D&D 5E L&L for 5/12

Philousk

Explorer
About Identify spell on the outcome of the last playtest version, I do not know if it's me who dreams but the part about material components seems unfinished. I mean there is not even a punctuation mark to conclude the last sentence.

An infusion That includes wine, an owl feather, and crushed pearl (...)

I wonder if there is no missing words to mean that the cost of crushed pearl is 100 GP as it once was in previous editions.

Otherwise, I am pleased that the cast time is extended to one hour (ritual). With Pathfinder, it required a simple action (I guess it is also negligible with DD4). The speech that the magic would not be as pervasive, but more rare and mysterious, with D & D Next has lost some of its luster in my humble opinion with the possibility to know the properties of magic items with only a short rest as a price to pay. I would believe that the rules should stipulate to be attune with a magical item that will require a long rest instead of a short rest and I wonder if it would not be too easy even with that. Thus, with the current situation, this is a good way to find again character Christmas tree types. No thank you!

pemerton

Legend
more rare and mysterious

<snip>

the rules should stipulate to be attune with a magical item that will require a long rest instead of a short rest and I wonder if it would not be too easy even with that.
Making identifying magic items take more time and energy at the gaming table won't necessarily make them mysterious. It may marginally reduce the number in play, if players (i) won't use un-Identified items, and (ii) don't bother to have their PCs identify all the ones they find. Alternatively, it may increase the amount of play-time spent resolving item-identification.

Neither of those things seems steeped in mystery to me.

Remove ads