• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E L&L 1/7/2013 The Many Worlds of D&D

Interesting synthesis Mike Mearls.

Still, as a "technical clarification" (perhaps in a sidebar), I suggest that 5e include the "D&D Realities" concept from Bruce Heard, whereby each of the different ruleset "lenses" through which the D&D worlds have been viewed-- OD&D, Classic D&D, 1e, 2e, SAGA, 3e, and 4e--are each nominally a different Reality.

https://sites.google.com/site/dndphilmont/d-d-realities

The 5e cosmology Mike describes would be the depiction of the "5e Reality".

Paraxis

Explorer
I have never understood why cosmology of any sort makes a difference. I have played almost every edition of dungeons & dragons, and many of the published worlds, including spelljammer and planescape, where the planes are on some chart has never once been important. If a spell or portal sends you to a plane you just go there then find your way back.

But to be honest I don't care much about the map of the world either, if the adventure takes the characters to a far off land then they just walk a short way, or a ship, lightning rail, airship, teleport spell, or some portal sends them there.

To those that went nuts over the great wheel going away with 4th or this plane not being next to that one, how does it actually effect your game?

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
Interesting, definitely a bit of a mash-up, but I will be sticking with the Plane of Shadow and Plane of Faerie bordering/mirroring the Prime, and the Ethereal (where Ravenloft is, one of numerous demi-planes, also where dreamscapes are) connecting the Prime to the Inner Planes.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I kind of like the Feywild and Shadowfell replacing the Positive and Negative Planes. But I really don't like an entire dimension named "Ravenloft". (I'd love to see it as a place in the Shadowfell).

I'd really prefer it be called something like The Gloom, or The Blight (or even Gloomlands or Blightlands), but I guess Shadowfell gives it some product identity. Ravenloft sounds like the name of a castle, (which it is), not a dimension.

I'm hoping Mearls is aware of what seems to be a consensus on the "Ravenloft" issue. At least that's what I'm seeing, both here and on the WotC forum.

Elodan

Adventurer
I was fine with either cosmology and I like this compromise. I was really bugged by using Ravenloft instead of the Shadowfell for the Feywild equivalent of the dark side.

Yeah, Ravenloft is a bad name to use for a whole grand plane. It's one spot.

Maybe 'the Dread Domains' could work instead of 'the Shadowfell.'

Remove ads