Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
He tries to avoid it, but the sticky stuff glues Caerths hand to the cultist, and as the half-orc reflexively takes half a step back, he curses as he steps into it as well.

With his free hand Caerth brings the dagger Kang close to the cultists face, careful not to touch either him or the gooey stuff.
While the cultist's torso and legs are stuck to the door, his head is free to look at Caerth and his blade with fear.

"I, I surrender?" He asks more than says.

Caerth notes the surroundings of the stairwell. The stairs are roughly hewed stone and landing is 5 ft. wide and 15 ft. across. What he can see of the door in front is solid wood and reinforced with iron. The door is flanked by two black columns that are worked with inlaid symbols ands carvings of crows and rook harpies. The columns take up the rest of the landing. Caerth stands on the bottom steps of the stairs, which allows him to see that the door has a small square viewer built into it with a closed metal latch on the other side.

The cultist's right hand is glued to the door's latch.

Phar can't help but smile at Caerth's situation. "That's one way to maintain contact with the enemy. Perhaps he can tell us more of the disposition of enemy forces."
Quinn can't help but guffaw as he puts his chain away and motions for the rest of the group to gather on the stairs. "Stay away from that gylph on the floor and keep an eye out for any other traps," the ex-gladiator warns.

"I will search," Aureus offers. "After I finish here." She continues to root through the dead cultist's pockets looking for coins and anything else useful. Soon she is shaking her head. "No coins. But they have unused torches and flasks." She smells one. "This one is acid." She smells another one with a crow symbol on it. "Yuck! This water smells putrid!"

Quinn moves forward so that he is standing right behind Caerth looking down over the half-orc druid's shoulders. "A bit of a sticky situation," he jokes. "We need to get you free, my friend."

"And we'll need to peel the prisoner off that door if we hope to get through," Timmins notes.

OOC: Aureus finds four unused torches, four flasks of acid, and four flasks of what smells like rancid water. Each of the dead cultists also had a heavy mace & dagger, chainmail, light metal shield, and an unholy symbol. The weapons are in good shape and so is the armor (but smells slightly of decay).

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth does not acknowledge the cultists words of surrender, although he does not attack. Instead he pulls his hand back, large muscles straining against the sticky goo, but the substance proves stronger still.

”What’s the password?” he asks the cultist softly but threateningly before turning around to ask Quinn for some help freeing himself.

OOC: Strength check: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

No, not free yet!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Moved the last line from my previous post here since it was Quinn asking Maur a question.
"Pfah! Not what I had in mind, but it works."
Huffs the dwarf
"Bring him back up."
Quinn looks at Maur. "How long does it take for it to stop being sticky. I don't want to get stuck."

Caerth does not acknowledge the cultists words of surrender, although he does not attack. Instead he pulls his hand back, large muscles straining against the sticky goo, but the substance proves stronger still.

”What’s the password?” he asks the cultist softly but threateningly before turning around to ask Quinn for some help freeing himself.

OOC: Strength check: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

No, not free yet!
The gooed-up villain looks back towards Caerth and says, "It won't matter what you say to try to get inside. Balo already ran through and warned the others. They've locked me out, as well. And they won't trust me not to betray them." He pauses upon seeing the threat in Caerth's eyes. "Fine. The verbal signal is 'carrion for the mistress', but it won't matter."

"Perhaps we should break it down?" Quinn suggests. Then he goes to work trying to get the big druid free from the goo. He bear hugs the half-orc and grabs his arm and braces them both to pull back up he stairs. The goo has hardened and has become brittle enough to separate Caerth from the cultist. He and Quinn fall back onto the stairs.

"Huzzah!"

"Impressive strength," Brutus says at the top of the stairs.

Some of the hardened goo falls away from the back of the cultist, but he remains firmly attached to the door.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: It falls appart in rounds, shouldn't be hard to just wait it out

"We could use acid to destroy the glyph and open the door. No need to expend ourselves in breaking things. But we can." Maur hefts his warhammer

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth nods his thanks to Quinn as he picks himself up from the floor. Then the half-orc returns his gaze to the cultist.

”Could just go through him,” he whispers darkly in agreement with the dwarf, before changing his mind.

”Can we tie him up before releasing him from that stuff?”

Scotley

Hero
Phar watches the proceedings with interest, but knows his own strength would be of little use. "I expect that putrid water is unholy water. Something best discarded to my way of thinking." He turns to the trapped cultist. "Surely their is more than one way in and out. Since your fellows expect you to talk, why disappoint them. It will go easier if you do. Tell us how many and where else we can get in or they might try to get out."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: It falls appart in rounds, shouldn't be hard to just wait it out
OOC: It was more Quinn not knowing how long it takes vs. you and I knowing how long it takes.

Neurotic said:
"We could use acid to destroy the glyph and open the door. No need to expend ourselves in breaking things. But we can." Maur hefts his warhammer
"If it has a lock, I can get it open," Aureus brags. "I wouldn't want to mess with that glyph, but if you want to pour this on it, go ahead." She hands Maur one of the vials of acid before moving down towards the door.

Caerth nods his thanks to Quinn as he picks himself up from the floor. Then the half-orc returns his gaze to the cultist.
Quinn nods and dusts himself off.

JustinCase said:
”Could just go through him,” he whispers darkly in agreement with the dwarf, before changing his mind.

”Can we tie him up before releasing him from that stuff?”
Just as Caerth says the words, the tanglefoot goo starts to become brittle enough to break away from the man's body and the door. He is soon free and releases the latch and turns slow to face Caerth and the others. He slowly raises his hands in surrender.

"Well, that solves that problem," Timmins notes. "We should tie him up."

Quinn notes the slight look of disappointment on Caerth's face. "Are you all right, my friend?"

Phar watches the proceedings with interest, but knows his own strength would be of little use. "I expect that putrid water is unholy water. Something best discarded to my way of thinking."
Aureus nods to her old friend and pulls the vials out of her bag and leaves them on the steps against the wall, "We can find a place to dump them, later. Careful where you step. Now, let me take a look at that door."

She examines the door taking her time to look at the latch and the door's frame. She runs her fingers along the edges and examines the square hole in the door. It is closed and latched firmly from the other side.

"You'll never get it open. It is not only locked, but also barred with a steel band on the other side," the cultist says to her.

"Thank you, that's helpful information," the hutaakan rogue replies with a toothy grin.

The cultist sighs and shakes his head. "Even if you get it open, they will be waiting on the other side."

"Quiet!" Quinn orders. "Or I'll gag you."

Aureus doesn't find any traps and works the locking mechanism of the latch. She has to clean out some of the dried goo before working on the lock. It takes her almost no time to pick it. The lock clicks open and she she pulls the door handle down and pulls on the door. It doesn't budge.

"You were saying," Quinn mocks the cultist who can't believe his eyes.

"I'm going to try to disable the bar, but I don't know if I can."

She takes one of the vials of acid and pours it onto the metal parts of the wooden door's reinforcements. She waits a minute and then tries to open the door again. She puts all her weight on it but the bar on the other side stymies her. "No. I can't get the bar off. We're going to have to break it down."

Scotley said:
He turns to the trapped cultist. "Surely their is more than one way in and out. Since your fellows expect you to talk, why disappoint them. It will go easier if you do. Tell us how many and where else we can get in or they might try to get out."
"While I am your prisoner, I'm not stupid. If I talk, you'll just kill me. I want some assurances that you're not going to just gut me after I tell you about the temple. If the others capture me, I will be tortured and then eaten alive by the rooks."

"You need to worry about what we'll do to you, not your fellow cultists," Timmins replies.

"But if you want reassurance, I can give it," Gareth says as he comes down the stairs. "I am Sir Gareth Porthglaze, the sherriff of Carnell. If you tell us what we need to root out your allies, I will personally speak on your behalf to Lady Pendour and ask her for leniency. You may only get away with prison instead of the noose."

The man looks at Gareth and shakes his head. "No, I want assurance from her, not you. Nobles are quick to execute despite what their underlings promise."

"That will take too much time. Either you accept my terms or I let these burly gentlemen get the information out of you, the hard way. Your choice."

The man curses and then sighs. He nods. "You give me no choice. Fine. As far as I know, there is only one other way out of the temple. A secret passage leads deeper underground. It comes out somewhere deep in the Underearth. It is meant as an escape, not another way in. And, I don't know where it is in the temple. Anselm and Tarrak do not share that kind of information with their underlings."

He looks at Phar. "The main floor of the temple is quite large. There is another locked door 20 feet beyond this one and it is trapped. There is a third level, as well, but it's only for the leaders, who are all powerful ghasts. Our numbers are not overwhelming but you will face dozens more acolytes like me with divine powers and a handful of powerful rook clerics, as well as ghoulish guards and ghasts. Xander likely will be in the Hell Forge. Anselm will likely be in his chambers or his work room. His chambers are always guarded. Tarrak, our great leader, will likely be in the unhallowed hall of Malotoch's sanctuary. He and the senior acolytes spend most of their time down there. I've never been allowed into that hall."

He looks back at Gareth. "Good enough?"

The sheriff nods. "What is your name?"

"The name given to me by Tarrak is Vesh Trevil. If I had another name once, I do not remember it." He pauses. "You will not defeat him. He is a powerful undead warrior and priest. You have no chance."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"What is in that locked room you attacked us in?"
"That old chamber was once the living quarters of Tarrak's slaves that carved out the old shrine to the Crow Mistress," Vesh replies as Quinn binds the man's hands. "The room attached to it was the shrine, but it was abandoned years ago once the temple was carved out below. It wasn't meant to be locked as the door had become warped, but after intruders broke into it, Tarrak had a lock put on it to seal away old Larc. He was one of the first of the faithful to be blessed with undeath by Malotoch. He is from before my time, but I do know that Tarrak sealed him away for a reason. I believe he's chained to the wall behind the dais. Whatever mind he once had is likely gone."

He pauses. "It is not a place to enter lightly as it has been blessed by Malotoch. These young ones with you would not do well in there." He motions to Meridith and Wieland who are now standing at the top of the stairs with Brutus and Quinten. "If you go below, they will likely die."

"You think us weak," Brtus mocks. "Think again."

"Yes, you might survive," Vesh snaps. "But the others don't have your strength."

"Our dwarven friend did not ask you for your opinion of our skills," Timmins replies. "We want simple answers, not your threats."

"Very well," he looks at Maur. "Tarrak cannot destroy Larc, as he was once one of the faithful. Only Malotoch can take away his blessing. He is unimportant. Leave him be."

Remove ads