Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I didn't heal 'frenemies' unless they were unable to climb. If they requested it, I would, but having them semi-disabled while we're separated is a benefit. I heal them all once they are in the cells.

Akos smiles beatifically at the boys and instructs them to immediately spread the food around. He gives full silver to each of them as a reward for their efforts.

As the crowd gather he nods at those he recognizes from earlier gatherings, he positions himself so they gather in front of him and that he blocks easy access to the guardhouse.

To the food vendor he says
"Thank you, good man, it was good thinking."
Turning to the crowd and raising his voice:
"Everything you buy from this good man is on my account. But please, see to those affected by the magics first."

As the crowd reshuffles to take advantage of his offer, his armor folds back on itself leaving him exposed to attack, but also leaving the crowds to see him not as a threatening armored figure, but a man of cloth.

"Now for the tale of the battle of magics, of the hideous evil of the renegade, of the purity of faith of the heroes of The Five and bravery of the city defenders, Sectarians, Regulars and The Elite."

Entering his sing-song preaching mode and priming the crowd to hear another tale of the heroes, he attempts to sway their insecurities into determination.

"In the hidden underground, carved by the ancient magics and kept sealed from time immemorial there are secrets. Bluffside as you know it is but a latest incarnation of the great traditions that make our city so great. But at the same time, as any place built upon and built over, there are secrets. And this particular secret, found...rather stumbled upon...by the renegade holds a terrible mind-warping magics against which we fought. Once we passed through the magical defenses, the renegade tried to subvert our minds, but with the faith in our abilities, our respective gods and the confidence of The Five we fought off that assault too. Finally, we faced against the demon from hells, summoned by the sorcerer and sent against us while he made good his escape once again. As you can see, we prevailed against the demon. And the noose is tightening, the reign of terror will soon end."

Taking a deep breath, Akos shakes his head
"I already know about the attacks against The Five. It is obvious now that this 'lead' was just a trap to hold us, but you may have noticed that the attacks are getting more desperate. While you, good citizens of Bluffside are suffering in the crossfire, DO NOT let the The Loyalists frighten you or intimidate you. Keep your spirits up because ultimately, they are on the losing side. Some of you will remember a street fight couple of days ago where even foul gods couldn't help them against our combined might. And The Five are mightier still. Keep your wits about, take care of your families and the renegade will soon be only a story for your grandchildren of the times when Bluffside was reeling, but rallied and prevailed in the end. Times change and the mores may have to change. But that is the nature of time. It changes us all and no law, no society can survive without change. But Bluffside will continue. As always."

He waves the hands away from him
"Now go! And remember, you're not alone. In the darkest of times, heroes raise from the common fold, common and noble alike, those who will take the mantle and pain of resistance so The City can live! Go, and tell your families things are coming to a head. Go, and know this nightmare will be over."

Diplomacy: 1D20+24 = [9]+24 = 33

Scotley

Hero
Breva moves to lend aid and distribute food. He soon hears Akos' words and feels obligated to speak as well. "The loremaster has shared much wisdom. We have learned much about the enemies of the city during the last few days and well as capturing some important members of the forces arrayed against us. Our successes have forced the hand of the enemy. These latest attacks have cost them valuable agents that will be hard to replace. Bluffside will continue!"
OOC:
aid another diplomacy: 1D20+10 = [11]+10 = 21

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck smiles to himself, hearing Breva and his friend Akos turn frightened citizens into brave heroes once more. Oh, the kobold is very glad to have someone like the Loremaster here in Bluffside; he himself tries to be a beacon of hope to the people, to those most desperate, but he can never use words in such a magical way.

Making sure Mutt is satisfied with enough water and choice bits of food from his rations, Tuck ruffles the big dog’s fur and stands up. He will leave Mutt here and trust it will find its way back to him, or home, when it feels better.

”Where to now?” he asks his companions when they are out of earshot from the crowd.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: I didn't heal 'frenemies' unless they were unable to climb. If they requested it, I would, but having them semi-disabled while we're separated is a benefit. I heal them all once they are in the cells.
OOC: Okay, good to know. I wasn't sure.

Neurotic said:
Akos smiles beatifically at the boys and instructs them to immediately spread the food around. He gives full silver to each of them as a reward for their efforts.
The boys are giddy as they work to distribute the food to those affected by temporal shift. They are enriched by doing a good deed as much as by the Loremaster's silver.

Neurotic said:
As the crowd gather he nods at those he recognizes from earlier gatherings, he positions himself so they gather in front of him and that he blocks easy access to the guardhouse.

To the food vendor he says
"Thank you, good man, it was good thinking."
Turning to the crowd and raising his voice:
"Everything you buy from this good man is on my account. But please, see to those affected by the magics first."

As the crowd reshuffles to take advantage of his offer, his armor folds back on itself leaving him exposed to attack, but also leaving the crowds to see him not as a threatening armored figure, but a man of cloth.
The man nods in acknowledgement as he helps up a young woman who looks pale and bit green. She takes some water but she doesn't have the stomach for food. The man helps her to a stone bench at the side of the street opposite the guard post. Several others also affected by the nausea effect of labyrinth being closed and sealed also find their way to the bench with the help of the boys. An old man hit his head when he fell and is bleeding from a wound on his forehead.

"A few others at the market were also left in this state, but we managed to get most of them upright," the man says to Akos as he tends to the old man's injuries. He seems to have some skills as a healer as he gets the bleeding under control. "I mixed some crushed peppermint leaves with water and seemed to help them."

He goes into a satchel and pulls out a bundle of herbs. He crushes them up in his hands and put them in a clay mug that he fills with water. He offers it to the woman and she drinks it down. It seems to soothe her stomach. The man mixes up more peppermint water for anyone who needs it.

Neurotic said:
"Now for the tale of the battle of magics, of the hideous evil of the renegade, of the purity of faith of the heroes of The Five and bravery of the city defenders, Sectarians, Regulars and The Elite."

Entering his sing-song preaching mode and priming the crowd to hear another tale of the heroes, he attempts to sway their insecurities into determination.

"In the hidden underground, carved by the ancient magics and kept sealed from time immemorial there are secrets. Bluffside as you know it is but a latest incarnation of the great traditions that make our city so great. But at the same time, as any place built upon and built over, there are secrets. And this particular secret, found...rather stumbled upon...by the renegade holds a terrible mind-warping magics against which we fought. Once we passed through the magical defenses, the renegade tried to subvert our minds, but with the faith in our abilities, our respective gods and the confidence of The Five we fought off that assault too. Finally, we faced against the demon from hells, summoned by the sorcerer and sent against us while he made good his escape once again. As you can see, we prevailed against the demon. And the noose is tightening, the reign of terror will soon end."
The crowd gathers around Akos and listens to him. Most are keen to hear his words but many stand back from the 'cursed' gate and the guard post, unwilling to get to close. There are voices in the crowd that murmur "the renegade?" and "that damn sorcerer is responsible for this too!"

It is at this point that the guards stationed at the Masque Arch appear at the other end of the street. There are six of them and they make their way towards the crowd and Akos. The Loremaster doesn't know any of them by name, but he's seen a few of their faces over the last few days. They are Regulars, not Elites.

Neurotic said:
Taking a deep breath, Akos shakes his head
"I already know about the attacks against The Five. It is obvious now that this 'lead' was just a trap to hold us, but you may have noticed that the attacks are getting more desperate. While you, good citizens of Bluffside are suffering in the crossfire, DO NOT let the The Loyalists frighten you or intimidate you. Keep your spirits up because ultimately, they are on the losing side. Some of you will remember a street fight couple of days ago where even foul gods couldn't help them against our combined might. And The Five are mightier still. Keep your wits about, take care of your families and the renegade will soon be only a story for your grandchildren of the times when Bluffside was reeling, but rallied and prevailed in the end. Times change and the mores may have to change. But that is the nature of time. It changes us all and no law, no society can survive without change. But Bluffside will continue. As always."
Many in the crowd move in closer to hear Akos speak. Their fear of the gate isn't as strong as the rousing words of the Loremaster. The boys that he gave silvers to move to the front of the ring of people and are completely transfixed on Akos. Many of the gathered citizens of Old City are soon nodding their heads in agreement with the Loremaster's assurances.

The guards stay at the back of the crowd and do not interrupt Akos' story.

Neurotic said:
He waves the hands away from him
"Now go! And remember, you're not alone. In the darkest of times, heroes raise from the common fold, common and noble alike, those who will take the mantle and pain of resistance so The City can live! Go, and tell your families things are coming to a head. Go, and know this nightmare will be over."

Diplomacy: 1D20+24 = [9]+24 = 33
The gathered crowd cheers and many praise the Heroes of Old City. Others call them the Exemplars of Bluffside. As they gather around Akos to ask for his blessing...

Breva moves to lend aid and distribute food. He soon hears Akos' words and feels obligated to speak as well. "The loremaster has shared much wisdom. We have learned much about the enemies of the city during the last few days and well as capturing some important members of the forces arrayed against us. Our successes have forced the hand of the enemy. These latest attacks have cost them valuable agents that will be hard to replace. Bluffside will continue!"
OOC:
aid another diplomacy: 1D20+10 = [11]+10 = 21
Breva's words rouse a few more spirits, especially those watching from the fringes... those unwilling to go near the gate, despite Akos' tale and rousing speech. His words seem to have more effect on the guards who respect him and his god. The Purifier is a popular deity among the Regulars.

As the people crowd in around Akos, the guards come up to Breva. "We are glad to see that are still alive, Sir Breva." The Lord Commander had feared the worst and he was unwilling to send any of us down into that place without more information from the Wizard Council. The head of the House of Divinations cast several spells to try to figure out what was happening here, but she was unsuccessful." He looks towards Akos who is being treated like a holy man by the citizens of Old City. "You think he'll be alright?"

"I don't think we have to worry about him," Custodio says. The Vanquisher cleric walks out of the door of the guard post into the street. The nausea has left him completely. "They love him." He pauses. "Almost too much... but better that the rage of the mob."

As Custodio tells the guard captain (who calls himself "Bertram Pare") the less glamourous version of what Akos told the crowd, several citizens gather around Breva and ask for the blessing of the Purifier. Some offer to go to the Temple District and make offerings to the Purifier. "Although that will have to wait until Martial Law is lifted in the district. It was put in place last night," a young man says to Breva. "Lord Varian wishes to try to keep a firm control on Old City. These damn Loyalists have been attacking in broad daylight! So brazen!"

"Akos mentioned attacks on The Five?" Custodio asks motioning to the Loremaster. He heard Akos' speech.

"Here," Bertram pulls a broadsheet out of his belt and hands it to Custodio. "I figured you'd want to see this right away." He motions for Breva to take a look as well.

"This is outrageous!" Custodio snaps in anger. "The Loyalists have done all this while we've been in that damn labyrinth! I swear I'm going to gut Waldo the instant we catch him!"

"This renegade seems to have an infinite number of sycophants willing to die for him," the guard captain adds. "The Rising Swords helped in the attack on the Tribunal too. Of the magistrates that were killed, two of them have been raised from the dead but the other man's soul was unwilling... or lost."

Tuck smiles to himself, hearing Breva and his friend Akos turn frightened citizens into brave heroes once more. Oh, the kobold is very glad to have someone like the Loremaster here in Bluffside; he himself tries to be a beacon of hope to the people, to those most desperate, but he can never use words in such a magical way.
Captain Pare pauses to look at Tuck before turning to speak to Breva and Custodio. "They also attacked several guard posts in New City but were badly beaten by the Elites and Regulars arrayed throughout the district. But, the fighting was bloody. Their attacks in the Undercity were even more vicious. They seem to be going after anyone allied with you, that you've been in contact with, or that are your kin."

He pauses again and motions for Breva to come in closer. He whispers so the citizens can't hear. "The Rising Swords even attacked the Castle of Purification just last night. That is where Lord Wellington is recovering. While they didn't even come close to getting into the temple, the fight lasted nearly an hour. We didn't have any extra guards to send to help the Purifiers. We are beyond stretched to the limit." The captain motions to his team of Regulars. "We are responsible for not only the Masque Arch, but also the Actors' Gate. I've left two others to stand guard at both, but we have to get back right away."

JustinCase said:
Making sure Mutt is satisfied with enough water and choice bits of food from his rations, Tuck ruffles the big dog’s fur and stands up. He will leave Mutt here and trust it will find its way back to him, or home, when it feels better.

”Where to now?” he asks his companions when they are out of earshot from the crowd.
"You better go see Lord Commander Oakfirst," Captain Pare suggests. "I don't have anyone to spare to go tell him of your return. He is probably at the barracks or in the Palace. With both Lady Pomander and Lord Wellington recovering, it has fallen to Lord Blander and Lord Varian to run the day to day operations of the city. Lord Varian is now officially the Lord Mayor of the city. The confirmation process was expediated to try to show stability to the people. They haven't named a replacement for Lord Hollingsworth yet, but I expect that will happen very soon."

He motions for his guards to head back to their posts. "I cannot wait any longer. When you see the Lord Commander, please tell him I need more Regulars. I'll even take green recruits at this point. We haven't slept for over a day."

Tuck can see that the guard captain looks like he is ready to fall over, as are his Regulars. The three men and two woman look ragged and they are on edge. If the rest of the Regulars and Elites are in this state, the city could be on the verge of outright chaos. Hearing about attacks in the Undercity is troubling and Tuck wonders how the kobolds down there are doing. Of course, it would be stupid for the Loyalists to brazenly attack Tuck's people but these fanatics don't seem to care about dying for Waldo.

"Thank you, captain," Custodio says. "We will go see the Lord Commander right away." The Vanquisher cleric goes back into the guard post to collect the others. "It seems the Loyalists and Rising Swords have attacked more than one member of The Five." He shows the broadsheet to Tim and Vinccenzo.

He goes to the cells and glares at Lowenan. "You didn't tell us everything, it seems!"

"I told you want I know," Lowenan replies calmly. "Phelix doesn't share all his plans with those that he deems expendable. And I did not know I was expendable to him."

"I don't believe you," Custodio snaps. "If I had my way, I'd kill you right here."

"You need to listen to me," Lowenan says. "Phelix is very dangerous man with many allies. He has promised these allies a place in Bluffside once he's conquered it. That is his goal, right now. He will do anything to achieve it, as it will allow him to have a power base to plan to return to Khasan and become the head of the Del Cannitha Family. He wants to rule over that city too." He pauses. "Yes, I admit that peace was probably never truly on his mind. He only respects power." He turns to look at Tim. "He can sense you and your allies growing power, and he is determined to stop you all, especially the Loremaster." He turns back to Custodio. "You say that he has implemented other plans that I didn't know. That doesn't surprise me. Why does it continue to surprise you?"

He sighs and shakes his head. "I would say you should all flee the city, but I know you will never do that, so, I will simply say to you... trust no one. He has many vipers among the Regulars and Elites, as well as among the nobility. And, no, I don't know their names. Meetings were always cloaked in magic and shadow. There are a few that I suspect, but I am not sure. Phelix keeps that information for himself. Well... maybe the gnome knows."

Last edited:

Neurotic

If the crowd dispersed or is at least clearing out and Akos could hear the part of not sleeping
"Captain, Guards, if you allow me, I can refresh you, we cannot have our best falling aslwep on duty. It will not replace real sleep, but it will hold you for a time. No side effects that I know of. "
OOC: this is ofcourse Vernal touch (this is the first time these condition play such a big role in the campaign, cool power for that)
--- elsewhere ---
He helped those worst affected and (assuming the street healer didn't) healed the man with the bloody head.

The rest of the spells go into wounded allies, leaving only one spell in case we're attacked again.

"We should take the prisoners with us." he suggests to the group "they are too dangerous to be left alone and the guards cannot be spared to guard them. I'd also mask them, no sense in someone recognizing them and potentially endangering their families."

Last edited:

Neurotic

Thinking some more, he asks
"I know Lowenan broke the law, his oath and he is a sorcerer, but he and the company raise some good points. That tower wizard, Silagord, he had nothing to fear from being a sorcerer, he is a wizard, and yet, he chose to join the other side. Shouldn't we raise the awareness of the dissatisfaction with the current situation with The Five? Does anyone know history of this sorcerer dislike in Bluffside?"

Just a reminder, Akos is not known as a warlock, just a fey priest :)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
While standing next to Akos, in the presence of the crowd, after his rousing speech, Tim makes a joke, to reinforce the abilities of the heroes: "Look at this. My good silk shirt is ruined from the scorch marks made by the demon's flames. I don't suppose any one of you fine people know of a good tailor?"

Later, with Custodio in the guard post, talking to Lowenan:

Tim ponders what Lowenan and Akos have discussed: "I wonder if we're approaching this the wrong way? Who are these people, the collective known as the Del Cannitha family? Where are they? What is known of them? I plan to research them, once I get back to Oakfirst Manor. I noticed several books on royalty and nobility in the library. But if anyone here knows anything, then perhaps we should consider robbing Waldo of his power base; what if we could turn the Del Cannitha family against him? Or, if they are of a similar disposition to him, what if we could arrest the lot of them, and seize their lands and wealth? I know that's probably a tall order, but not so much with the power of The Five behind us. Just a wild thought, but one that might have value, eventually."

Neurotic

"My understanding is that he is a pariah of the family. I could have gotten that wrong, ofcourse, but that's how I think it is."
Akos thinks for a moment
"If they want him captured or killed we might have some extra support from them, but don't count on The Five having enough influence in far away city to have the whole noble family arrested."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim nods, saying, "Ah, forgive my ignorance. I assumed that they were a noble family of Bluffside, otherwise, how could having power and influence HERE possibly give him an advantage in a distant and foreign land? No matter; in light of this, I believe that our best option is to seek their advice, and, if they offer it, their assistance as well."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While standing next to Akos, in the presence of the crowd, after his rousing speech, Tim makes a joke, to reinforce the abilities of the heroes: "Look at this. My good silk shirt is ruined from the scorch marks made by the demon's flames. I don't suppose any one of you fine people know of a good tailor?"
Tim manages to get some guffaws from the crowd. A young waif recommends a tailoring shop in Old City's Cliffside Ward known as the Stitch Witch. "Miss Ghali's fashions are the best in Old City and she does special requests for adventurers and the Elite."

If the crowd dispersed or is at least clearing out and Akos could hear the part of not sleeping
"Captain, Guards, if you allow me, I can refresh you, we cannot have our best falling asleep on duty. It will not replace real sleep, but it will hold you for a time. No side effects that I know of. "
Most of the citizens in the crowd begin to disperse back to their work or homes. They take the knowledge that the 'temporal magic' has been ends and that the Exemplars have survived and returned. The news will likely spread like a wildfire burning across a dry grassland. Others seem unwilling to leave the presence of Akos, Breva, and Big Tim who are quickly becoming celebrated for their deeds and words.

Falen watches the fanfare from a distance. It isn't his way to become famous. You cannot blend into a crowd when people are always looking at you. He stays behind Tuck and lets the others take the lead. He might need to build a new identity to use while mingling with these large crowds.

Captain Pare welcomes the Loremaster's aid for him and his fellow guards. "If you can spare the magic," the captain says.

Once Akos refreshes the guards, each one of them thanks him even going so far as to shake the Loremaster's hand. The captain says a quick "good bye and good luck" to you all before he and his squad head back towards the Masque Arch. They escort home a few citizens that were laid low by the temporal shift.

Neurotic said:
OOC: this is of course Vernal Touch (this is the first time these condition play such a big role in the campaign, cool power for that)
--- elsewhere ---
He helped those worst affected and (assuming the street healer didn't) healed the man with the bloody head.

The rest of the spells go into wounded allies, leaving only one spell in case we're attacked again.
OOC: It is a really cool ability that definitely helps with the current situation. I'm assuming Akos is also helping all the guards assigned to the Gate of Scales. At some point, Akos will probably want to go find the dragori druid and use it on him again.

Neurotic said:
"We should take the prisoners with us." he suggests to the group "they are too dangerous to be left alone and the guards cannot be spared to guard them. I'd also mask them, no sense in someone recognizing them and potentially endangering their families."
"Agreed," Custodio says. "We need to get them to either the barracks or the palace." He looks back towards the guard post. "I'm not sure which is the better option. If there are other Regulars and Elites in Waldo's pocket, then who can we trust?"

He muses for a second and then goes back into the guard post to ask the recovering guards assigned to the gate a few questions. When he comes back to the guard post's doorway, he motions for you all to join them. "Mr. Vinther, he's the sergeant assigned here, thinks its best we head to the palace instead of the barracks. The commanders of the barracks are in a uproar right now and the cells are full of captured Loyalists and the few Rising Sword mercenaries that didn't fight to the death. He says that our other prisoners were taken there too. Solomon was put into isolation in the Tower while Narzissa and Mambru are being kept away from those captured during these new attacks."

The man who Tim found slumped by the table steps towards the doorway. Akos' ability to remove the nausea has gotten him and the other Elites stationed at the Gate of Scales back on their feet.

"First, thank you for your help, Loremaster. Mr. Vecchi has explained to me what happened and we are very grateful."

He motions to his fellow Elites. There are three others who are keeping an eyes on Lowenan and the others. Lady Anorna is not happy to be locked up in one of the cells. She sits next to Silagord with her arms crossed and she looks at you all with great displeasure. It doesn't take any sort of hunch to tell that she feels that she was deceived by you all.

"Second, if you head to the palace, don't expect to be able to go through the Iron Gate. It took some major engineering and magical manipulation, but The Five and the Wizard Council managed to get the gate blocked off almost right away. You'll have to go the long way through Rift Arch and The Trench. Security was being tightened throughout the district and that was before we became isolated from the rest of Old City by the magicks from down below."

"Can I make a suggestion," Lowenan says from his cell.

"No you may not!" Custodio snaps.

Thinking some more, he asks
"I know Lowenan broke the law, his oath and he is a sorcerer, but he and the company raise some good points. That tower wizard, Silagord, he had nothing to fear from being a sorcerer, he is a wizard, and yet, he chose to join the other side. Shouldn't we raise the awareness of the dissatisfaction with the current situation with The Five? Does anyone know history of this sorcerer dislike in Bluffside?"
"Do not let him or his followers sway you," Custodio insists to Akos. "You cannot trust him. It doesn't matter that he is a sorcerer. He has broken his Oath and aligned with an enemy of the city. That is enough to warrant him being executed."

"I still can't believe it," Sergeant Vinther adds. "I came up under his tutelage in the Military District. For him to be a traitor is just... unbelievable."

"He has admitted it," Custodio replies to the guard sergeant. "Although now that his master has abandoned him, I think he regrets his decision." He turns back to Akos. "Silagord will have to answer to the Wizard Council. As long as he is willing to renounce his association with the commander, he might just get kicked out of Bluffside with a dagger in his hand and blank spellbook on his back." The Vanquisher cleric looks to Vinny. "I will leave it up to you to decide what do with him, Sectarian."

"Go see Lady Pomander," Lowenan says. He speaks just loud enough for them to hear him but not loud enough to be overtly threatening.

"You really need to be quiet," Custodio insists.

"I might be in your custody, d'Elite," the ex-commander replies. "But I have not been convicted of anything, yet!"

"If you don't want to make it worse for yourself and these others, you will be silent, commander," Sergeant Vinther says.

"Commander Wearne, please," Silagord pleads with his commander.

Later, with Custodio in the guard post, talking to Lowenan:

Tim ponders what Lowenan and Akos have discussed: "I wonder if we're approaching this the wrong way? Who are these people, the collective known as the Del Cannitha family? Where are they? What is known of them? I plan to research them, once I get back to Oakfirst Manor. I noticed several books on royalty and nobility in the library. But if anyone here knows anything, then perhaps we should consider robbing Waldo of his power base; what if we could turn the Del Cannitha family against him? Or, if they are of a similar disposition to him, what if we could arrest the lot of them, and seize their lands and wealth? I know that's probably a tall order, but not so much with the power of The Five behind us. Just a wild thought, but one that might have value, eventually."
"My understanding is that he is a pariah of the family. I could have gotten that wrong, of course, but that's how I think it is."
"The Lord Commander told me that the Wizard Council believes that the Del Cannithas are one of the most powerful families of the Dragonwalk Cities. They do not have any holdings in Bluffside. The Dragonwalk Houses are not welcome here. They are disruptive and expansionistic. If it wasn't for the Dragori Empire acting as a buffer between those cities and the rest of the Northwest, they're armies would have expanded through the Dragon Sands and into the forests southeast of here over a century ago."

Falen listens to the ongoing conversation with some trepidation. He's heard of the Dragonwalk Houses. Most who have lived in or visited Tânger have heard of the Dragonwalkers and their powerful houses. They dominate the Free Cities, what others call the Dragonwalk Cities. They have tired to conquer Tânger in the past but have always been rebuffed by the Dragori Empire or another powerful kingdom. If Phelix is a pariah of his family, that means he is an excoriate. He has has been shunned by his family and they will probably not even acknowledge that he is alive.

He continues to wait and listen, as he isn't willing to reveal too much about himself or what he knows. If it becomes vital to the city's survival (and his own), he will tell Tuck and the others what he knows of the Free Cities. For now, they seem to understand that Phelix is an outcast of his kin and cannot count of them for support.

Right now, he's more concerned about the Dusk and where they might be in the city.

Neurotic said:
Akos thinks for a moment
"If they want him captured or killed we might have some extra support from them, but don't count on The Five having enough influence in far away city to have the whole noble family arrested."
Tim nods, saying, "Ah, forgive my ignorance. I assumed that they were a noble family of Bluffside, otherwise, how could having power and influence HERE possibly give him an advantage in a distant and foreign land? No matter; in light of this, I believe that our best option is to seek their advice, and, if they offer it, their assistance as well."
Custodio shakes his head. "Akos is right. The Five don't have any influence in Khasan or the other Dragonwalk Cities. They may have sent envoys to the Del Cannithas when Waldo first became a problem, but if they did, nothing has come of it." He pauses and looks at Lowenan. "But we now know he plans to not only try to conquer Bluffside, but also to use it as a stepping-stone to return home and take over his own house and try to conquer all of the Dragonwalk Cities."

He asks Lowenan. "How does he plan to do this?"

"Now you want my council," Lowenan snaps. "Well, forget it. Take me to see Lady Pomander. I want her assurances that if convicted, I will only be ostracized. Then, I might be helpful to you again. And don't forget that I am in your custody and if you abuse your abilities to force me to talk, I will make sure everyone knows about it when asked at my trial."

"And what about them?" Custodio asks regarding Lady Arnora and the other ex-guards.

"I will not be able to do anything for Silagord. The Wizard Council has complete authority over him, as you have already said. If Arnona and Rhilaseth renounce me, they might be allowed to leave the city in disgrace. It will be harder for Arnona to avoid going to prison, or worse, and her family might lose their holdings in the city even if she does renounce me." He pauses. "But if I can get one of The Five to officially promise me in writing that I won't be beheaded, then I can save myself and start a new life... far from here." He pauses again. "And that's only if I can evade my so-called mentor and his Loyalists."

The ex-commanders speech leaves him breathless and he leans back against the wall of the cell. He closes his eyes and tries not to let the nausea break what's left of his resolve.

"He could still come for you," Custodio says.

"Bah! He would have done that by now!"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases