springs and no audible magical alarm goes off. With one hand on the door knob, his robe is soon brushing against the slickness of the floor. Dampness seeps into the garment's fringes.

"This place certainly does smell evil," Castellana says. The young arcanus covers her face with a cloth and tries not to gag.

The small room was warm and damp initially but now with so many bodies in it, the perceived temperature begins to rise. Everyone is soon sweating and the smell of the previous fight against the Rising Swords begins to fill the small space.

The heat reminds Big Tim of the steam baths in the capital city of Vrocia, Ilfrey, on his home world, although the smell is less man sweat and more open sewer grate. The Imperial Valleys of Almagra are often bitterly cold, so the heat of the city's steam baths were always welcome after a long day.

For Tuck, the heat and smell isn't any worse for him than the Undercity on a busy day in the Cavern Harbor during high summer, and the tight quarters are no different than the Coach & Six Market during its weekly night markets.

Custodio stands ready to help Falen descend into the room, but the half-hobgoblin insists on waiting until the group spreads out beyond the first room, as he doesn't want to become a sardine in a can. Being packed together is risky.

'How did I get here?' Falen thinks.

He's found himself roped into a band of adventurers headed into danger. Normally that's not a problem for Falen as he's adventurered before, but he didn't really have time to prepare for a dungeon crawl. Still, if there are answers to his questions down below, or, at least, clues about how to get into and out of this Phelix's Del Cannitha's demiplane safely, it will be worth it. At the very least, The Dusk won't be looking for him underground, he hopes.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Giant spider," Tuck whispers, motioning to the door Mutt was growling at. "Let's leave it be for now."

The kobold briefly listens at the other doors, seeming unconcerned with the lack of space with all these people. His race is used to even more packing together. Then he shrugs and faces the corridor, with the two statues.

OOC: Is the door Akos tried, the same Tuck and Mutt were inspecting?

Listen checks for the other two doors:
1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim ponders the matter briefly, before making a suggestion: "Tuck, check the narrow corridor, to see if it's trapped. If not, why don't you all move into it, and leave me here. I can fight well in this space, if I don't have people crowding me. Then I can open whichever door you guys want me to. I'll take the brunt of whatever we face, and you guys can provide backup. I'm good at holding off foes with Rizvan. Although, a protective spell or two before we start would also be welcome."

Tim smiles happily.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Giant spider," Tuck whispers, motioning to the door Mutt was growling at. "Let's leave it be for now."

The kobold briefly listens at the other doors, seeming unconcerned with the lack of space with all these people. His race is used to even more packing together. Then he shrugs and faces the corridor, with the two statues.

OOC: Is the door Akos tried, the same Tuck and Mutt were inspecting?

Listen checks for the other two doors:
1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13
Tuck easily gets to the door behind Tim and presses his ear to it. Mutt moves with him but his instincts to stay quiet kick in as Tuck tries to hear if there is any movement behind the door. There is only silence. He rechecks the door to make sure it is indeed unlocked. It isn't. He then moves to the door that Akos tried. He repeat his process while Mutt stays behind Tim. Again, there is only silence, although he senses a slight breeze coming from under the door. He inspects the door's knob and it isn't locked either.

Breva moves to where Tuck had been originally and the young arcanus steps back into the small room to where the paladin moved from. There is more than enough room for Castellana to stand in Tim's shadow alongside Akos. Tuck takes her position while Mutt moves to his pack mate, passing through Tim's legs.

Looking down the corridor, he sees the two statues that the arcanus pointed out. They look like statues of... gargoyles? The center section of room's floor is made of a dark metal. While it doesn't look like it is has been blackened, it has been put to either shield against something or enhance some sort of magical effect.

Tuck's scales continue to itch.

Tuck senses that the hallway is a trap or an ambush. More than likely the statues are either gargoyles holding very still, are animated objects that will attack once the group reaches a certain point in the room, or there is a trap somewhere built into the statues. There could be a pressure panel on the floor somewhere that will set something off. If there is a lever to disable a trap, it's likely closer to the room's entry point.

Tuck - Sense Motive - Hunch (DC 20): 1D20+7 = [15]+7 = 22 (success)

Tim ponders the matter briefly, before making a suggestion: "Tuck, check the narrow corridor, to see if it's trapped. If not, why don't you all move into it, and leave me here. I can fight well in this space, if I don't have people crowding me. Then I can open whichever door you guys want me to. I'll take the brunt of whatever we face, and you guys can provide backup. I'm good at holding off foes with Rizvan. Although, a protective spell or two before we start would also be welcome."

Tim smiles happily.
"I can make you more resistant to a form of magical energy," Castellana offers. "Fire, cold, or the like. It would only be against one form of magical energy, but I can guarantee to will protect you against most lesser spells and that it will last just over an hour."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"It's a trap," Tuck mutters, indicating the hallway and motioning for Tim to not move yet.

First the kobold looks at the statues from afar. "Gargoyles? Something seems off. Maybe a trap within the statues."

Then he inspects the floor, ceiling and walls, looking for any odd bits, increments or different materials and surfaces.

He picks up the pebble he threw down before, weighing it in his clawed hand to judge how best to throw it down the hallway to trigger any traps.

OOC: Search for traps in the corridor:
Search: 1D20+15 = [12]+15 = 27

If Tuck finds any and can reasonably assume it is triggered safely by the pebble, he throws it. If he finds no traps, he will throw it, too, just to make sure.

Scotley

Hero
Breva shuffles around in the tight space to enact Tims suggestion and can't help smiling as he is reminded of a country dance popular back in his mountain home. He breaks his revere and responds to Tuck. "A trap you say? There must be some way to disarm it or whatever villans use this place could not get in. If it is a secret phrase or some magic we may not be able to disarm it, but if there is some device perhaps you can find it?" He begins to look about. "Perhaps we could all help?"

OOC: Spot Check [url=CoyoteCode Dice Roller: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
[/url]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases