D&D 5E L&L 1/7/2013 The Many Worlds of D&D

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Just a thought.

Two people are driving down a road, not to get to a destination but to enjoy the sights along the way. Some they like, some they don't. They don't always agree.

And when they come to a fork, they disagree on which path to take. Ultimately they go down one - and one passenger likes the new route, and the sights along the way - and the other does not.

It is perfectly reasonable that the one passenger wish to continue along the current path and his enjoyment of those sights.

It is perfectly reasonable that the other passenger wish to travel back to the fork and take the other path. He doesn't enjoy these sights and wants to go back to the ones he liked.

Neither passenger is wrong in any way. They merely have a difference of opinion. And there's nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion. No one is trying to force the other passenger to do what he wants. But there's only one car - the discussion needs to happen.

QFT.

I'd also add that, IMO, the proposed cosmology seems to be an attempt to maximize the extent to which anything you would have read in the previous editions still "make sense" within the new edition. Even if that "sense" amounts to "you can view the relative positioning/orientation of various planes in different ways". I just don't see it as "anti-4e" or "pro-Planescape" or vice-versa.

Taking it a step farther...how often does the actual relative positioning or orientation of the planes actually matter? I mean, most "planar" adventuring relies on a few spells and gates and the like. Its not like adventurers are walking up to the edge of planeX and jumping over to planeY (assuming planeX even has an "edge"). The diagrams, while kinda cool-looking, are essentially pointless AFAICT.

None of which changes my objections to having a default cosmology in the first place. :) Eliminating the default cosmology would, of course, eliminate the need for us to travel down the road in the first place.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Whoa, hold on there. I think that calling something "ham-handed shoehorning" is letting bias show, don't you?

I actually have no bias on this point. If D&D5 goes Planescape, I will love it, because it is Planescape. If it goes Astral Sea, I will love it, because it is the Astral Sea. The fact that Planescape was ham-handed about its incorporation of material from other D&D settings that wanted nothing to do with it is not bias, it's reality. The Dark Sun material goes out of its way to cut the setting off from the then-established Great Wheel cosmology, and the Planescape material just keeps reeling it back in.

That behavior is the source of most of the resentment the community feels toward Planescape and why the setting is so controversial today. If they'd just left well enough alone maybe there wouldn't be such backlash today.

Shemeska was simply talking in regards to creating material that builds on previous material, as opposed to invalidating it. That's not a measure of quality; it's simply a notation of the methodology used.

That's not how I read it. It's inarguable that the D&D4 cosmology destroyed more than it created, because of the sheer quantity of material published for Planescape, but to say that the cornerstone of D&D4 cosmology design was "invalidation" -- in your words -- really marginalizes the new content.

Can you be more specific in regards to what internal consistency you feel that Planescape lacked? I ask this because "internal consistency" is making sure that various elements are defined the same way when used in multiple instances, and I'm not sure where you're saying Planescape failed at that.

The biggest example for me remains the divisions between the Ethereal and its coterminous planes and the Astral and its coterminous planes. It has many consequences, but perhaps the most visible is spellcasting. Playing a wizard or cleric in Planescape is a nightmare (admittedly, an entertaining nightmare for some), because there's this arbitrary (in my opinion) split between the two halves of the cosmology. Ethereal spells don't work on the Outer Planes. Astral spells don't work on the Inner Planes. Elemental spells "work" on the Outer Planes (for some reason), but are /colored/ by the plane they're in. Every Outer Plane has its own list of spell school effects. Clerics lose an insane amount of power when traveling to the Inner Planes. Powerful magic doesn't work, full stop, in the "center" of the Outlands. And ALL of this can be hand-waved if your character is carrying the right "key."

This entire system is incredibly thematic, which is great; unfortunately it is also monstrously and unnecessarily complicated.

Leaving aside that everyone has their own opinions on the quality of the results, the cosmology was always "a home that was exclusively its [the game's] own," as its cosmological elements weren't cribbed from another game. Now, if you meant that it was taking real-world mythologies and appropriating them as part of that, that's true, but that's always been a part of D&D - from the monsters to the magic, it has a strong tradition of pulling from many sources, which I see as a strength, not a weakness.

It's not necessarily a weakness, but -- again, in my opinion -- it means that there is nothing quintessentially **D&D** about Planescape. A lot of AD&D2 settings had similar problems. Dark Sun goes out of its way to throw out core D&D concepts. Spelljammer, too. Birthright is another good example. In a lot of ways, the AD&D2 settings were about diversifying D&D, and that's not terrible, but I think it's a big part of what killed the brand. I /like/ the idea of a universal D&D cosmology. I /like/ the idea of an Athas with recognizable D&D races and class roles. I like D&D as /D&D/.

I honestly believe there is /strength/ there.

How are the new eladrin more "internally consistent" than the old ones? Where did Planescape use eladrin in a self-contradictory manner?

I'm going to try to keep this brief because this post is already too long. D&D has never handled elves well. They're immortal, but they're not really. They're accomplished woodsmen, but they're also powerful wizards. They're fae, but they're also real. Instead of embracing this dichotomy, every edition of D&D prior to 4th tried to solve the problem by introducing more subspecies of elf. That's all the AD&D2 eladrin are -- super elves. They're not just to elves what angels are to humans; they're strongly implied to be the same things elves are, just on the other side of whatever veil it is that separates PC elves from NPC elves.

Now, I /liked/ AD&D2 eladrin. I did. They're some of my favorite extraplanar entities. But the D&D4 solution of breaking the elf down into two parts -- its prime material mundane identity, and its extraplanar fae identity -- just /works/ for me. Finally I see in the rules, on paper, the relationship between grey, high, and wood elves the way that I have always understood it in my mind. The AD&D2 eladrin still exist in D&D4 -- but the division between them and their PC kin has been shattered.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. It's good metaphor for a lot of the design that went into D&D4: "we have two things that should be one." See also succubus/erinyes for a situation where that logic failed them.

That said, it's worth noting that liking something because it has a long history is no particular reason to become nervous - people like things for multiple reasons, and adherence to tradition is no more or less qualitative than any other reason.

I'm not having this argument with you, because OT shenanigans, but holy CRAP do I disagree.

That's a perfectly respectable opinion, but no more or less so than an opinion that the stuff you thought was "garbage" was made out of gold, and that historical provenance (or rather, continuity) can indeed be a good reason to do something (even more than rarely).

That's why I said, "By the same token."

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I actually have no bias on this point. If D&D5 goes Planescape, I will love it, because it is Planescape. If it goes Astral Sea, I will love it, because it is the Astral Sea. The fact that Planescape was ham-handed about its incorporation of material from other D&D settings that wanted nothing to do with it is not bias, it's reality. The Dark Sun material goes out of its way to cut the setting off from the then-established Great Wheel cosmology, and the Planescape material just keeps reeling it back in.

That behavior is the source of most of the resentment the community feels toward Planescape and why the setting is so controversial today. If they'd just left well enough alone maybe there wouldn't be such backlash today.

I think that Planescape's "controversial" nature is, if not entirely fabricated, then at least overstated by those who simply don't care for its design philosophy. The Dark Sun example you raised is actually a good point about this.

The idea that Dark Sun was completely cut off from all other campaign settings before Planescape came along is an idea that starts to fragment when you look at it closely. The Black Spine adventure is about a githyanki invasion of Athas from the Astral Plane. City by the Silt Sea has an artifact that allows Dregoth to travel the planes. Ravenloft's Forbidden Lore boxed set (and, later, Domains of Dread) have an entire Island of Terror plucked from Athas. Spelljammer's Complete Spacefarer's Handbook explicitly addresses the question of spelljamming and Athas's crystal sphere. Defilers and Preservers talks about the chances and hazards of getting to the planes from Athas and vice versa.

Athas was isolated, but it never tried to present itself as not being a part of the AD&D Great Wheel cosmology, or unconnected to other campaign settings. Planescape's few mentions of Dark Sun characters or items aren't really a factor in that. The "controversy" in that regard is overblown.

That's not how I read it. It's inarguable that the D&D4 cosmology destroyed more than it created, because of the sheer quantity of material published for Planescape, but to say that the cornerstone of D&D4 cosmology design was "invalidation" -- in your words -- really marginalizes the new content.

I understand that it's not how you took the statement, but I feel pretty confident in saying that that's what [MENTION=11697]Shemeska[/MENTION] meant. It's not a statement regarding the nature or quality of the new content - it's that part of the design philosophy in making the new content was that it invalidate the old content.

The biggest example for me remains the divisions between the Ethereal and its coterminous planes and the Astral and its coterminous planes. It has many consequences, but perhaps the most visible is spellcasting. Playing a wizard or cleric in Planescape is a nightmare (admittedly, an entertaining nightmare for some), because there's this arbitrary (in my opinion) split between the two halves of the cosmology. Ethereal spells don't work on the Outer Planes. Astral spells don't work on the Inner Planes. Elemental spells "work" on the Outer Planes (for some reason), but are /colored/ by the plane they're in. Every Outer Plane has its own list of spell school effects. Clerics lose an insane amount of power when traveling to the Inner Planes. Powerful magic doesn't work, full stop, in the "center" of the Outlands. And ALL of this can be hand-waved if your character is carrying the right "key."

This entire system is incredibly thematic, which is great; unfortunately it is also monstrously and unnecessarily complicated.

Well, let's look at that in greater detail. I don't see the split between the Astral/Outer Planes and the Ethereal/Inner Planes as being arbitrary, since it's explained in what I thought as a clear fashion that neither directly reach each other, but both reach the Prime Material Plane. In that regard, the multiverse is shaped something like a large letter "V," where the Outer and Inner Planes are the two tops ends of the V, Astral and Ethereal Planes are the center of the two lines, and the Prime Material Plane is the point where the two touch.

The reason that "elemental" spells work on the Outer Planes is because they're not "elemental," per se; that is, they don't draw on or use the energies of the Inner Planes. You don't open a tiny portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire when you cast a fireball spell. You do, however, utilize the Ethereal Plane when you cast a secret chest, so to me the reason for why some spells work on a given plane and others don't is self-evident.

It's also worth noting that the failure of magic in the Outlands is by stages (e.g. spell levels) rather than being binary (it's also the one thing you mentioned that can't be fixed by spell keys or power keys). Likewise, clerics don't lose that much power when travelling to the Inner Planes if their deity is on the Outer Planes - it's much more restrictive between different Outer Planes.

Of course, none of this is an inconsistency with the actual material. Things vary, to be sure, but that variance is in keeping with the rules and principles of the setting itself. Nothing is self-contradictory. And, as you noted, some people quite enjoy this.

It's not necessarily a weakness, but -- again, in my opinion -- it means that there is nothing quintessentially **D&D** about Planescape. A lot of AD&D2 settings had similar problems. Dark Sun goes out of its way to throw out core D&D concepts. Spelljammer, too. Birthright is another good example. In a lot of ways, the AD&D2 settings were about diversifying D&D, and that's not terrible, but I think it's a big part of what killed the brand. I /like/ the idea of a universal D&D cosmology. I /like/ the idea of an Athas with recognizable D&D races and class roles. I like D&D as /D&D/.

I honestly believe there is /strength/ there.

This is another area of fundamental disagreement between us, then. When we got paladins in the 3.5 incarnation of Dark Sun in Dragon magazine, I cringed. That represented a degree of homogenization that I didn't find desirable at all. I think that the diversification of the campaign settings was a good thing, as it showed that D&D could be more than a pastiche of a pulp/Tolkien mixture.

I won't go so far as to say that D&D should necessarily try to be all things to all people, but the game was created by drawing on a diverse background of literary and mythological materials, and trying to broaden its horizons and mix-and-match various aspects is where I believe its greatest strengths lie.

I'm going to try to keep this brief because this post is already too long. D&D has never handled elves well. They're immortal, but they're not really. They're accomplished woodsmen, but they're also powerful wizards. They're fae, but they're also real. Instead of embracing this dichotomy, every edition of D&D prior to 4th tried to solve the problem by introducing more subspecies of elf. That's all the AD&D2 eladrin are -- super elves. They're not just to elves what angels are to humans; they're strongly implied to be the same things elves are, just on the other side of whatever veil it is that separates PC elves from NPC elves.

Insofar as the depiction of elves goes, I lay that one largely at the feet of Tolkien, since most of the "PC race" demihumans are lifted fairly whole-cloth from Middle-Earth (though, to be fair, the idea of "powerful elven wizards" doesn't seem to be too Tolkien-esque, I suppose). That said, I'm not sure what you mean by 2E's eladrin not being to elves as angels are to humans, since that struck me as exactly what they are. Unless I'm misremembering, mortal petitioners can become eladrin, after all (unlike, say, the guardinals), which sort of puts them in the same boat as angels - now, this was divided up by mortal alignment, rather than mortal race, but that's not something that ever concerned me.

Now, I /liked/ AD&D2 eladrin. I did. They're some of my favorite extraplanar entities. But the D&D4 solution of breaking the elf down into two parts -- its prime material mundane identity, and its extraplanar fae identity -- just /works/ for me. Finally I see in the rules, on paper, the relationship between grey, high, and wood elves the way that I have always understood it in my mind. The AD&D2 eladrin still exist in D&D4 -- but the division between them and their PC kin has been shattered.

See, I saw it fundamentally differently. I didn't assign much differences to various elven "sub-races" in 2E, as to me they were little more than somewhere along the lines of being somewhere between sub-species and ethnicities, in terms of how different they actually were. They all still fell under the umbrella of "mortal elves," as opposed to their fey, seelie counterparts that were the eladrin.

The 4E version of eladrin basically reduced them to a similar standing as the various elven sub-races, removing the "extraplanar fae identity" altogether. Yes, they were from the Feywild, but that seemed to manifest as making them nothing more than blink-elves. Now, that did shatter the division between them and their "PC kin," but in doing so it made them little different from them. If all they wanted was another sub-race of elf, why not just make another sub-race of elf?

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. It's good metaphor for a lot of the design that went into D&D4: "we have two things that should be one." See also succubus/erinyes for a situation where that logic failed them.

I don't see it as being that cut and dried, at least in terms for how prevalent that particular design philosophy was in 4E. Things like merging the Elemental Planes and the Abyss seemed more like "we have this one thing, that should be two."

I'm not having this argument with you, because OT shenanigans, but holy CRAP do I disagree.

This doesn't strike me as being off-topic. This is the sort of discussion and debate that's not only on topic, but vigorous and enjoyable.

That's why I said, "By the same token."

Ah, fair enough then.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I think that Planescape's "controversial" nature is, if not entirely fabricated, then at least overstated by those who simply don't care for its design philosophy.

It sure seems to torque a lot of people up.

The Dark Sun example you raised is actually a good point about this.

I am admittedly not a Dark Sun scholar and I am surprised by the number of in-setting references you provided for planar contact. I will have to touch base with my Athas.org buddy to see if he has anything to say about them. The Ravenloft and Spelljammer references are, of course, illegitimate, because like Planescape they are transitive settings whose whole bailiwick was in pulling adventurers from other worlds.

I understand that it's not how you took the statement, but I feel pretty confident in saying that that's what @Shemeska meant. It's not a statement regarding the nature or quality of the new content - it's that part of the design philosophy in making the new content was that it invalidate the old content.

See, I don't see this at all. I see D&D everywhere I look in the 4th Edition setting. Ah, but wait, it IS true that I do not see a whole lot of Planescape. I think this goes to my earlier point about Planescape not being particularly D&D-like. When push comes to shove, what I love about Planescape is its theme, not its lore. I've always found the construction of the AD&D cosmology clunky and inelegant. The new D&D4 material may invalidate the "clunky and inelegant" lore, but I think it does a fantastic job of capture the "theme" of what it is to play amongst D&D's metaphysical constants.

Well, let's look at that in greater detail. I don't see the split between the Astral/Outer Planes and the Ethereal/Inner Planes as being arbitrary, since it's explained in what I thought as a clear fashion that neither directly reach each other, but both reach the Prime Material Plane. In that regard, the multiverse is shaped something like a large letter "V," where the Outer and Inner Planes are the two tops ends of the V, Astral and Ethereal Planes are the center of the two lines, and the Prime Material Plane is the point where the two touch.

Yeah, but it's not, is it? All full planes are infinite. So...

The reason that "elemental" spells work on the Outer Planes is because they're not "elemental," per se; that is, they don't draw on or use the energies of the Inner Planes. You don't open a tiny portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire when you cast a fireball spell. You do, however, utilize the Ethereal Plane when you cast a secret chest, so to me the reason for why some spells work on a given plane and others don't is self-evident.

Pretty sure elemental summoning spells still work on the Outer Planes. And Secret Chest is a good example. Why does that spell need a connection to the Ethereal Plane? I mean, I know why: it creates an ethereal space for storage. But why does it have to be on the Ethereal? Why couldn't it be an Astral space? What is it about the Ethereal (or the Astral, if you prefer) that is /so important/ that everything floating in it couldn't just be moved to the other transitive plane? Fundamentally, they are both just empty space with stuff in. Neither plane is a /destination/.

It's also worth noting that the failure of magic in the Outlands is by stages (e.g. spell levels) rather than being binary (it's also the one thing you mentioned that can't be fixed by spell keys or power keys).

I know how it works. The point still stands.

Likewise, clerics don't lose that much power when travelling to the Inner Planes if their deity is on the Outer Planes - it's much more restrictive between different Outer Planes.

From the perspective that "one level is too much," four levels is an insane power loss. Screw it -- from /any/ perspective, four levels is an insane power loss. The fact that it is worse /without/ leaving the Outer Planes does not make it /better/.

Of course, none of this is an inconsistency with the actual material. Things vary, to be sure, but that variance is in keeping with the rules and principles of the setting itself. Nothing is self-contradictory. And, as you noted, some people quite enjoy this.

Some people do. Some people play Hackmaster with no sense of irony.

It's /worse/ than simple inconsistency; it's consistent inconsistency. It's not self-contradictory because the lore has established that the very nature of reality itself is contradiction.

This is another area of fundamental disagreement between us, then. When we got paladins in the 3.5 incarnation of Dark Sun in Dragon magazine, I cringed.

Well, now, hold on a second. Hold. On. A second.

One, Dragon Magazine.

Two, even considering point one, I feel /absolutely certain/ that there is more to this conversion than "paladins in Dark Sun."

Three, DRAGON MAGAZINE.

That represented a degree of homogenization that I didn't find desirable at all. I think that the diversification of the campaign settings was a good thing, as it showed that D&D could be more than a pastiche of a pulp/Tolkien mixture.

Okay, stop that. Pulp is not a genre. You cannot pastiche "pulp." It's like writing a recipe including the phrase, "chop the onion finely with a kitchen utensil." Well, you'd damn well better pick the right one.

D&D is a pastiche of fantasy fiction popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. But the important thing is that that pastiche is /specific/, and has an identifiable character. That identifiable character is clear in all of the AD&D1 campaign settings and... let me think... yes... I would say /none/ of the campaign settings introduced after the release of AD&D2. Mystara does not count.

Again, this doesn't make them /bad/. I enjoy them all, except Birthright which to be fair I've never spent any real time with. But if the objective is to make a unified D&D cosmology, I do not think the Planescape version of the Great Wheel is it.

Insofar as the depiction of elves goes, I lay that one largely at the feet of Tolkien, since most of the "PC race" demihumans are lifted fairly whole-cloth from Middle-Earth (though, to be fair, the idea of "powerful elven wizards" doesn't seem to be too Tolkien-esque, I suppose).

This has been said many times before, but: Elven PCs -- in any edition of D&D -- do not closely resemble Tolkien's elves at all.

That said, I'm not sure what you mean by 2E's eladrin not being to elves as angels are to humans, since that struck me as exactly what they are. Unless I'm misremembering, mortal petitioners can become eladrin, after all (unlike, say, the guardinals), which sort of puts them in the same boat as angels - now, this was divided up by mortal alignment, rather than mortal race, but that's not something that ever concerned me.

It's just the impression that I got. I could very well be incorrect, or at least thinking wishfully.

I don't see it as being that cut and dried, at least in terms for how prevalent that particular design philosophy was in 4E. Things like merging the Elemental Planes and the Abyss seemed more like "we have this one thing, that should be two."

The Abyss was a victim of the numbskull decision that Chaotic Evil was SUPER EVIL, and I won't defend that.

pemerton

Legend
Hm, I don't recall that being there; the first place I remember it is from the Player's Guide to Faerun - that may be because that reference explicitly called out that it connected the Realms cosmology to the Greyhawk one.
I don't know PGtF.

MotP, p 61:

Depending on your cosmology, the Plane of Shadow may lead to alternative Material Planes and other planes of existence. . .

Shadow travelers may attempt to seek out a portal to an alternate Material Plane or an Outer Plane. . . If your cosmology doesn't include alternate Material Planes (or they haven't been discovered yet), travelers are unable to open such a portal.​

And on p 62 there is a diagram showing hw the Plane of Shadow links alternate Material Planes, and thereby may link alternate cosmologies.

And while I've got the book in front of me, I'll reply to this:

The PF Shadow Plane is essentially the same as the 2e/3e Shadow Plane, a dark mirror of the Material plane, while the 4e Shadowfell is an amalgamation of Shadow, the Negative Energy Plane, Ravenloft, and elements of the Greek Underworld. I find them quite difference in terms of what they're there to represent and the implementation thereof.
the Shadowfell *is* a dark mirror of the material plane, where things look decayed/twisted in relation to the Material counterparts, and where the very essence of the plane instills a dreadful malaise upon the soul.
But that's the thing: that's not in any way like the classic D&D Shadow Plane, and largely why the Shadowful didn't do much for me. I'd much prefer something like the approach that we see more in PF or pre-4e D&D. Warped yes, decayed and instilling a dreadful malaise upon the soul no.
3E MotP, pp 61-62:

While the Plane of Shadows is not evil in and of itself, it is home to a wide variety of foul creatures that hate the light and the living. The best known denizen of the plane is the shadow, an undead creature that sucks the strength from adventurers . . . The Plane of Shadow has native versions of many of the plants and animals found on the Material Plane, but the shadow versions are twisted, dark variants.

There are numerous stories of castles and entire cities that have been sucked up by the Plane of Shadow over the years. Some still survive, but they have been warpd by the insidious, toxic nature of the Plane of Shadow. . .

[O]ver decades, the Plane of Shadow is toxic to non-natives.​

I don't personally see any difference between the toxicity that the MotP describes, and the "dreadful malaise" that Shemeska denies is part of the pre-4e Plane of Shadow.

pemerton

Legend
On the issue of "creation" vs "destruction", and "expansion" vs "invalidation".

This depends heavily on whether one cares for the tone/theme/resonance of a story element, or what one might call its "procedural" details.

For me, fusing the Shadow Plane (as characterised in quotes in my previous post), the Glooms of Hades and the Negative Material Plane does not invalidate anything, but rather validates the theme and tone of these elements, because (to borrow [MENTION=78752]DMZ2112[/MENTION]'s phrase) I no longer have to come up with ad hoc and unsatisfying reasons why two thematically near-identical things are really two.

It's only if I'm focused on procedural matters like which spells work in which plane, or the fact that shadows (from the Plane of Shadow) suck STR whereas wraiths (from the Negative Material Plane) suck levels, that the diference between these elements has any significance.

For someone coming from my perspective 4e is validating of the D&D cosmological tradition. That's why I thought when I got it, and still think today, that Worlds & Monsters is one of the best D&D books I own.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
The Abyss was a victim of the numbskull decision that Chaotic Evil was SUPER EVIL, and I won't defend that.

Hey, self! Don't tell me what to do! You're not the boss of me!

Fine, jerk! Go on, then! Make an ass of yourself!

I will! I'll show you! I'll show you all!

I've done some thinking about this point, and in retrospect the Abyss is actually an excellent example of what it is I like so much about the D&D4 cosmology. It is irreverent, to say the least, but it is part of a narrative that ties together a lot of very old D&D cosmology.

First a little background. One of the things that has always chapped my hide about D&D cosmology is that its most interesting narrative bits don't fit right. The two best examples I can think of are The Rod of Seven Parts and the Wind Dukes of Aaqa (although many of the AD&D1 artifacts are pretty good examples) and the Temple and Princes of Elemental Evil.

Now, the Rod of Seven Parts is old. 1976 old. Not that things from the late 70s are old in general (he says, self-consciously), but in terms of roleplaying games it is pretty freaking old. It's story is that old, too; its original publication mentions the Wind Dukes, and the Battle of Pesh, and Miska the Wolf-Spider.

If you've never read the boxed set Rod of Seven Parts adventure from the 90s, I think you can probably safely skip it. It's not a bad campaign, insofar as you can package a campaign in a box, but Skip Williams tries so hard to shoehorn the myth of the Rod into Planescape, and it is so obvious that it just does not go.

Similarly the Princes of Elemental Evil. Are they demon princes? Are they elementals? If they're the former, why are they elemental? If they're the latter, why are they evil?

I realize that Planescape /made/ places for these concepts retroactively, but it was not designed to contain them.

The Abyss in D&D4, on the other hand, was designed with specific D&D lore in mind. It is created by Tharizdun, defining for the first time exactly what it was that he did that caused /every other god on Oerth/ to gang up and lock him away. It explains the origin of the Princes of Elemental Evil, too, because it binds chaos, evil, and elemental power into a single location.

As much as I hate the Chaotic Evil is SUPER EVIL move, it is things like the Abyss that really sell me on D&D4 cosmology. Yes, Planescape was also built on established AD&D1 lore, but it evolved away from its origins. The D&D4 cosmology does not. It grows outward but in a logical fashion that says, "Yes, D&D is played here," at every turn.

I've been writing this post on and off for hours now. It's time to stop. Hopefully I've made some semblance of my point.

For someone coming from my perspective 4e is validating of the D&D cosmological tradition. That's why I thought when I got it, and still think today, that Worlds & Monsters is one of the best D&D books I own.
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], I do not consider us to be ideological allies in the slightest -- I mean at all -- so I'm a little flabbergasted to admit that I've apparently given you so much experience that I can't give you any more.

That said, your words make me weep heartfelt tears of agreement and regret for what could have been.

Klaus

First Post

I thought what was done with the Abyss was one of the better notions of the 4e cosmology, coupling the ephemeral nature of the Elemental Chaos with the malicious intent of Tharizdum to create a true heart of darkness, where the multiverse spirals away into entropy and oblivion.

The 4e cosmology has several great themes, and even ramp up the confict between Law and Chaos, even though these forces aren't explicitly included in the alignment chart. The cosmology works as a great river, flowing from *somewhere* beyond even the Astral Sea (a place of eternal creation). Then you have the Astral Sea, where things are permanent/eternal/immortal. Where the Astral Sea touches the Elemental Chaos, you have the Material Plane, where things persist but change, evolve but remain the same, where opposits clash but remain in balance. Beyond the Material Plane you have the Elemental Chaos, where things do not persist, but also aren't wasted (everything turns into something else, in a constant recycling ring). And beyond the Elemental Chaos, you have the Abyss (a place of eternal destruction), opposite not to the Astral Sea, but to the place *beyond* the Astral Sea.

It's a rather elegant cosmological construct that still gives you all the blocks to rebuild previous cosmologies just by changing the pieces around.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I thought what was done with the Abyss was one of the better notions of the 4e cosmology, coupling the ephemeral nature of the Elemental Chaos with the malicious intent of Tharizdum to create a true heart of darkness, where the multiverse spirals away into entropy and oblivion.

Alignment issues aside, I agree. What I like about it is that it is relevant on a whole-setting scale. In previous editions, the Abyss was always a passive threat, but unless you were specifically running a demon-themed campaign or actually playing adventures /in/ the Abyss, it was just another Outer Plane. The planes were all essentially high-level descriptions of nonlinear, sculptural dungeons (this one's a bottomless crevasse, that one is a series of gigantic metal cubes, the third one is air sandwiched between two facing habitable surfaces).

The individual planes in Planescape do not /matter/ -- not in the way the Rule of Threes, or the Unity of Rings, or the eternal conflict between Jazirian and Ahriman matters. Even the Blood War, which is a pretty thematic bit of the setting, takes place on trackless battlefields across the Lower Planes that could really exist on any of them -- it is not tied to specific planar ideas.

By contrast, in D&D4 cosmology, the Abyss isn't just a hole full of destructive jerks, it's the Orifice From Which All Destructive Jerkism Springs. No matter what threat you are combating in D&D4, it is underpinned by the existence of the Abyss. It matters. It's relevant.

I think the very name "World Axis" is a good metaphor for this phenomenon. In Planescape, the Great Wheel revolves around the Prime Material. But in D&D4, the Prime Material revolves around the World Axis. And I think the latter is the way a cosmology ought to feel.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads