Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Maur shakes his head sadly.
"It is within my power technically. But in these lands there are rules about such things and priests of Hades should be included. And physical ritual components are very rare - I doubt even Lady Pendour has more than one such. There is no way to return so many without major church helping."

He puts his arm on the mans shoulder.
"Take solace in the fact it was quick. Imagine the horror of being captured by that ogre. I know it isn't much, but such is the fate of all us mortals. Live for them, be better and create something worthy of their memory. I will do my best to get their souls to their proper place, but returning them to life...that's a miracle that often leaves deep scars and not everyone is better off. Or train and get into evils face and smash it in! There is always more evil to smash."
"It is their souls that need to be saved," Nicholaus nods glumly. "I would not have you break the Law of Life and Death, but when gods interfere in the ways of mortals, those laws become murky. The shadow creature might not be a god but he called on... that Sword God, I will not say his name. It is an affront to nature and the cycle of life."

"A priest of Hades might intervene on our behalf but that would mean travelling to Belporte or Helt to beseech one of the Lord of the Dead's temples. Belporte is closer, I think, but from here it would overland through mainly trackless wilderness. There might be some old trails that could speed up the journey. Helt is to the south through the Wasting Shores."

"We need to catch our other escaped prisoner," Aureus notes. "He's fled into the desert southwest of here." She sighs. "But we have to rest first."

"For him to brave that desert seems foolish," Nicholaus says. "I've heard it is deadly. Full of evil things that stalk the night... some of them unliving." The man gathers together the few survivors left after Maur has healed them. "As for resting, there is a place closer to Fort Symas that could provide us shelter. A small fellow runs a roadside inn in some of the higher hills at the foot of those mountains," the grizzled farmhand points to the west. "We had wanted to stop there for the night, but we just couldn't make it that far."

"How far is this inn?" Aureus asks.

"Another 10 to 15 miles," Nicholaus rubs his chin as he helps bandage wounds and gather up what is left of the dead villagers meager possessions. "I've never been there myself, but my father told me about it. It is the only place between Carnell and the fort where you can stop to get a bed and some food."

Caerth has heard of this structure. It is called the Hillwall Inn and is run by someone Aeron once referred to as 'Old Mazz'. The half-orc druid has never visited the inn himself, but he knows it is there. Aeron called it an old rundown building with more dust than water, but Mazz is good host, although the old dwarf-kin is older than anyone else his mentor has ever met before.

"We must build a cairn for the dead," Nicholaus says. "But it might be safer to do it there rather than here. Besides, the Pillar of Songs is considered important to travelers and death should not cling to it."

"Do we have time?" Aureus wonders aloud. "We can't let Eike get away."

"Vok did brag that Eike would stand and face us," Aries says. The man has finally picked himself up off he ground. He is limping and his shoulder looks dislocated. The man looks terrible.

Aureus looks at Phar and then towards Aries. "What did Vok mean about your secret?"

Aries sighs. "I will tell you. I owe you that much, but I need to rest and heal first. My ability to cast healing magic is... limited." He glances towards Caerth. "If there is someplace nearby that is safer than this, we should go there. If something else comes out of the night, it will go very badly for us."

"I'll go check the horses," Aureus offers. "I think some of them bolted. I hope Lady is okay."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"It is their souls that need to be saved," Nicholaus nods glumly. "I would not have you break the Law of Life and Death, but when gods interfere in the ways of mortals, those laws become murky. The shadow creature might not be a god but he called on... that Sword God, I will not say his name. It is an affront to nature and the cycle of life."
"I realize that...but don't forget that this may all have been an elaborate scheme by the demon. Not likely, but possible. I will send to major temples and ask for divinations. Please give me the names of the dead once we reach the shelter."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth nods gratefully to Shazakiel, both for its help in combat and healing, as well as its advice. "Thanks again, and may the spirits watch over you as well."

After making sure there are none that still need healing, the half-orc turns to the others.

"I had feared it would come down to a confrontation with that demon," he says glumly. "Although I was expecting it to be later, so we would be better prepared. It seems he's got a scheme of sorts to study our abilities before defeating us in a final confrontation."

He grits his teeth.

"Going after Eike now is exactly what Vok wants, so I think we should make a new plan. Our plan. And not reveal our full potential just yet, because he will be watching us the whole time."

Looking around the field of battle -- carnage, more like -- Caerth sighs. He knows his allies won't allow the bodies to remain as they are, as food for scavengers. Nobody appreciates the vultures, the ravens and the maggots.

And he remembers what the ogre requested with his dying breath. 'Burn my body. Do not bury.' Is it still there, or is it consumed by the abyssal fires?

"We will need more allies."

OOC: Caerth will use his Cure Moderate Wounds and Cure Minor Wounds on those who are still below 0 hp. I'm not sure if there are any left? If there are more than one, his priority will be with children.

Caerth was at 69 hp, then lost 21 from the divine storm, and regained 11 from the unicorn. So he's now at 59/71 HP.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I realize that...but don't forget that this may all have been an elaborate scheme by the demon. Not likely, but possible. I will send to major temples and ask for divinations. Please give me the names of the dead once we reach the shelter."
Nicholaus nods to Maur and then he works with the survivors to gather up what remains that can be taken to the inn. There is little left that can be buried from the villagers. The wagons are in bad shape and neither one is going anywhere without major repairs.

"We'll have to leave them here and go on foot or on your horses," the farmhand looks towards where your horses had been tied up. "Assuming they didn't all bolt."

Caerth nods gratefully to Shazakiel, both for its help in combat and healing, as well as its advice. "Thanks again, and may the spirits watch over you as well."
Shazakiel bows its head one last time before disappearing in a flash of light and a gust of wind.

JustinCase said:
After making sure there are none that still need healing, the half-orc turns to the others.

"I had feared it would come down to a confrontation with that demon," he says glumly. "Although I was expecting it to be later, so we would be better prepared. It seems he's got a scheme of sorts to study our abilities before defeating us in a final confrontation."

He grits his teeth.

"Going after Eike now is exactly what Vok wants, so I think we should make a new plan. Our plan. And not reveal our full potential just yet, because he will be watching us the whole time."
Caerth's healing magic restores the young girl's brother back to full heath and the young man takes charge of his little sister. The half-orc druid finds that there are only a handful of survivors besides his friends. There are only seven left. The elder Aureus pulled from the second wagon must have succumbed to his injuries after Druaga's evil manifestation left the mortal plane.

JustinCase said:
Looking around the field of battle -- carnage, more like -- Caerth sighs. He knows his allies won't allow the bodies to remain as they are, as food for scavengers. Nobody appreciates the vultures, the ravens and the maggots.

And he remembers what the ogre requested with his dying breath. 'Burn my body. Do not bury.' Is it still there, or is it consumed by the abyssal fires?

"We will need more allies."
Gronagon's body was not claimed by the dark god. Perhaps Vaprak wouldn't let the Sword God claim the ogre man. The ogre still lies dead at the top of the hill, as well. Caerth also finds the dead form of Zecca, turned back into a raven, lying dead in the copse of trees where it fell. The bird could be left for the scavengers or buried to mark Xander's death.

Aureus comes back with three of the horses in tow. She has Caerth horse, Autumn Storm; Maur's stout pony, which was too stubborn to run away; and Phar's graceful pinto with her. "I can't find Lady," she says glumly. "I hope she's okay." The hutaakan peers into the darkness around them in hopes of seeing something. "Can you get Screech to look for her and the other horses?" She asks Caerth. "He might see something we'd miss."

"They might find us when they feel it's safe," Nicholaus says. "We really should stay here any longer. The noise of the battle could attract scavengers or more deadly things."

Caerth quickly discovers that creating a pyre for the two dead ogres is best done at the top of the hill where they attacked from as the ground at the top is barren without any risk of causing a brushfire. Rolling Gronagon's body up the hill is tough but with some help he manages to get the dead ogre up onto the hill. The others help as best they can to gather the needed wood required for the fire. The dragongriff made a mess of the copse of trees in which it tried to find cover. Once everything is gathered together, the pyre is lit and the two ogres are soon ablaze.

Once Caerth has ensured the flames won't spread from the pyre, you set out for the Hillwall Inn. The three horses are used for the worst of the wounded. Aries refuses to ride, however. He ties up his leg and uses a piece of wood for a makeshift waking stick. After a few hours, he seems to have found a good pace that doesn't hurt his weary limbs.

It takes six hours walking through the night to reach the roadside inn, which sits on a high hill near foothills that surround a dozen low peaks. The building is made mainly of stone and look like it could use some repairs. Next to it on one side sits a stone stable without a roof. On the other side is a squat house made of stone and sod that looks to be built into the ground. There is smoke rising from the old house's chimney but both the house and the inn are dark with no sound of activity.

"It doesn't look like it's open," Aureus whispers. She seems uncertain.

"As I said, I've never been here myself," Nicholaus replies. He keeps his voice low. "But I'm sure its fine."

The farmhand doesn't move to knock, however.

Phar sighs and moves to the inn and tries to look through one of the windows, which is caked in dust and grime. He can't see a thing through the dirty window.

Aureus moves to the old house and listens at the door. Nothing. She taps on the door lightly and listens again. She hears a snort like the sound of a pig. Then she hears soft snoring. "Hello? You have travelers who'd like to stay at your inn," she says in a loud voice as she knocks on the door.

There is another snort, a short squeal, and what sounds like pig feet clopping on a wooden floor. Aureus tries to peer through one of the shuttered windows but even her eyes can't pierce the dusty windows.

"You'll have to knock louder than that to wake up Mazz," a tired voice says from within the stables. "But I'd rather you didn't. He needs his rest." A young man who looks barely in his twenties appears at the entrance to the stables. He is rubbing sleep from his eyes and he yawns. "If you really need a room, the Hillwall Inn can be opened. If you're bandits, we don't have anything worth stealing, so you might as well crawl back into the scrub and sleep with the lizards."

"Does that false bravado really work on bandits?" Aries asks with a hint of annoyance. The Soldier of Iron sits down on a low bench that sits next to the front door of the inn.

"Bandits usually don't waste their time on us or ask obvious questions," the young man says as he tries to pat down his bedhead. "But they do come here to use the water well and the privy in the back when they get desperate. They rarely try to break in as they know Mazz will report them to Captain Balzer if they become troublesome."

He takes out a pair of greasy spectacles, tries to clean them off with his dusty shirt, and then puts them on. He moves through the dark with ease and then looks at each of you. "Adventurers!" Then he looks at the villagers. "But not all of you." He nods his head. "I am Ivoron Asheye, Doorman of the Hillwall inn. I welcome you. We don't get a lot of visitors, as you can tell."

Ivoron moves to open the front door. He produces a key and unlocks the inn.

"You're quick to trust," Aries says.

"Not at all," the man says. "I just know the difference between adventurers and bandits. Besides, I am not completely defenseless."

"We won't cause any trouble," Aureus says. She glares at Aries and the battered soldier simply shrugs.

Ivoron swings open the front door and invites you all inside. The interior is rundown, almost shabby. It isn't the dust an grime so much as it is the poor condition of the tables and chairs of the common room and mess of old bottles and tarnished serving trays on the bar. Behind the bar is a wall of empty liquor bottles. A set of stone stairs leads up onto a second floor near the back of the building. The few tables that aren't broken are covered in drop clothes meant to keep the dust off of them, although the clothes themselves are stained with dirt and dried liquids.

"You weren't kidding," Aries says as he hobbles into the inn.

"My father never told me about this," Nicholaus says just inside the doorway.

"You will find we have almost nothing here in the way of luxuries," Ivoron says. "The water in the well is clean and the beds are comfortable enough. Clean linen costs extra, as Mazz and I don't have anyone else to help us. Our cook died two winters ago and we haven't been able to find anyone to replace her."

The man, who you can now see if a half-elf, goes behind the bar and unlocks a small trapdoor in the floor. "We don't have any spirits, but we keep water from the well bottled and chilled. It's quite good with some prickly pear fruit. That costs extra, however. We don't have any meat and if you kill and eat Mazz's pet pig, you will find yourself hunted by the soldiers of Fort Symas. Captain Balzar and his men are quite protective of Mazz, although they don't have the resources to station a permanent garrison here."

Ivoron pulls out several bottles of chilled water from storage. "Each bottle is 1 silver. Added fruit costs 3 silvers. We have a limited amount right now. We do have some gathered seeds and nuts, which you can buy for 1 silver for a heaping bowl. A bed for the night costs 5 coppers or 1 silver if one of you wants a room to yourself. You can sleep in this room for a single copper. The rooms on the third floor are available for only 3 coppers each, as most of them don't have ceilings or leak when it rains, although it rarely rains here. We have little in the way of firewood. I save most of it for Mazz's hearth. He is an old man and needs all the warmth he can get at night."

"Salt of the earth," Aries says. "I'm impressed you get by with so little."

"We live as best we can," Ivoron says with a smile. "We like our simple lives." He chuckles. "I'd offer you a bath but our tub is old and rusted. I'd recommend you use the sand pit out back to scrub yourselves clean."

Ivoron notices Angus standing on the other side of the doorway. "You will have to bed down in the stables, I'm afraid, sir. I will not charge you anything. You can keep your horses in there as well," he says to Maur.

Aureus steps up to the bar and digs out a single platinum coin from her pouch. "I want you to take care of them as best you can," she says to Ivoron while motioning to the villagers. "Water, fruit, food you can spare, and comfortable beds for all of them."

The half-elf is surprised to see the coin. "I- I will do as you ask."

"And I hope this will cover my time here," the hutaakan adds as she pulls out 3 gold pieces and hands them to Ivoron. Without another word, she takes a single bottle of chilled water, says goodnight to you all, and heads upstairs to find a room for herself.

JustinCase said:
OOC: Caerth will use his Cure Moderate Wounds and Cure Minor Wounds on those who are still below 0 hp. I'm not sure if there are any left? If there are more than one, his priority will be with children.

Caerth was at 69 hp, then lost 21 from the divine storm, and regained 11 from the unicorn. So he's now at 59/71 HP.
OOC: There were only 7 survivors, so between healing from Aurues, Caerth, Maur, and the unicorn, all of those who remained were brought back up above 0 hp.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Fort for forced march: 1D20+17 = [9]+17 = 26

Maur comes to the inn, stoically enduring the march in a manner of his people. The fact that everyone is tired and wounded actually helped since he hadn't had to run after other long-legged companions.

He requests separate room
"I need the space to take off my armor, to clean it and private space for prayers. I will prepare some divinations and healing. Take heart everyone, we survived and with Moradins blessing, you will have the option to return or go on as you see fit."

OOC: I'll prepare Divination, Commune spell (and post questions in OOC), some area healing (need to find some spells), call inevitable (for Eike) and the rest will be combat/adventure.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
On their long walk towards Hillwall Inn, Caerth notices how the battle, the losses and the walk are taking their toll on almost everyone. He walks besides the children on horseback, and from his pack produces a single red strawberry. Muttering a few Druidic words, then blowing gently on the small fruit, it seems just a little more red and tasty. With a smile, he hands it to the girl.

"Magic," he says with a twinkle in his eyes, and when she eats it, her weariness decreases noticably.

When they arrive at the Inn, Caerth is fatigued like most, but looking pretty healthy in comparison. Not quite smiling, the half-orc is nevertheless friendly to Ivoron.

"It will do fine," he assures him about the condition of the place and its resources, producing two silver pieces himself. "Do you have a bucket or two?"

When given the chance, the druid will magically fill the buckets with refreshing water, cold as a mountain river, and hand them out to the horses and those who have drained their bottles. Taking the opportunity to check up on the horses and Angus in the stables, Caerth is silent for a while.

"What did Aeron tell you about me?" he asks softly, not looking the centaur in the eye.

OOC: Casting lesser restoration on the girl, which removes her fatigue. If possible, he will also cast create water to have some addictional refreshments.

Unfortunately Caerth cannot remedy the negative level on Maur, at least not with the spells he has prepared for today.

Depending on the time spent talking with Angus, Caerth may decide to cast lay of the land, commune with nature and/or scrying (on Eike) before resting, saving spell slots to be used tomorrow.

Did Screech find the other horses?

Spells before rest:
Level 0 (6): create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, purify food and drink
Level 1 (6): entangle, traveller's mount, traveller's mount, traveller's mount, traveller's mount, traveller's mount
Level 2 (5): bear's endurance, lesser restoration, mass snake's swiftness, master air, share husk
Level 3 (5): blindsight, cure moderate wounds, giant’s wrath, plant growth, spirit jaws
Level 4 (3): dispel magic, lay of the land, scrying
Level 5 (2): atonement, commune with nature
Level 6 (1): greater dispell magic

HP before rest:
59 - 2 nonlethal = 57 out of 71 HP

Once we are settled, Caerth needs only 2 hours of sleep because of his ring of sustenance. If we set a watch, Caerth will offer to be the second watch.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"While I have no coins to pay for a room or food," Aries says to Ivoron. "I can cast an simple spell that will create water for you and your employer. I can top up your well or make the water appear in the air as a downpour. If you have a garden or some old empty barrels, I can add to your reserves. And I can purify any stagnate water or spoiled food that you might be thinking to throw away."

"Hmm, I'm sure we can work out something," Ivoron says. "I have a lot of empty bottles that could be filled and there are some old crates of food in Mazz's cellar that are getting old. I keep telling him we need to throw it all away, but if you can save us from having to bury it."

"I cannot use the orison with great precision, but if the bottles are outside, open, and sturdy enough, some of the water will get into them. Bottles or jars with wide brims would be best."

"We will worry about it tomorrow," Ivoron says. "You are free to sleep here in the common room, but I will need assurances that you won't run off."

Aries takes off his holy symbol and hands it to the doorman. "Is that enough assurance for you?"

"It is."

Aries goes to settle himself in in the corner of the room. He is soon nodding off.

"It will do fine," he assures him about the condition of the place and its resources, producing two silver pieces himself. "Do you have a bucket or two?"
Ivoron turns to Caerth. "As I said, there are some old barrels that are empty. They are likely a bit dusty inside. The wind constantly blows dust down from the Dry Mounts. It shouldn't be too hard to clean them out. There are troughs behind the stables as well. They are bone dry right now but I've kept the dust and weeds out of them."

Ivoron then leads the seven villagers upstairs to find then rooms and provide them with fresh linen, water, food, and anything else they might need.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
He requests separate room
"I need the space to take off my armor, to clean it and private space for prayers. I will prepare some divinations and healing. Take heart everyone, we survived and with Moradins blessing, you will have the option to return or go on as you see fit."
Ivoron suggests one of the rooms on the third floor for a quiet place to pray. "There is a large room up there that was never meant to have a roof. It was once meant to be a garden, but we haven't been able to maintain it. It has a sturdy door that leads back inside, but even without a roof or ceiling, it can be quite serene up there at night." Ivoron pauses. "I will make up one of the second floor rooms for you."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Before Caerth returns to the inn to bed down, Angus tells him, casually, his Harqualian speech coming off a little more smoothly; apparently, practice makes perfect: "We haven't hade much time to talk since we met; we've bane a'too busy killin'. I just wanted to say, you're even braver than Aeron sade ye were, and I am honored to 'ave fought by yer side. Aeron and I fought together many years ago, and it was his trust in me that led him to the idea to send me to help ye. I know ye don't be needin' no babysitter, and that's not why he sent me. He sent me because he sees the potential in ye, and wants ye to excel. And vice versa; he thinks we'll be good for each other, iron sharpens iron and all that. Good night to ye, and may the gods bless ye."

With that, Angus beds down into a pile of fresh hay. Angus talks and eats like a human, but when it comes to sleeping, he does best in a place that is of the earth; a pile of hay on a dirt floor inside a barn, or the open ground of the plains, or a shady respite on a bed of leaves in the forest. It will not take him long to fast asleep, once his underbelly hits the hay.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Maur accepts the room as it is, stripping his armor off and refreshing in the through outside. Dwarven settlements aren't really private with many dwarves living communally and most or all of them having small living quarters due to lack of space in the caverns. And he is not yet long enough in the above-ground world to notice there are some differences.

Thus, he comes down only in his undergarments; soap and rags in his hands, treating townspeople to the sight of sweat and blood-encrusted dwarf. Tromping through the common room, he pulls up water out of the well and cleans up. Before sleeping he cleans up his weapons and armor, offering prayers to the All-Father and the rest of Morndinsamman for the lives they managed to save and for those suffering at the hands of the Sword god.

He also talks with Qui for several minutes, talking over the idea to use one of the commune questions to check on her health.

In the morning, he meditates on the spells he would need for the coming day and prays for various spells to help with the healing and prepare for the hunt on renegade cultist. And their own secret keeper.

When he comes down to the common room, fairly late since he had to pray and armor up, anyone still sleeping is woken up by a booming voice. Looking at the dwarf, one can see a faint light coming from inside the armor.

"Good morning everyone!" Maur calls out "I prepared some mass healing and we may be ready to move soon. We have some work to do before we go. Gather around...you too, Aries. And we need to talk afterward."

He draws a circle on the floor.
"Stay within this circle if you're wounded. If you feel fine, step out, let someone else take your place. The spell lasts only a minute, but should recover most of the wounds from everyone."

After everyone was as healed as he could quickly make them Maur shakes off the feeling of warmth (although you can still see slight light coming from inside his armor)
"Thank the All-Father Moradin for the healing and watching over you. The food will not be some great feast, but it will keep you sated for a day."

Noting confused looks of the commoners the champion walks to the table and calls upon his miracles again, creating food for the entire group.
"We must go tomorrow, you all have a choice to make, continue toward the fort or return to Carnell that is now needing able-bodied men and women to restore it."

* Next post *
Talk with Aries
Commune
Divination
In the evening, he calls upon a celestial bird to ease them into healing dreams.

OOC:
pre-cast Soul of light (heal 2 x conjuration(healing) spell level), lasts for 1 hour
Cast positive energy aura - everyone within 10' of Maur heals 3hp per round for 9 rounds (I counted - I can heal all PCs, all named NPCs, and 14 others if we remain really packed)

Cast Healthful rest: targeting 9 creatures = Angus, Quinn, Caerth, Phar, Maur, Aries, Aureus, anyone I missed :p
Double natural healing rate for the rest of the day
Before the next rest, cast Summon Elysian Thrush, doubling the natural healing rate for anyone within 30'

This should bring everyone close to full (27hp from positive energy, +4 x level (44 for PCs) from doubled and doubled healing - different source, should stack, and +12 for Maur from Soul of light) total 27 +44=71 for everyone + 12 = 93 for Maur
Probably much more for Angus with his already doubled healing

Spells prepared:
Level 0 x6
Amanuensis, Create Water, Detect Magic x3, Purify Food

Level 1 x5
Bless x2, Healthful Rest, Hide from Undead, Lesser Holy Transformation, Magic stone (D)

Level 2 x5
Summon Elysian Thrush, Close wounds, Remove Paralysis, Shatter, Soul of light, Soften Earth or Stone(D)

Level 3 x4
Mass lesser vigor, Mass Conviction (+3), Magic circle against evil, Revelation, Stone shape (D)

Level 4 x2
Positive energy aura, Divination, Spike Stones(D)

Level 5 x1
Commune, Fabricate (D)

Last edited:

Remove ads